MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Good luck with all that!
    Besides, I figure real INTPs will just confuse themselves and save you the trouble, if you leave them alone long enough.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

She's a pharmacy major because, as far as I can tell, is she's addicted to painkillers. Also she's convince unless she does something medical she won't ever make money. I'll ask her today and find out for sure.

And no it doesn't matter, but I want to know for my personal satisfaction. Also I would appreciate people who tell me, they doubt my type.

MBTI
    ESTJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So my friend keeps insisting she is an INTP, I keep saying I really don't think she is, she claims to like logic and numbers, but the only reason for this is because she's a pharmacy major. I remember beginning of the school year her freaking out cuz of math and science classes, and her mentioning how she'd cheat to get by in high school, and I remember her in my algebra 2 class and her being confused while I'd get it like *snaps fingers* that.

She took the long version of the test (500 question one that's official) and got INTP but I really don't think she is but she won't budge. Based purely on the fact it was the long version and her major.

So am I right to doubt her? I mean hell in the right mood I'd test an INTP.
    These tests may not be so accurate if it depends upon how the person views herself compared to how others perceive her.

The best indicator is to make an approximation of her personality type by seeing which summaries best describe her- then ask her certain questions on her actions/decision-making skills/writing styles. Of course, if you consider yourself an expert on MBTI- you would know what to look for.

Every personality has positive and negative traits. However, I think with certain types- there is a cult of personality.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

You may be right. But it is still more likely that she knows herself better than you do, particularly if she is an INTP with superb chameleon skills.

I don't think it's really appropriate for you to tell her that you know her better than she knows herself, even if you think it is true. You can show her different descriptions and questions and etc, or present an argument for why you think she is, say, an F instead of a T, but she should really be the ultimate authority on herself. I also didn't see anything you said here as evidence for her not being INTP, though I will accept that perhaps you have seen other indicators which you aren't mentioning.

MBTI
    yupp

I wouldn't say this too anyone but we've been best friends for five years now. So it's not like that. I also did not tell her I knew her better then she knew her self. So please don't think I did, I just can't see INTP in her at all. That's my point.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    These tests may not be so accurate if it depends upon how the person views herself compared to how others perceive her.

The best indicator is to make an approximation of her personality type by seeing which summaries best describe her- then ask her certain questions on her actions/decision-making skills/writing styles. Of course, if you consider yourself an expert on MBTI- you would know what to look for.

Every personality has positive and negative traits. However, I think with certain types- there is a cult of personality.
    Thank you.

I'm also trying to get her to re evaluate, not because I don't want her to be INTP but I think it's important to actually continually re evaluate yourself, as tests no mater how good can often fall short.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I wouldn't say this too anyone but we've been best friends for five years now. So it's not like that. I also did not tell her I knew her better then she knew her self. So please don't think I did, I just can't see INTP in her at all. That's my point.
    Randomnity has a point. In general, the preferred way to deal (unless you really know someone can handle it) is to offer them additional information or push the boundaries a lot... but in the end, she still gets to decide how she views herself. You can't FORCE her to change her mind, and if you try, she'll most likely distance herself. (It comes across as domination or exploitation.)

So... is there any good reason you need to challenge this "false INTP" thing? Can you tolerate it and focus on other things?

Or is it really getting in the way of you being friends, just because she's going on about it and seems SO wrong that it rubs you the wrong way?

Really, though, the best you can do is share information with her and wait for her to change her mind. Is it really such a large blockage in your friendship?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    yupp

no, but I. I. It just drives me insane. And maybe I'm sterotyping but I can't tell you how many times I've taught her how to use a computer or hook up some electronic for her.

Also I was hoping someone would give me some advice and help me out in coming up with ways to talk to her about it, and what to look for. I'm no expert that's partially why I posted this thread. But I got attacked so sorry for trying, about what right do I have blah blah blah. Look it's not like I met her once, we went to school together we spent everyday of three summer's together. We know each other very well, If she doubts me on something she'll tell me.

Hell we've taken care of eachother drunk and thrown eachother in the shower when we were to drunk.

MBTI
    INTP

i can appreciate the need for people to acknowledge their correct types, but i think you should acknowledge the fact that knowing ones type benefits mainly one self.

another way of putting it would be like me telling the world i like tomatoes, when in reality i don't like them. it pretty much affects no one else but me, and it's more of a quality of life issue.

if she is in fact not an intp, then she's never going to reap the full benefits of personality typing. if she is an intp, well maybe she's just a messed up one. who knows.

my 2 cents.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by miked277 View Post
    i can appreciate the need for people to acknowledge their correct types, but i think you should acknowledge the fact that knowing ones type benefits mainly one self.

another way of putting it would be like me telling the world i like tomatoes, when in reality i don't like them. it pretty much affects no one else but me, and it's more of a quality of life issue.

if she is in fact not an intp, then she's never going to reap the full benefits of personality typing. if she is an intp, well maybe she's just a messed up one. who knows.

my 2 cents.
    Yeah that makes sense. I've been considering that she does have issues. Her parents are fundamentalist racists. And look down on anyone whose not southern baptist. I don't see how anyone could not come out of the enviroment with issues.