User Tag List

12 Last

Oberon

Default The Graveyard's Untold Stories

Have you ever taken the opportunity to walk through a graveyard and consider the names and dates on the stones? I have. I will look at the grave marker of a man who died before the Great War and wonder, what was he like? What was his favorite food? Was he brisk, attentive, melancholy? What was his story? And I mourn not for the man, but for the richly detailed story of the man's life... a story that died away in pieces, as the last people who had ever known him also passed away.

Every marker in the graveyard represents thousands of days both good and bad, each with its own experiences and feelings and acts and impulses and thoughts, and the book of them is closed and sealed forever, never to be opened again. These were people, with hopes and dreams and vices and secrets, now all gone.

That's the sense I get when I wander through a graveyard. Does anyone else sense that?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Do you ever wonder if he knew one of your ancestors? That if he didn't trip over when he was 10 years old the change of events could have been that you'd never be born?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I thought this was about TypeC's Graveyard.

My church has a graveyard. One of the ghost tours in Old Town ends in it. Some interesting stories. Graveyards can be fascinating.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I love graveyards. I love seeing the history there. I found a stone in an old graveyard around here "bugler in the rev war" I want to tour all the little graveyards around the area but I have never gotten around to it. I don't enjoy new graveyards like the old ones you find in the weirdest places.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

I love a nice graveyard.

There is this one near where I live that is right over the ocean. A lot of rich people are buried their and they have some cool gravestones (like a 24' pyramid). Makes a casual walk with a friend a little bit more entertaining/spiritual. With Halloween/All Souls Day/All Saints Day just around the corner, it is time appropriate too.

When I get a grave stone I want it to be in a shape of a stone bench so people will be able to sit next to me when they go for graveyard strolls.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I thought this was about TypeC's Graveyard..
    Me too, thought it was gonna be like one of those "Best of...the worst" type threads of sifting through the Graveyard forum for a few gems.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Who knows what is buried there?

... i always think about the people and their narratives when I walk through a graveyard.
    And I wonder who will walk near my grave and wonder about me, once I am dead.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Same. It would have been an interesting thread.

Phantonym

Graveyards make me feel uneasy. I can't stand being around them for too long. Too sad. I do start to think about all the people and what kind of lives they've lived, what happened to them. I loved reading the names on the tombstones when I was a kid, I didn't fully realize the meaning of the place very well then.

FigerPuppet

That's the sense I get when I wander through a graveyard. Does anyone else sense that?
    Yes.