User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: ENTPs at work

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Default ENTPs at work

So I'm doing a gap year with a scheme called year in industry (Yini) at the ship yards in glasgow.I've just had my first mentor visit where you have a meeting with you mentor and one of the people from Yini.

It was interesting because my mentor hadn't quite been so bluntly honest before and he is an ESTJ.

One of the main points was that he didn't think I was "playing the game".
    As in I don't really iron my clothes. I wear short sleaved shirts. I eat a lot at my desk. I don't fold things into to folders.

I don't act the same way as everyone else.

And he thinks I should. In his own words "you need to start playing the game".

Now I know I could if I tried but I don't know if I want to.

So my question is ENTPs how do you get by with "playing the game"?

Just till you know for an ESTJ my mentor is alright and most of what I do is managment related. Operations dept for any engineers.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP

I have been told by many close friends and my even psychologist that I not only fail to play "the game" but fully reject it and may even by incapable of playing it.
    Which baffles them because I'm *insert virtuous quality*.
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    SEXY

Those silly SJ's usually don't understand things that are different from what they are used to. You should explain to him why your way is without a doubt better then his way.

MBTI
    ENTP

And he will with out a doubt shit himself.
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Those silly SJ's usually don't understand things that are different from what they are used to. You should explain to him why your way is without a doubt better then his way.
    The problem is due to me being a gap year student who just left school and him being a seniors manager in the company for 30 years thats kinda hard.

Hes trying to teach me how to get by in the company all the way up to exec but the thing is while I know what he teaches is right I detest it.

I think I should of tried to get a diffferent job!
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I have been told by many close friends and my even psychologist that I not only fail to play "the game" but fully reject it and may even by incapable of playing it.
    Which baffles them because I'm *insert virtuous quality*.
    Any specific reason you see a psychologist?
    I often thought about seeing one and try to talk him into believing I have a personality disorder or something funny.
    When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story.

Video Challenge Question Video
    Race: Werepire
    Alignment: Neutral Good
    7w8 sx>so>sp
    Give me an E! E
    Give me a N! N
    Give me a T! T
    Give me a P! P
    What's that? Yeah right, that's me!

Always expect the unexpected! - Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    eNTP

I know what you mean; I used to utterly reject "the game". And I was loud about it--I complained to teachers, screeched at my parents, and tried to rile up my friends for revolution during recess! This was when I was quite young, of course. Over time, though, I managed to sort of teach myself how to function in society. I chalk it up to Fe.

Sometimes I find myself being impatient with people who just can't bring themselves to figure it out like I did. At the same time, I detest people who advocate "the game" like it's the only system that works. Hmmm.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

Hello

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluxkom View Post
    Any specific reason you see a psychologist?
    I often thought about seeing one and try to talk him into believing I have a personality disorder or something funny.
    Mental anguish, thought train incoherency, lack of energy, identity crises, parents. You name it.
    I went to see him to get diagnosed for something because something was just wrong. It ended up being (as of right now) some kind of bipolar disorder. We also just talk about life.

At one point I told him it was my intention to beat him to a diagnosis. Just to see if I could.

Oh no, I'M LATE FOR MY APPOINTMENT!
    You can call me Charles.

MBTI
    ENTP

CJ

Your gap year is tough - because you don't want to invest too much. The reality is - like it or not, you will eventually need to work with/for someone... hence to an extent you can be the full on normal version of yourself.

They are paying your to do their job, not your own.... if you can manage to adapt and meet them part of the way you are far more likely to survive...