User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    YaYa

Reading some Chompsky gave me a real distaste for "Intellectuals". I see these people everyday.

He basically says professors dress up simply concepts with complex language to try to give it more weight. A "barrier to entry" if you will.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    Reading some Chompsky gave me a real distaste for "Intellectuals". I see these people everyday.

He basically says professors dress up simple concepts with complex language to try to give it more weight. A "barrier to entry" if you will.
    So many people do this. Most of the time it just makes the laymen leave the room which gives a certain satisfaction to the pseudo-intellectual. You're not helping people see your point by putting it in a tailored suit and giving it a big top hat and a monocle.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

He basically says professors dress up simply concepts with complex language to try to give it more weight. A "barrier to entry" if you will.
    I agree 100%.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Sniffles

Yes, the proper term for this is Sophistry.

Yes, this is infuriating. Most of the presentations in college (80 minutes) can be summed up in 5 complex sentences without any loss of information if we leave the unnecessary gaudiness.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Yes, the proper term for this is Sophistry.
    Aha! concise ideas communicated simply vs disorganized ideas communicated with sophisticated vocabulary?

Here is another side question... Is a vast vocabulary really useful if other people do not know the same words?

MBTI
    ISTP

"Oh yeah? Why don't YOU learn to drive?"

a book is a gallery of words. Peguy or Pequot?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    So many people do this. Most of the time it just makes the laymen leave the room which gives a certain satisfaction to the pseudo-intellectual. You're not helping people see your point by putting it in a tailored suit and giving it a big top hat and a monocle.
    Dress it up with a flourish! Otherwise, its bald and unpresentable

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Personally, I know I'm smart, I know the limits of my own knowledge and understanding, and I know what truths I'm seeking. However, not once have I, or would I, be so HONESTLY (because I do espouse a lot of half serious, trollish arrogance around here for kicks) audacious as to call myself an "intellectual". When people do such things they either do it in full knowledge of their own insecurities or they do it in complete ignorance of their own mental state.
    I think you can call yourself an intellectual as long as you've an interest in things which are far removed from reality. There's no justification otherwise lol. I usually assume that knowledge or data is easier to obtain than insight into one own's psyche, which was why I liked proximo's analysis. It's spot on, even for myself. At some point in time, I realised that it's a fallacy to rank topics by content, but I still can't help doing it. Its kind of like saying, we should accept humans for who they are, while secretly resenting the fact that they are different from you in some way.

MBTI
    INxP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I tend to get a bit embarrassed by my pseudo-intellectual ramblings at times and will pronounce them as such, since I know I don't have all the facts and am often going off perceptions. I have to agree with OrangeAppled here, the annoying "pseudo-intellectuals" are ones that have no genuine interest in a topic but simply want to sound intelligent. There's a difference between bouncing ideas around and talking out of your ass.

Well, most of the time.