User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Default Convincing someone that they are not an INTP

So my friend keeps insisting she is an INTP, I keep saying I really don't think she is, she claims to like logic and numbers, but the only reason for this is because she's a pharmacy major. I remember beginning of the school year her freaking out cuz of math and science classes, and her mentioning how she'd cheat to get by in high school, and I remember her in my algebra 2 class and her being confused while I'd get it like *snaps fingers* that.

She took the long version of the test (500 question one that's official) and got INTP but I really don't think she is but she won't budge. Based purely on the fact it was the long version and her major.

So am I right to doubt her? I mean hell in the right mood I'd test an INTP.

MBTI
    INTJ

Is she even a T?
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    yupp

I strongly doubt it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So my friend keeps insisting she is an INTP, I keep saying I really don't think she is, she claims to like logic and numbers, but the only reason for this is because she's a pharmacy major. I remember beginning of the school year her freaking out cuz of math and science classes, and her mentioning how she'd cheat to get by in high school, and I remember her in my algebra 2 class and her being confused while I'd get it like *snaps fingers* that.

She took the long version of the test (500 question one that's official) and got INTP but I really don't think she is but she won't budge. Based purely on the fact it was the long version and her major.

I think she sounds like an ISxJ, possibly an ISFJ. Pharmaceutical careers don't usually appeal to INTP's more than any other career, or less to any other type.

When you say 500 question one that's "official," do you mean the MBTI instrument itself? That would be strange for it to return that result in her case though... had she taken the test after she already learned about MBTI? That would have skewed her results.

MBTI
    yupp

Yea I think ISFJ, but she refuses to accept being an F. what is it with Fs not wanting to be Fs?

I showed her the ISTJ profile and she thought that it sounded a lot like her.

I'm not sure she went to bed I'll find out next time she's online (we go to school in different states).

My other friend also took it with her and he got INTP and he is an INTP I mean for him I was torn between ISTP and INTP but they are both very good friends but I've watch them both approach the world and it's very different.

Also she tends to get close to people and with out realizing it and imitating their beliefs. Like if you believe something she will often go along with whatever you believe. I don't mean that she can't think for herself,it's more of that she doesn't feel comfortable thinking for her self. She told me yesterday that she found it easier to go with the group where I said I found it really hard for me to just to go along with anyone, I have to know why and understand why I should believe what everyone else believes. And "because everyone else does is not acceptable" ok I'm done babbling.

(Sorry about grammar, I'm extremely tired I'm going to bed hopefully this post is semi-coherent)
    Last edited by prplchknz; 10-26-2007 at 02:12 AM. Reason: I had to babble some more.

MBTI
    INTJ

When I am in serious doubt of the type of someone, I like to get a "second opinion" by Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes . If she is really a feeler, I think it will be better at getting it out of her, than a conventional MBTI test.

MBTI
    INFJ

So am I right to doubt her?
    Did she ask you for your assessment of type?

If she's mistyped and relying on that mistype it could cause her some discomfort, sure, but if so, isn't that really her own consequence to own?

It sounds like you've expressed your doubt and shared your reasoning for your doubt. I find myself wondering why you would feel the need to step any further than that into her experience?
    "We don't see things as they are,
    we see things as we are."
    ...Anais Nin

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Convincing someone that they are not an INTP
    Good luck with all that!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by tovlo View Post
    Did she ask you for your assessment of type?

If she's mistyped and relying on that mistype it could cause her some discomfort, sure, but if so, isn't that really her own consequence to own?

It sounds like you've expressed your doubt and shared your reasoning for your doubt. I find myself wondering why you would feel the need to step any further than that into her experience?
    You see, it really isn't about her anymore, it's about the whether person asking the question is justified in their reasoning that she is or isn't a particular type. You're right that she doesn't have to accept/listen to it, but the person asking the question may wish to know for their own satisfaction. Does that make sense?

MBTI
    INTP

In the free world we do choose our vocation.
    Why is she a pharmacy major?

I have known many.