User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    We've been over this. It's obviously purple.
    You have an obsession with empirical evidence.
    The future is for the unafraid.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    You have an obsession with empirical evidence.
    You should learn to take note of empirical evidence that someone is joking.

And no, you're the one with an obsession. I only have to keep bringing it up because you never seem to take anything seriously without it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am most definitely a pseudo-intellectual.

I think most people are.

How often do you hear people talk about their opinions of human nature, the economy, political issues, scientific issues, philosophy, etc.? How often are the people speaking about these things experts about what they are talking about?

If we didn't have people who were pseudo-intellectuals, some of us (at least one of us, namely me) would be bored out of our skulls.

I really cannot converse too long on what happened recently to someone, or who said what about who...just doesn't hold my attention. I listen, because I like hearing people talk, but there is a limit.

There certainly are other types of conversation...but even a thread like this invites pseudo-intellectualism. Who here is an expert on intellectualism, or an expert on who ought to or ought not participate in intellectual discussions? Who is qualified to accurately asses what is beyond the logical faculties of a particular individual?
    I agree with this....although, I don't think being intellectual means being an expert on a topic. I simply see it as a genuine curiosity into intellectual matters. I would say I am intellectually curious, but not an expert intellectual at all.

I think pseudo-intellectuals are people who want to seem smart/knowledgeable, but really have little interest in exploring a topic. Rather, they just like to hear themselves talk and to appear intellectual. It's a facade, not a sincere interest.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

You don't need to be well educated or an expert to be a genuine intellectual.

It's official. I guess we can all heave a sigh of relief!
    I'm male and over 30, FYI.
    Preferences: 20% Extravert, 98% Intuitive, 68% Thinker, 17% Perceiving

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Circle View Post
    Honest question--am I the only one who sees a lot of them posting on MBTIc?

In my opinion a pseudo-intellectual is someone who attempts to wield arguments beyond the capabilities of their logical facilities. They are the 15-year-old who insists on driving a manual sports car... can't blame them for wanting to try, but I feel it is appropriate to point out that there are negative consequences of misrepresentation.

Discuss... and try to keep it polite, you or I could easily fall into this categorization.
    Fuck, we're all pseudo-intellectuals. you, me, and everybody else. If you don't want to meet pseudo-intellectuals, get the fuck of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    I believe that when you use the term "pseudo-intellectual", you are just watering down the term "idiot". I can't blame you for using lighter vocabulary though.

Yes, I see them. I probably am one.

This thread is probably going to result in an "NT bashes everyone else" conversation. You're seeking identification through intelligence.
    NT's love to bash other NT's as well. And yeah, you are right with the "I probably am one." part. Everybody on this entire forum (and the entire internet) is one. Everybody who voices his opinion in one or another way thinks he or she matters in some way aka, a pseudo intellectual. Only people who voice other people's opinions aren't pseudo-intellectual, but they're called 'sheople'. Neither choice is 'wrong'. But both think that each other is wrong (including me, I prefer pseudo-intelectual over sheople).
    (removed)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by proximo View Post
    You don't need to be well educated or an expert to be a genuine intellectual.

It's official. I guess we can all heave a sigh of relief!

Isabel Myers Briggs would be pretty pseudo-intellectual otherwise, or maybe she was a pseudo-intellectual .
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Ginkgo

I retract my previous comment about the "idiot" terminology.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I agree with this....although, I don't think being intellectual means being an expert on a topic. I simply see it as a genuine curiosity into intellectual matters. I would say I am intellectually curious, but not an expert intellectual at all.

I think pseudo-intellectuals are people who want to seem smart/knowledgeable, but really have little interest in exploring a topic. Rather, they just like to hear themselves talk and to appear intellectual. It's a facade, not a sincere interest.
    Probably true. +1
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Like OrangeAppled mentioned already, I was always under the impression that a pseudo-intellectual was someone who liked the idea or appearance of intellectual discussion, but really could not care less about the topic in any genuine way. So, someone who discusses some political or philosophical issue just to show to everyone that they are intellectual, not because they are curious or actually care about the topic, is a pseudo-intellectual.

It's hard to tell on this forum who is and who is not a pseudo-intellectual because it's difficult to read people's intentions through text. That said, there is a tendency for pseudo-intellectuals to talk extensive nonsense because their lack of care for the subject makes them intellectually lazy or sloppy, and this is immediately identifiable.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Yea, when it comes to MBTI, THEN I'll start throwing around the pseudo-intellectual stigma. A lot of people think they're experts in the subject, but... nah. They presume to know/understand more about things that they can't know.

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.”
    SAY THAT IN THE MIRROR 50 TIMES...