• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Depression

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
For as long as I can remember, I've felt unsatisfied with nearly all my relationships. This was/is a subtle feeling that is telling me something is missing and that no one really knows me or understands who I am. I've always attributed this to displeasure with sensing and or feeling types and their strangle hold on our sociological/cultural identities. A damaging encounter with a female this weekend has pushed said feelings to the surface once again, and I have expressed them to two close friends. Both friends have pointed out that depression begins with feelings similar to what I have expressed and have attributed said feelings to my NT nature.

Now, NTs on this board as well as INTP central have expressed similar feelings and I'm wondering if "we" are all actually depressed or if the current definition of depression is flawed. Is there are correlation between depression and intelligence?

Opinions?

OctaviaCaesar

MBTI Type
INFJ
I find that the IN is a very potent combination for feeling isolated within oneself and it's very hard for others to relate to and understand this inside life. Perhaps that's what you meant by "intelligence"?

HeavyMetal

MBTI Type
ixxj
Sometimes I get depressed.. If you are depressed due to external circumstances, then yes, that happens to everyone. I think sensitive people get depressed more often.. I'm artistic and a perfectionist which sometimes causes me to feel depressed when things just don't work out perfectly. If you are feeling depressed not due to external circumstances, but internal, then I suggest (innocently) that you look into antidepressants (if this applies, and you believe in that sort of thing). Just my 2 cents.

JonJT

MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes I get depressed.. If you are depressed due to external circumstances, then yes, that happens to everyone. I think sensitive people get depressed more often.. I'm artistic and a perfectionist which sometimes causes me to feel depressed when things just don't work out perfectly. If you are feeling depressed not due to external circumstances, but internal, then I suggest (innocently) that you look into antidepressants (if this applies, and you believe in that sort of thing). Just my 2 cents.

Impetus for said feelings is mixture of external circumstances and internal reasoning. I've found that I'm a much happier person overall now that I spend most of my time away from home and have a few quality friends.
I honestly never considered getting any kind of help. Like I said before, my thoughts were/are somewhat of a product of my environment and not completely internal. And in such cases, I feel pills are a poor fix for the problem.

HeavyMetal

MBTI Type
ixxj
Completely understandable. So I guess back to the topic of NTs and depression; I don't think depression is synonymous with NT qualities. However, I do think that Sensors may be more reluctant to call themselves depressed, and NFs more likely to seek coping through relationships.

antireconciler

it's a nuclear device
MBTI Type
Intj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so
I guess if depression were reasonable, then it wouldn't be so bad. It can only be bad because it's not reasonable, but that's also good, because it means no one has any reason to be depressed. Now, if intelligent people are pretty good at reasoning ... wouldn't they be the first to find this out, rather than the last?

Anyway, even if you can persuade your mind, you can't tell your feelings how to feel. BUT, at least you'll know that it's just temporary, because something that doesn't make sense can't really persist. It's when you don't believe that that depression becomes convincing and takes on a life of it's own. If you know that it's just a passing feeling, really grok the fact ... then you won't bother to think about what depression is correlated with or anything like that. Something unreasonable can't be correlated with anything, because that would mean it was reasonable itself ... and thus cease to be depression.

Anyway, it's fun to think about ... if we become quick and sharp at it though it makes it harder for us to think things that don't make sense might make some sense after all ... like the nasty things we tell ourselves for instance.

NOT that this applies to you. Just talking because I like to~

ygolo

My termites win
There are a lot of reasons given for why people are depressed.

Chemical impalance, excessive negative rumination, not completely coping with losses in life, lack of supportive/intimate relationships, emotional needs unmet for a long time, improper self-care, living for a long time in the company of mainly depressed feelings, staying in abusive relationships....

I can't find the articles again, but I had read earlier that one study found isfp's most suceptable to depression, and entj's least succeptable.

I think being an I is most likely to lead to negative rumination + lack of supportive relationships. E may lead to "performance" fatigue or stretching oneself too thin.

N may lead some what to lack of self-care due to pre-occupation w/ an ideal/project. S may lead to dismissing hopeful options as unrealistic.

P may lead to immoderation. J may lead to more jumping to conclusions without enough consideration.

T may lead to ignoring emotional life, while F may dwell on negative females too much.

I think there are many types of depression, and many factors contributing to a particular person's depression.

In my case, IMO the top 4 were:
1) Excessive Negative Rumination.
2) Ignoring emotional life and relationships.
3) Lack of self-care.
4) Immoderation.

Also, I really dislike Dr. Phil. Random, but it seemed relevant somehow, because he is part of the SHAM (Self-Help and Actualization Movement)

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
T may lead to ignoring emotional life, while F may dwell on negative females too much.

Kekeke, was this a Freudian slip or intentional?

In my case, IMO the top 4 were:
1) Excessive Negative Rumination.
2) Ignoring emotional life and relationships.
3) Lack of self-care.
4) Immoderation.

Wow, perhaps we have had similar problems with moodiness?

You know, that's interesting that you list 2 more 'physical' or 'hygiene' factors for depression.

I actually agree, I think extremely basic things like drinking enough water, healthy diet and exercise, getting enough sleep, grooming, staying away from stimulants and sedatives like liquor/nicotine/caffeine/sugar, getting enough sunshine and fresh air, having hobbies you enjoy (that don't trash your health) -- these do a HUGE thing to regulate and elevate mood and sense of well-being.

And also the first one: rumination. A lot of folks, well, mostly myself, analyze feelings to death. But after a point, it doesn't help. You're just dwelling on things and for me, I only spiral downwards. It makes it worse. Reading the problem areas for a Ennegram 4 was also illuminating, because that's a problem area for 4s (not that I am a 4 or anything), dwelling too much on emotions. It's not helpful.

Now, I process then I let it go.

And allowing yourself to be connected to other people, to let people be your friends and open up and spend the effort to be with friends creating a support system, this goes A HUGE way to your sense of mental health and happiness. Everyone needs people who love them. Everyone.

I would also add:

5) Cut out toxicity

I'm kind of cold. I'll just cut people and things out. It's probably a little immature, and I admit, I wish I could be more spiritually advanced (ha, I'm part of the SHAM!) but honestly I know I do not have the skills to deal with toxic things or people in my life. So I cut them out. The end. Except sometimes it's not possible. :doh:

ygolo

My termites win
Kekeke, was this a Freudian slip or intentional?

Hehe. Perhaps a Freudian slip, though I haven't been thinking about "negative females", I have been reflecting on my feelings about a particular female.

It's funny I don't have a spell-checker, so nothing could have transformed feelings to females other than my own brain.

5) Cut out toxicity

I would phrase it more like "staying safe." But frankly, as an introvert, for me, I need to take more risks. I have always gotten along well with people many others thought were annoying, weird, or otherwise not worth their time, so I have a hard time thinking of people as "toxic". In the end, I determine how much time I spend with people and how much they affect me, it is simply a preference. IMO, I am not being cold or mean if I prefer to spend my time in other ways.

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
For as long as I can remember, I've felt unsatisfied with nearly all my relationships. This was/is a subtle feeling that is telling me something is missing and that no one really knows me or understands who I am. I've always attributed this to displeasure with sensing and or feeling types and their strangle hold on our sociological/cultural identities. A damaging encounter with a female this weekend has pushed said feelings to the surface once again, and I have expressed them to two close friends. Both friends have pointed out that depression begins with feelings similar to what I have expressed and have attributed said feelings to my NT nature.

Now, NTs on this board as well as INTP central have expressed similar feelings and I'm wondering if "we" are all actually depressed or if the current definition of depression is flawed. Is there are correlation between depression and intelligence?

Opinions?

There's a negative correlation between happiness and realistic view of the world. Such as happy people tend to have highly optimistic concepts of themselves and others.

Depressed people are often right about many things they point out. It's even more annoying when other people insist on seeing things through rose colored glasses.

Is it possible to be realistic yet happy? I think so. I'd like to believe that I am. I think the key lies in expectancies. The less you expect from people, the more satisfying relationships with them will be. I don't expect other people to be particularly trustworthy, moral, understanding, helpful... when they are, all the best, but I don't believe they will be necessarily. I just take them as they are.

I think it can be a problem with NT's seeing as we like people to make sense. We think they're all interested in self improvement like we do. That they can be reasoned with and can change their ways if they realize they're wrong. Well it's time to throw that NT logic out of the window. People don't make alot of sense... well depending on how you look at it. They act on their most obscure fears, needs, wants, etc. If you envision all people as essentially flawed and alogical, you realize there will always be annoying things in anyone. No one can measure up to your full expectancies - because they're human. The good news is that along with all of their flaws they also have positive traits which are pleasant ;) .