User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: ISTJ or INTP?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I would think ISTJs would be more about organization than INTJs. I'm an NTJ and my room is a disaster.

I also think you should consider the possibility that you are an INTJ

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

>> But yet I don't feel particularly ISTJish. I mean I strongly dislike organizations, religions, military, traditions and formalities. <<

Those are just ISTJ stereotypes. It's easy to stereotype ISTJs because on the surface they show a formal face that people not close to the ISTJ see. Actually, they are among the most idiosyncratic, quirky and individualistic of the types. They need to be true to themselves. I read once that what ISTJs often need to do is embrace their individuality and become better aware that they are very different from other people and to relax with letting other people be who they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Well, I don't pay much attention to my surroundings. My apartment is always a mess, and so is my desktop too. I almost perceive organizing as a matter of great unimportance. Doesn't sound too J, wouldn't you say?
    Umm, not to tell you your type...but my ISTJs are lunatics about this crap. The funniest one has bills organized by months, dates, receipts stapled to each, and little notations. (I prefer the bags in the closet approach, each labeled with the respective year).

They are very disturbed by messes and things not being neat. They laugh at themselves about it but they admit it.

My INTJs are neat at times, but there is a depth to messiness when you see it. It can seem a bit messy, but they seem to have a theme, a goal in mind, a work in progress which has kept them from dealing with the mess. My favorite INTJ would make her own furniture and we would have dinners themed by "fire" or "portugal" or "tennis". So it might seem messy, but there was a goal underway typically.

The INTPs-can be very messy. The most hysterical one had to move offices. His desk had piles two feet deep of paper on it. We found paperwork that had been left for him in 1996 that required his signature. Most seem better than that as they will throw stuff out.

MBTI
    xxxx

Of all the ISTJs, Habba's posts were the ones I most felt that I could have written myself.

Just my side input.

Things that made me think I could be ISTJ (or IxTJ, at the least):
    When I do things I care about, I do them to a VERY high level of precision.
    I'm usually EXTREMELY punctual. In one sense, it's a precision in the realm of time.
    There was a period of time in which I actually enjoyed managing people... efficiently.
    While I don't always agree, I've heard I have an EXCELLENT memory.
    Although I was something of a "rebel" in school, intentionally breaking the rules wasn't usually my style. I was more for "get as close to crossing the line without actually crossing it" or "discussing WHY the rule should be removed." However, I shall admit to never being in full compliance with appear codes. (of course, I was subtle about it)
    When it came to home, I was completely against my mother's concept of "change," especially "change for change's sake."
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

What does having good memory have to do with anything, MZ?
    INTP | IEI - INFp

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Supposedly a sign of a strong Si, in the MBTI sense of the function.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrant View Post
    Si (dominant function for ISTJ/ISFJ and secondary for ESTJ/ESFJ) remembers the real details of past experiences in much greater depth than other types, which results in some amazing photographic memory and capacity for memorization of unevaluated data. (Si doesn't actually make decisions though; it just stores all this raw sensory information for future reference so that it can be most prepared when the time for a decision comes.)

Not to be confused with Ti (dominant for INTP/ISTP and secondary for ENTP/ESTP), which categorizes and evaluates data to create frameworks by which future data will be evaluated for consistency and accuracy. Ti can also show some pretty great memory once it's worked out the guiding principles of something, but Ti doesn't just store raw data the way Si does--it actually systematizes and evaluates, making decisions about the quality of the data and turning it into information.

Does either of these sound more familiar than the other, MZ?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Si (dominant function for ISTJ/ISFJ and secondary for ESTJ/ESFJ) remembers the real details of past experiences in much greater depth than other types, which results in some amazing photographic memory and capacity for memorization of unevaluated data. (Si doesn't actually make decisions though; it just stores all this raw sensory information for future reference so that it can be most prepared when the time for a decision comes.)

Not to be confused with Ti (dominant for INTP/ISTP and secondary for ENTP/ESTP), which categorizes and evaluates data to create frameworks by which future data will be evaluated for consistency and accuracy. Ti can also show some pretty great memory once it's worked out the guiding principles of something, but Ti doesn't just store raw data the way Si does--it actually systematizes and evaluates, making decisions about the quality of the data and turning it into information.

Does either of these sound more familiar than the other, MZ?
    Trust me, I've gone through this many times before. My memory is much, much more the second than the first.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Habba View Post
    Every test I've taken
    I can take any test any time anywhere and deliberately score (i know this is not the best word) any type I want.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Curzon View Post
    I can take any test any time anywhere and deliberately score (i know this is not the best word) any type I want.
    +89363490123

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Trust me, I've gone through this many times before. My memory is much, much more the second than the first.
    Fair enough. Would you describe yourself as highly introverted? I'm thinking maybe INTP who leans more on tertiary Si than on secondary Ne for you, at this point. You do seem exceptionally internally organized, but you have a sense of practicality and a distaste for imprecision and whimsy that strikes me as kind of Ti+Si.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?