User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Convincing someone that they are not an INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Thought process is more indicative of type than behavior.

A Sensor has a better grasp of reality, seeing what is actually there rather than what could be there if one were to get creative--which an Intuitive does by nature, occasionally leading to vague or mystical ideas. Sensors may seem more mentally focused, because Intuitives are prone to ricocheting tangential thoughts. Due to their concrete, reality-based manner of thinking, a Sensor will often take an Intuitive's figurative statements literally. A Sensor who is given to exaggeration would be deliberately doing so for effect (hyperbole), whereas an Intuitive may exaggerate without even being aware that they are doing so, since they view the world through the lens of their imagination.
    this is true. but, as always, one must remember it's a gradient so everyone does both. and that you (prolly) aren't with someone 24/7 so perhaps you have a committed-to-the-project N who looks very task-focused, or you might have a Sensor who is immature/not committed to the project/not in their element and is not task-focused and might appear more N.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    this is true. but, as always, one must remember it's a gradient so everyone does both. and that you (prolly) aren't with someone 24/7 so perhaps you have a committed-to-the-project N who looks very task-focused, or you might have a Sensor who is immature/not committed to the project/not in their element and is not task-focused and might appear more N.
    I suppose in that case you'd need to ask the person what they were thinking about. Behavior is tricky. I look for an overall pattern and seek insight into the reasons for the behavior, which may mean asking questions. With a friend that shouldn't be a problem.

I didn't say that I didn't say it. I said that I didn't say that I said it. I want to make that very clear.

Senior Member Array TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp

I can understand wanting to help someone find and acknowledge what they are. Anyone who has ever felt like they had been living a lie and eventually found they had been deceiving themselves would I think have some regret for not seeing it earlier, and if you think you see someone deceiving themselves and trying to live a life that is not fulfilling to them because they think they are what they are not, well I think trying to help them is a good thing, but you may need to be very tactful and perhaps subtle in going about it to avoid being seen as controlling or trying to force your ideas on them.

As for trying to make them see it, I think finding the right questions to ask to get them thinking for themselves is the best way to go. You may need to find and understand their core values before you can find a way to make them see whats really important to them.

First, if you have not already done so, please read the INTP profile at An INTP Profile and see if you see glaring contradictions between it and her or not (and if you think it would not offend her, point her to it for reading as well). Its not uncommon for people to "wear a mask" so often they appear very different than they are and their true self may actually be an INTP in that case. Its equally possible especially if the test is taken in an academic or business environment, that the subconscious will have you answering as you "think you should" for the occasion (when I first took the test in a business environment, I scored as INTJ because I was answering "as I would as a worker in that environment" and not as "my true self".)

Here is another short description of Ti as the dominant function (applies to both INTP and ISTP)
    From "Was that Really Me" by Naomi L. Quenk
    Introverted Thinking types maintain the utmost objectivity. They approach people and events as dispassionate observers, with the goal of arriving at the most comprehensive truth possible. The process of objective analysis is a source of great enjoyment for the introverted thinking type, with its outcome often of much lesser importance. Introverted Thinking types typically do not take constructive criticism and disagreement personally. They often welcome tough, unrelenting critique as an aid to achieving the highest levels of accuracy and objectivity

Because they do not take criticism personally, ISPTs and INTPs are often surprised to discover that others are hurt or offended by their constructive criticism. Others often see them as distant, unfeeling, disinterested in people, and arrogant - all characteristics that they disavow. The fact that they may appear to have these qualities is a function of their basic typological approach, which applies objective analysis to most things, including people.
    The impression I get from what you have wrote is that she has a strong connection to Extroverted Sensing. If she is an introvert, that eliminates the possibility of extroverted sensing as the dominant function, but it is the axillary function of ISTP and ISFP. An ISTP could account for similarities and differences to an INTP and an ISFP could account for similarity to you (on the basis of introverted feeling) as well as why she might think you are weird. My inclination would be toward ISFP (Fi > Se > Ni > Te).

from Extraverted Sensing
    Extraverted Sensing occurs when we become aware of what is in the physical world in rich detail. We may be drawn to act on what we experience to get an immediate result. We notice relevant facts and occurrences in a sea of data and experiences, learning all the facts we can about the immediate context or area of focus and what goes on in that context. An active seeking of more and more input to get the whole picture may occur until all sources of input have been exhausted or something else captures our attention. Extraverted Sensing is operating when we freely follow exciting physical impulses or instincts as they come up and enjoy the thrill of action in the present moment. A oneness with the physical world and a total absorption may exist as we move, touch, and sense what is around us. The process involves instantly reading cues to see how far we can go in a situation and still get the impact we want or respond to the situation with presence.
    A questions to consider...

What conversation topics get her animated and enthusiastic (the stuff where she is willing and eager to share her thoughts/feelings on them)? Are they mostly about concrete real world things, or abstract ideas? Are they about how she feels about things, or more what she thinks about things (subjective vs objective).

eating bugs out of hair. Array prplchknz's Avatar

This would be easier if I still saw her everyday. I'll do this when I go home for thanksgiving, I'll defiently see her. Maybe I'll get her to take the functions test, but I can predict she's going to say it's wrong. But she did like the ISTJ description for her, but I don't know. Maybe I'm just better letting her think she's an INTP. So yeah, I could get her do the 8 functions test but I do think she took the official one, but I mean if she was in a certain mood she could have gotten mis typed, but she doesn't think that's possible because it's official and therefore can never be wrong.

LOL. Oh man. Have her meet one. An INTp is definitely cynical of their own diagnosis. NEVER admittedly excepting it for the longest time. She is the complete opposite. haha. Her insane denial can only be put to an end if she deals with her REAL issues. She is obviously compensating for something--beit lack of confidence, self-hate, a crack addiction. hahahaha. Sorry. I try not to but I can't help but laugh, knowingly.

Rats off to ya! Array Mort Belfry's Avatar

Poor girl, leave her alone. Does she know there's a thread started up about her on an obscure website? It would kill her. You should all be ashamed of yourselves, look at you, look at what you've become.
    Why do we always come here?

I guess we'll never know.

It's like a kind of torture,
    To have to watch this show.

Senior Member Array alcea rosea's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    Yea I think ISFJ, but she refuses to accept being an F. what is it with Fs not wanting to be Fs?
    I had the same problem. It took some time to accept the fact of being F.