• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs, "you know you are in love when...."

lillytira

MBTI Type
INTJ
... you realize that emotions can have some signifigance...(sometimes)
that's answering as a steryotipical INTJ though. hahaha
Here's a personal answer (and perhaps a better one to live by):
...you realize just how many good things the world really has to offer

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I know I'm in love when I feel scared. Being in love makes me feel brilliant and awful at the same time. I hate feeling vulnerable, it scares me.

This is strange. Before I even knew about the MBTI I described to my BF this very idea, that the fact I loved him made me really, really terrified. I don't know if he understood what I meant or the type of fear I was referring to but I'm glad that I'm not alone.

It's that horrible feeling of not being in control or stable in my thought process, love really messes you up. Nevertheless, I enjoy it. Bittersweet.

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Also... when I start analyzing a relationship 24/7. Ti! :cheese:

Ahahahahaha I'm constantly talking to my BF about our relationship and the dynamics. Always analyzing it. It's usually not wishy-washy, it's not a discussion about getting married, having 600 babies or anything like that. It's more so about "Why do we get along? I think it's blah blah blah. And since we're on the topic, that could also be why we can talk about blah blah"

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Hmm...does it feel like nausea?

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I find that infatuation feels like that.

Am I the only person who becomes afraid of their own feelings during a relationship and is tempted to remove thyself from it?

Permabanned
NT doesn't work with love. The whole system becomes unresponsive and randomly spasms. The more you try the worse it gets.

Hera

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Am I the only person who becomes afraid of their own feelings during a relationship and is tempted to remove thyself from it?

I can somewhat relate to the fear but I don't feel like I need to be away from the relationship. For me, it's about the fact I am thinking so much about it that I need to take a break from my continued anguish over it. I feel such an incredible weakness that I just keep thinking about it, and why this happens to me, why I feel this way about this person when I don't feel like this at all normally etc. I need a break from myself sometimes.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Agreed, Phobik. Cool turtle, by the way.

I can somewhat relate to the fear but I don't feel like I need to be away from the relationship. For me, it's about the fact I am thinking so much about it that I need to take a break from my continued anguish over it. I feel such an incredible weakness that I just keep thinking about it, and why this happens to me, why I feel this way about this person when I don't feel like this at all normally etc. I need a break from myself sometimes.

:laugh:

I WISH I could take a break from myself. Unfortunately, I can't, and I am stuck with this anguishing mindset.

funkadelik

good hair
MBTI Type
lmao
Feeling aren't really anything to be feared. :shrug: By thinking that way, you only give your fear more power.

Yeah, they're irrational. Yeah, they're boring compared to, say, theoretical physics. Yeah, they can really fuck with your competency.

But they ARE part of being human. And there's something important (and maybe even fun) about that.

Lark

Not sure I've been in love with anyone, experienced obsessiveness, both being obsessed and being obsessed about maybe not anything like what I've read about.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Nope. It's really difficult not to push the jettison button.

And this is why:

that the fact I loved him made me really, really terrified. I don't know if he understood what I meant or the type of fear I was referring to but I'm glad that I'm not alone.

It's that horrible feeling of not being in control or stable in my thought process, love really messes you up...Bittersweet.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

No, which is why for me it's: When I care if they leave.

Jade Curtiss

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know when I'm love when I actually make an effort to make contact with you (read: actually call you back when you call me... or even better... answer the phone!)

Usually once contact is made, I tend to get really quiet and shy and jittery because I'm analyzing ever single action and word I'm saying and then immediately mentally smacking myself for sounding/acting stupid.Then again this could only apply to the introverts.

I really identify with the bolded, though I will usually (over)analyze the interaction after the fact, creating a mental playback of the event to identify what I perceive as the "mistakes" I made, which typically have to do with me being extremely oblivious to social rituals and the like that are obvious to most others. I'm probably overcritical of things that are really rather minor, and I'm thinking/hoping others don't mind or don't notice to the extent I do, or fail to notice them at all.

As for the topic, to be honest I'm not sure I've ever experienced the the fullest or most genuine (consumate?) expression of love. Growing up I became infatuated with a number of girls (about 1 every two years it seemed) without ever really knowing them very well (the attraction usually amounted to constant observation...), and it certainly felt like genuine love. The euphoria, the clenching of the muscles upon seeing them, the constant presence in the back of the mind...But I didn't really know them, and indeed sometimes after getting to know one of them better I questioned why I was attracted to them in the first place.

Now that I've actually gotten close to a girl and actually interact with her, I don't feel the things I used to, or at least not to the same extent. Maybe it's because we became friends first, and I saw her as nothing more. I think I may be getting slightly confused with my feelings toward her, as I've never had a female friend that shares so many similar interests with me.

This post by Ezra explains what I mean pretty well (the first example):

I actually shunned love until I fell in love with someone earlier this month. When last year in my first proper relationship my girlfriend told me after two months that she loved me, I thought I must by default love her too, so I told her, but I thought "if this is what love is... what on earth is the fuss about?" But then as the months drew on I began to believe it and told my best friend "when you're in love you'll know it". But even so, I still didn't love her. I had an emotional connection to her definitely, because I was distraught when we broke up.

Now I'm actually in love, it's incredible. It has shot right up my list of priorities in life, and the fact that I actually value another person almost as much as myself is exhilarating. Whereas with my ex I thought I loved her but thought the reason I never told her so with proper feeling was because that was just the way I am - emotionally detached. Now, I realise that it was because I did not love her. Who I love now I can freely tell that I love her and I feel good every time I do; I feel emotionally free and healthy. That's how you know you're in love.

I feel the same way in that I wonder "what all the fuss is about" and feel emotionally detatched (or at least I don't feel the strong emotions I did when I had fallen for girls in the past). I just don't think I've reached that point of actual love Ezra describes. I don't feel any "romantic" attraction, just mutual interest(s) and enjoyment. I suppose it's possible I'll get to that point, but the process seems off to me, as I never before made friends with someone I'm interested in before becoming attracted. I think I'll know when I'm really in love when I actually make an effort to make contact with the person instead of just letting things play out, something I rarely do. Constantly analyzing the relationship, moreso in terms of interests and personality differences than emotionally, would be another sign. In fact I do this somewhat already. Another signal is that I open up to them, feel as though I can be completely myself, and let my Ne take over; wanting to explain the intricacies of my interests and theories about things, probably at a level somewhat further than her interest and knowledge in a given topic would deem appropriate (which leads me to criticize such moments afterwards).

ThinkingAboutIt

MBTI Type
INTP
Nope. It's really difficult not to push the jettison button.

And this is why:

that the fact I loved him made me really, really terrified

Yep. It isn't even a conscious thing, it is totally compelling. Self sabotage also comes into play.

RenaiReborn

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w2
When I try to say something simple, and it turns into word vomit. When I feel like I'm jumping off a cliff and don't care. When I analyze every word and detail of a conversation over a period of weeks, then ignore them because I don't know how to deal with them, and then go crawling back like a sad puppy. I'm like a cat, saying "love me, NO GET AWAY, pet me, NOOOOOO".

As you can imagine, it causes much grief.

esidebill

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
When it's pretty hard to detach myself easily. If I just leave the relationship and I feel no real sense of empty, then I know it wasn't really love.

uncommonentity

When the thought of them with someone else bothers the fuck out of you because you consider them to be more precious to you than any other contender.