User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    I'm pretty sure that the extraverted perceiving functions are often cited as right-brain functions, whereas ni and si are cited as left-brain functions. I suppose the use of "linear" is wrong when considering the introverted perceiving functions, since they feel more unconscious and out-of-control than the extraverted left-brain functions. Would it be accurate to say that the source of what Ni comes up with is often unknown or mysterious or seemingly out of your control?

Thanks for the feedback otherwise, I'll see about editing what I have to convey the types and functions better.
    I know they get cited as left or right brain functions, but I think that's a wrong-headed way of looking at them. They are almost certainly not actually located in the left or right hemisphere of the brain, and 'left brain' and 'right brain' are mostly folk notions to begin with. If right-brained means out-of-the-box, non-linear, emotionally charged, creative and whatnot, then Ne and Ni are both right brained, and arguably Ti and Te are both left brained (logical, structured, rigorous...).

What Ni comes up with can be unconscious/out of control, but that's only a specific aspect of Ni. More fundamental, I think, it the shifting of perspective. Also, like your description of Ti, it's holistic (I think this may be a feature of introverted functions generally). Ni...coalesces concepts into conceptual theoretical wholes, it integrates. And because it can alter its own perspective on things, it can coalesce things in multiple ways, and it can combine the seemingly contradictory by conceiving of the components in such a way that they are no longer contradictory.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Good one VagrantFarce,, I'm going to print this one out.
    That which does not kill me, improves my looks. - Michael Jackson

MBTI
    INTj

One is scatterbrained and playful, the other is linear and focused.
    What if one is playful when they can be, but focused when they need to be? Or, when one prefers to be playful, but sees importance and necessity for being focused some of the time as well?

In other words, would you agree that it is possible for someone to meet both descriptions to the same degree of accuracy to the point that they fall somewhere directly between the two types?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    What if one is playful when they can be, but focused when they need to be? Or, when one prefers to be playful, but sees importance and necessity for being focused some of the time as well?

In other words, would you agree that it is possible for someone to meet both descriptions to the same degree of accuracy to the point that they fall somewhere directly between the two types?
    Yes, but I still subscribe to the assumption that everyone has a "default" or "natural" state that can be encapsulated as one of the two types.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Yes, but I still subscribe to the assumption that everyone has a "default" or "natural" state that can be encapsulated as one of the two types.
    I agree. I am perfectly capable of adopting the "playful" disposition, but my default will always be much more focused/serious. Same with many of the other qualities you've described.

EDIT: Though if someone consistently adopts a different attitude, typing them will obviously be more difficult. But then you might as well just have them take a test. If the person in question is yourself, perhaps you should take the time to think how you would operate if the environment didn't ask you to behave one way or the other.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

INTPs = cool

INTJs = uncool

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    INTPs = cool

INTJs = uncool
    Pfff.

INTPs: weird

INTJs: weird
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

INTJs are less weird.

MBTI
    INTj

You are playing with semantics and attempting to have it both ways. If it's "yes" . . . then it's yes.

I am this way naturally because I was born and raised in nature and, or, a natural state, if you will - which is the same thing as "Default," by the way. Therefore, your theory cannot determine what type someone is when they share an equal portion of the characteristics that you described in your OP.

The problem is simple. You are attempting - and most of the folks on this site do this, so don't feel special - to extrapolate personality traits shaped by nurture in hopes of isolating what you believe to be our "natural" personality - one without external influence, for example. However, that exercise is impossible. Our personalities are developed by our experiences, our influences, and our upbringing. Any attempt to ignore this if fraught with inaccuracy.

In short (), yes, we have innate personality traits. But the layers of nurture and life experiences have been so heavily pressed and built upon that innate foundation that no one test or easy identifier exists that can push through to the core, point, and say, "Yeah, that's what that person is naturally."
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

Senior Member Misty_Mountain_Rose's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Just push them to the breaking point. If it start drinking heavily and wants to have sex, its an INTJ. If it starts crying and having a meltdown, its an INTP. *snicker*

(Kidding... it is not recommended to push either type to that breaking point. Results could be disastrous)

I keep seeing this 'INTJ's aren't playful' thing and I find it kind of disturbing. There is more to a person's personality than their MBTI type. What if part of the 'surface conformism' learning happened to include acting like a clown in order to fit in and find a niche within their group? What effect does say, their Enneagram type have on the outward interactions of the type? What personal experiences have they had that maybe taught them that it was simply easier to 'act' in a certain way around others to make their goals simpler. (I learned to be nice for that reason... now its a habit and I don't consider it 'acting'... but for a while it took a lot of effort).

I suppose ultimately it comes down to the fact that no matter what your 'type' is, you should be working toward NOT having a type. (In my humble opinion). I believe that the more balanced a person is; the more comfortable they are with ALL of the functions, the healthier and more productive their life will be.

In other words, try to recognize ALL of them, nurture the ones that you struggle with. Know when to rely on each to reach your goals.
    Embrace the possibilities.