User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

Default How can I help an INTJ grieve?

And worse, grieve something not quite concrete? We're losing the baby it took us so long to conceive. He's devastated, but struggling with his response and knowing his own emotions.

To the uneducated eye, there's a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of hope that there will be a visible baby at our follow up ultrasound, and he's clinging to it. He's insisting that everything can still be okay. It's false hope. Truly. This is my area of expertise, and there is no way we're going to see a heartbeat on Tuesday. We're just not. Biology, pure and simple.

Anyway, the whole process is happening today, and I need him to be my big strong man and hold me through it. And I know he can't. The thought of it is breaking his heart.

How can I help him with this process?
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Eowyn View Post
    And worse, grieve something not quite concrete? We're losing the baby it took us so long to conceive. He's devastated, but struggling with his response and knowing his own emotions.

To the uneducated eye, there's a tiny, tiny, tiny sliver of hope that there will be a visible baby at our follow up ultrasound, and he's clinging to it. He's insisting that everything can still be okay. It's false hope. Truly. This is my area of expertise, and there is no way we're going to see a heartbeat on Tuesday. We're just not. Biology, pure and simple.

Anyway, the whole process is happening today, and I need him to be my big strong man and hold me through it. And I know he can't. The thought of it is breaking his heart.

How can I help him with this process?

I'm sorry, Eowyn.

It might work if you tell him outright that he can have all the time he needs to deal with his legitimate feelings, the kind of feelings that show his great character that you love, later, but right now you need him to turn off his feelings.

If he tells you he can't turn off his feelings, you could kindly and lovingly call bullshit and tell him you've seen him do it in the past, he just is caught up in his feelings now which makes him think he can't do it, but really he can. Just turn them off temporarily.

Note: he might not actually be able to do this, so don't have complete expectations that he will be able to, but if you have faith that this is something he's quite capable of doing for a short period of time he will probably figure out how to do it without too much problem.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

First off, you have my condolences. That is truly an unfortunate turn of events.

I don't like to speak for all of us, which is why you'll always notice I say "I" alot in my posts. I've also never had to deal with this kind of trauma. My best guess is remind him that you need him, and that it's best to focus on what he can do, which is be strong for you.

On the other hand, this kind of thing takes a heavy toll on even the strongest of people. Please take my advice with a grain of salt, as I can't even begin to know what he or you are going through.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ESfP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ESFP

Ok, plan for the day. I have girlfriends who have been through this already coming over to cry with me. DH is in the kitchen, making me breakfast on couch and taking care of the little ones. He's very, very involved with that at the moment. I think I'll let the girls take care of my emotional basket case stuff for today, and keep him out of it if I can. I can see him trying hard not to fall apart.
    "Every well-bred petty crook knows -- the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting."
    -Inara Serra

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I think this is not an easy thing to deal with, for anyone. I cannot even imagine what that would be like.

Personally, I'd listen to Usehername on this. But check, to see if he can handle it. Don't forget yourself in the process. If he's able to man up, take this time to grieve yourself already, so you can be there for him later. After all of this, take some time, just for the two of you, and tell him that it is ok to let go. To talk to you, to share the pain. He might be reluctant to do this, but he'll need it, and so will you. Let him fall apart, tell the world to come back later, and do the same for yourself. Ime, INTJs tend to struggle with their emotions, deal with the practical stuff first, and only later, way later, do they react as if the incident just occurred. Only later do their emotions really catch up. And it often confuses them and takes them by surprise. At that point, he'll need you to guide him through that maze, by asking questions, by making him talk about it.

Also..though grieving is necessary, make sure you both do not get stuck in it, stuck in a loop. I realize however, that this is easier said than done.

After you've seen that through (and it will be one hell of a ride, I imagine), make sure you take the time to reconnect, just the two of you. To remember why it is that you are together, and that despite this loss, there's nothing you cannot face together.

Best of luck to both of you.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

My advice would be to leave him be. I don't think he would want other people to start worrying about him. It's something he would feel he should figure out by himself as when other people try to help him he will likely want them to back away. It would probably add further fuel to his negative emotions. If you really can't stand waiting until he overcomes it himself I suggest just using simple actions of affection like hugging, kissing etc. Make it silent as in just no words.

It truly is an unfortunate situation.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

I agree that physical affection helps a great deal with an INTJ, especially if there just are no words.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Firstly: my condolences, my sister went through this prior to her first child and it was quiet difficult on her.

As to your man, although it sounds counter intuitive....I would suggest you consider allowing him to take on (at least in part) the role you are taking on now...for him to be not only 'the rescuer' rather more specifically 'your rescuer'.

INTJs and INTs in general can have a hard time appropriately dealing with death directly. The reason is because death is so out of our control, no matter how intelligent we are we can't "fix" it, we can't bring the dead back to life (if we could we would and I suspect there is a hidden part of us that thinks we could if we only tried harder...which may soon turns to self blame that we did something or omitted from doing something material in the past).

Thus, my suggestion to you is to give him something he can do which is related to the issue. Although INTJs may not be great with feelings, they, especially males, are more comfortable in the role of being a rescuer in times of crisis.

Therefore, tell him how you feel, your loss, your hopes, how your body is preparing itself for a healthy child, and most importantly how you need his strength and masculinity in this time of need. I trust he will rise to the occasion and feel better and more proactive than he did before.
    A month or two afterwards thank him and let him know you are ready to be there for him and set up an opportunity to nurture and baby him and those feelings that needed to be repressed/redirected.

PS. Ditto on what usehername advised too.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I'm terribly sorry for your situation.

I could be dead wrong, but my advice is to let him be. Sometimes it's easier to delude ourselves than face the truth. He'll probably come around when he needs to, so until then, let him sort things out in his head.

EDIT: Just be there if he needs you to be there.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    INTX

How do you know it is breaking his heart?