User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    no, but I. I. It just drives me insane. And maybe I'm sterotyping but I can't tell you how many times I've taught her how to use a computer or hook up some electronic for her.
    That's not really a good indicator of personality type. If she's INTP, she's probably attracted to abstract thinking- philosophy, politics, sciences, economics. NTs like intuitive- non-linear systems- whereas STs are technically better at mechanics- like working computers-engineering-software programming.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over whether or not you think your friend is a particular personality type unless you're secretly competitive with her. After all, you can put your opinions on the table, but if she chooses to still think she's INTP, well does that make you less of a man?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

no, but I. I. It just drives me insane. And maybe I'm sterotyping but I can't tell you how many times I've taught her how to use a computer or hook up some electronic for her.
    So you're annoyed because you feel like she has had the ability to better understand this before just labeling herself as what she wanted, but she has been too lazy/indifferent to do that?

Also I was hoping someone would give me some advice and help me out in coming up with ways to talk to her about it, and what to look for. I'm no expert that's partially why I posted this thread. But I got attacked so sorry for trying, about what right do I have blah blah blah.
    I don't think all the comments were attacks. (I know I didn't mean mine that way.) I just think it is important to stress the concept that we can't change people or force them to accept something they did not conclude on their own.

I remember making some pretty awful mistakes in my life because I didn't realize that truth when I was younger. I ended up damaging some relationships or at the least just causing myself lots of anxiety because of it. I do not want to see you over-burden yourself with the thought you need to be the one to change her, nor do I want to see you accidentally drive her away because you were really focused on this issue.

Look it's not like I met her once, we went to school together we spent everyday of three summer's together. We know each other very well, If she doubts me on something she'll tell me. Hell we've taken care of each other drunk and thrown each other in the shower when we were to drunk.
    So your friendship is definitely at a level you feel she can handle this, and that you need to tell her just as a matter of openness?

In any case, I will let it simmer in the back of my head and see what ideas come up, okay? (Sorry, but my brain is a little scattered right now. Brainstorming at the moment tends to shoot my mind into an orbit around Alpha Centauri.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    That's not really a good indicator of personality type. If she's INTP, she's probably attracted to abstract thinking- philosophy, politics, sciences, economics. NTs like intuitive- non-linear systems- whereas STs are technically better at mechanics- like working computers-engineering-software programming.
    Ok I meant how to open the internet or bookmark a page. As well as word shortcuts. Something I think should come easily to anyone whose used a computer for awhile (we went to highschool with a laptop program)

Forget the computer thing. I guess that's not a fair assesment.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Also I was hoping someone would give me some advice and help me out in coming up with ways to talk to her about it, and what to look for. I'm no expert that's partially why I posted this thread. But I got attacked so sorry for trying, about what right do I have blah blah blah. Look it's not like I met her once, we went to school together we spent everyday of three summer's together. We know each other very well, If she doubts me on something she'll tell me.

Hell we've taken care of eachother drunk and thrown eachother in the shower when we were to drunk.
    You are stereotyping. INTPs can be dumb too. (I know, blasphemy, right?). Or not computer-inclined, or whatever.

My intention was not to attack you or imply that you don't know your friend, but only to point out that I find the action of doubting someone's stated type (mind, this is not the same as presenting a reasoned argument against it) a bit foolish and presumptuous.
    Last edited by Randomnity; 10-26-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: ironic typo

MBTI
    yupp

*note to self* if been awake longer then 17 hours do not attempt to re type people. No one will get you, and think you are a bitch.

I'm still doubting it, but I'll continue to, and not say anything let her either prove me wrong and actually turn out to be an INTP or prove me right and be some other type.

The thing is she's not dumb at all, she's actually really smart.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Ok I meant how to open the internet or bookmark a page. As well as word shortcuts. Something I think should come easily to anyone whose used a computer for awhile (we went to highschool with a laptop program)

Forget the computer thing. I guess that's not a fair assesment.
    Well, it's hard to say, since we live in a technocratic age. Being technically proficient at computers is probably most indicative of Gen Y. I've also known many STs (including myself) who are also interested in abstract thinking and also many ISTJs, so I suppose that's really dependent on your level of education.

Perhaps analyze her writing style and how she engages in debate with others. SFs usually become personally offended when someone disagrees with their opinions, and probably most NFs as well. Then again, this is based on my pure observations.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    Well, it's hard to say, since we live in a technocratic age. Being technically proficient at computers is probably most indicative of Gen Y. I've also known many STs (including myself) who are also interested in abstract thinking and also many ISTJs, so I suppose that's really dependent on your level of education.

Perhaps analyze her writing style and how she engages in debate with others. SFs usually become personally offended when someone disagrees with their opinions, and probably most NFs as well. Then again, this is based on my pure observations.
    I can do that.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

She might come across as SJ because of her upbringing. Also some people are just really hard to type. There are quite a few that don't fit closely into one of the 16 prescribed categories.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ

*note to self* if been awake longer then 17 hours do not attempt to re type people. No one will get you, and think you are a bitch.

I'm still doubting it, but I'll continue to, and not say anything let her either prove me wrong and actually turn out to be an INTP or prove me right and be some other type.

The thing is she's not dumb at all, she's actually really smart.
    Try not to feel judged - I don't think anyone here is making a judgement about you as a person - if they are, it would be unfair to do so, considering we don't really know you. It seems as most of the people here are just trying to better understand your motives for wanting to *convice* your friend that she has been mistyped before they analyze your main concern - whether your friend is indeed an INTP or not. Much of that, I think, comes from the issues and problems we have dealt with in our own lives when being too brutally honest with others and/or involving ourselves too much in a friend's life. I know in my own case, being too involved, however well intentioned, has cost me at least one good friendship. This is especially an issue if your friend is really a Feeler. I think a lot of it also comes from our need to understand the "big picture" before we focus in on a more detailed issue (especially since most posts have come from N personality types.)

So the following points are made purely from an intellectual curiosity standpoint and not a moral one (since you'll have to deal with the moral issue of whether to convince your friend of her type, the consequences of your choice either way and, more importantly, since you are asking us for advice about her type and not what decision you should make with the information.)

1) I consider the fact that she has chosen pharmacy as her major mostly irrelevant, especially since you think she may have outside motives for doing so. The reason is that, especially if this is her first career choice, people often choose careers that do not fit their personality type well. Or she may like the classes for the intellectual component, but find out when she enters the job force that she doesn't really like the career at all.

2) I think it would be much easier, instead of trying to guess her MBTI type, to start with finding the temperament that best describes her. (NF, NT, SP, SJ). At her worst, is she.... boring and inflexible? Impulsive and irresponsible? Overly emotional and moody? Arrogant and off to herself? What about her best qualities? What attracts you to her as a friend? Is she dependable? Fun? Understanding? Confident and witty? If you could provide some more details about her personality, other than her academic/career interests, it would help greatly. You've said she's imitative - it's a start but we need more information.

3) What does she like to talk about, outside of her pharmacy program? Does she tend to talk a lot about other people and her relationships with them? Or does she talk mostly about ideas, thoughts, etc.? Does she talk more about future possibilities or does she have trouble seeing beyond today?

Provide as much info you can - otherwise we're taking a stab in the dark here

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    Try not to feel judged - I don't think anyone here is making a judgement about you as a person - if they are, it would be unfair to do so, considering we don't really know you. It seems as most of the people here are just trying to better understand your motives for wanting to *convice* your friend that she has been mistyped before they analyze your main concern - whether your friend is indeed an INTP or not. Much of that, I think, comes from the issues and problems we have dealt with in our own lives when being too brutally honest with others and/or involving ourselves too much in a friend's life. I know in my own case, being too involved, however well intentioned, has cost me at least one good friendship. This is especially an issue if your friend is really a Feeler. I think a lot of it also comes from our need to understand the "big picture" before we focus in on a more detailed issue (especially since most posts have come from N personality types.)

So the following points are made purely from an intellectual curiosity standpoint and not a moral one (since you'll have to deal with the moral issue of whether to convince your friend of her type, the consequences of your choice either way and, more importantly, since you are asking us for advice about her type and not what decision you should make with the information.)

1) I consider the fact that she has chosen pharmacy as her major mostly irrelevant, especially since you think she may have outside motives for doing so. The reason is that, especially if this is her first career choice, people often choose careers that do not fit their personality type well. Or she may like the classes for the intellectual component, but find out when she enters the job force that she doesn't really like the career at all.

2) I think it would be much easier, instead of trying to guess her MBTI type, to start with finding the temperament that best describes her. (NF, NT, SP, SJ). At her worst, is she.... boring and inflexible? Impulsive and irresponsible? Overly emotional and moody? Arrogant and off to herself? What about her best qualities? What attracts you to her as a friend? Is she dependable? Fun? Understanding? Confident and witty? If you could provide some more details about her personality, other than her academic/career interests, it would help greatly. You've said she's imitative - it's a start but we need more information.

3) What does she like to talk about, outside of her pharmacy program? Does she tend to talk a lot about other people and her relationships with them? Or does she talk mostly about ideas, thoughts, etc.? Does she talk more about future possibilities or does she have trouble seeing beyond today?

Provide as much info you can - otherwise we're taking a stab in the dark here
    2)at her worse, I find her to be stubborn, she tends to get overwhelmed by new ideas. She's always hugging people (only her friends though) and telling them how much she loves them and how she's going to miss them. I remember one time at Tropical Smoothie, Our friend and I wanted to go get go get food as we already found a place to sit, we both went to go leave and she was like "No stay, I don't want to be alone" The other friend who likes to be alone and tested INTP (and I he fits the description) as well was like "We're going down stairs to get food, we'll be right back" he ended up giving me the money and I ordered for him. She's a very talented opera singer, and loves performing (but I can see how people from all types could be that). She has a very addictive personality, I don't think that would apply strictly to a type. She loves gay men (but really what girl doesn't?), and she was upset when she found dumbledore was gay because she had a crush on him. She has a habit of getting into abusive relationships, she can sometimes annoy me. When I'm at home from school and she is aswell we meet at Borders which is a 30 minute drive. In highschool I'd be on my way and she'd call and I'd be five minutes away and she'd be like I changed my mind I don't want to anything. She'll promise me something but then won't follow through. She has a terrible sense of direction, she'd get lost if their wasn't either someone else in the car or someone she could follow. She likes to bake and decorate cakes, and they're pretty. She's a perfectionist. We both have the same taste in guys, we both like the same tv shows. I've known her so long I can't say why I like her, except she's a good friend and we look out for each other.

3.)She tends to pass judgements on what people are wearing, or whatever random things. Lately she's been philosphizing more then she use to, In the past I would try to philosophize with her and it wouldn't work. She's always asking what song lyrics mean, about how fat she is and how skinny people are happy. Even though I try to tell her that she'll never be happy with that outlook on life. She picks stuff based on aesthetics more then function. Our other friend and I will be like "ummm ok. But what's it for/ couldn't you have just done that instead" she's like "yeah but it's pretty, see" then points out something on it. I can be like this but I normally only do that if the product isn't expensive. She asked us how to talk to the bank teller once. I don't know how to answer that um just talk. and We were right their, and the lady was staring at us.

I'll add more if I think of it. Also I think I was sleep deprived so she could be INTP, the more I think about it I can see how she can fit. She's defiently on the border for some. but my brain with lack of sleep thinks every thing's a conspiracy, and all tests lie and our wrong.