User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Wind-Up Rex View Post
    Yes. This is my reason for hating philosophy, the majority of philosophers, and philosophy majors most of all. They should all die in a fire.
    You're kidding, right? Philosophy kicks ass in that questioning status quo is a way to improve critical thinking while taking a can opener to our self-limited minds.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Jenaphor View Post
    I suppose you can spin this off to generalised terms of hoarding, whether material objects or intangibles. The human condition is insecurity which is fear manifested. Everyone hoards to some degree, in order to control the uncontrollable in the form of uncontrollable offset or direct control which includes competitive advantage, a clawing upwards for the right to survive.
    Very true, and I suppose if you put it this way, knowledge and 5 syllable words are probably smarter to hoard then material possessions since you can't take knowledge away. Can be a homeless, starving, drug addicted intellectual.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Very true, and I suppose if you put it this way, knowledge and 5 syllable words are probably smarter to hoard then material possessions since you can't take knowledge away. Can be a homeless, starving, drug addicted intellectual.
    Hey, hey, had we not coveted land based food sources, we'd all still be shark bait! Either that or we'd have enslaved sharks like cats, dogs and horses.

*wiggles dead fish*

"Here sharky, sharky, sharky. Good boy for taking out those Jehovah's Witnesses!"

MBTI
    INTP

I am a pseudo intellectual posing as an intellectual

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I am a pseudo intellectual posing as an intellectual
    I am an intellectual posing as a pseudo-intellectual. Think about THAT one for a minute! :witty:
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I am an intellectual posing as a pseudo-intellectual. Think about THAT one for a minute! :witty:
    We could have amazing conversations

MBTI
    INTP

@shortnsweet. Since you bumped this one, can you tell me what exactly is a pseudo-intellectual? I'm guessing it was either everyone on the forum who isn't a licensed psychologist or someone who is arrogant and writes as if their opinions are always to be taken as facts.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Pseudo intellectuals are people who go around trying to impress people with their knowledge in order to make up for their lack of a more naturally developed worldview and reasoning facility. We've all met them. Those people whose every sentence includes a name-drop. Those people who bring esoteric topics/writers/philosophers/musicians up despite their lack of relevance to conversation. Those people whose wit is very clumsy, yet they insist on imposing it on every conversation (goddamn puns! They're not okay unless they're said ironically.) Those people who like to pontificate self-righteously and uselessly (and usually without having been asked), especially on topics related to motivation and living life (because they honestly believe that their sage-like wisdom is so valuable that it's their duty to spread it faster than a bad crotch-rash.)

There are more symptoms, but in all likelihood they'll be easy to identify. Many of them actually are professors, too. For fictional examples, you should consult any Woody Allen movie, because he loves to write in at least one pompous bastard pseudo intellectual to be hated by the audience.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There are many ways something can be pseudo-intellectual. My primary idea of a pseudo-intellectual is someone who seeks knowledge so they can display it as a part of their facade.

An actual intellectual may happen to use a word that no one else in the room understands because it was the most accurate word for what they meant to say at the time.

A pseudo-intellectual uses a word knowing that no one else in the room will understand it so as to build their image.
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 11-03-2011 at 04:06 PM.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There are many ways something can be pseudo-intellectual. My primary idea of a pseudo-intellectual is someone who seeks knowledge so they can display it as a part of their facade.

An actual intellectual may happen to use a word that no one else in the room understands because it was the most accurate word for what they meant to say at the time.

A pseudo-intellectual uses a word knowing that no one else in the room will understand it so as it build their image.
    Normal Human: That man was an insufferable blusterer with antiquated ideas.

Pseudo Intellectual: Indeed, he may be the most invidious, antediluvian rodomontade I have ever heard.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness