• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] A Playful INTJ? Whaa...

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I have a friend who is INTJ.

I think...

I've actually been going between whether or not he's INTJ, ENTJ, ISTJ, or ESTJ. For him to be an INTJ, his I would have to be very balanced and his N pretty weak. I really think he's an INTJ for some reason even though I can never be too sure.

That's Why You're Here! To Help Me!

:static:

YAY.

Some characteristics of my friend that lead me to believe he's NOT an INTJ:

• likes to fit in
  • always cracking a joke so that he can fit in
  • appears more talkative than what I've heard of INTJs generally

Some characteristics that make me believe that he IS an INTJ:

• most of his jokes are quite clever (I enjoy most of them)
  • many of his other jokes are insensitive (these are the ones I don't laugh at and I make sure to tell him why I didn't like that particular joke even though I usually get a :rolli: from him)
  • he's very efficient, and he's very critical
  • he doesn't realize that he's being critical. I sincerely think he means to help the person although most of the time his advice is unwarranted.
  • he makes a habit out of being insensitive, especially for the sake of a joke
  • he's absolutely brilliant (brilliance isn't type-related, but his is truly exceptional. ...I envy it :()
  • he tries to conceal the fact that he's brilliant. If I comment on how smart he is, he gets really shy and says something to the extent of "whatever. I'm no different from anyone else" when he clearly is <sigh>.
  • he's introverted only because I've seen his room. It looks like a cave set up solely for him to think, read, and do work. His "bed" is literally like a cot. Who knows if he actually sleeps on that thing? :laugh:
  • outside of classes he hardly ever goes anywhere.
  • he thinks he can take advantage of my kindness. I honestly think he sees it as a sign of weakness. He'll ask me to do something for him that he knows I won't do. I always reject him (nicely), but he keeps asking me like he doesn't care that I don't want to do it.
  • (this probably isn't type-related, but here goes anyway) he has (something that I think is often mistaken for) an anger problem. When someone touches his personal belongings, he freaks. Like full-blown hissy fit. The weird part, though, is that he's completely fine after a couple of hours. He starts talking to the person like nothing ever happened. Or whenever he disagrees with one of our professors (really any authority figure over him), he gets into this weird mood where he doesn't want to talk to anyone, and he paces back and forth so as to either calm himself or reason out in his head why he's right and the instructor/authority figure is wrong--scariest thing about him. Seriously.

I hope some of this helped you get a better picture of my friend. It's really difficult to tell since he is the only INTJ I know/ever met. If he is after all an INTJ.

Oh!
I should probably take this time to tell you that one of my very good friends is an INFJ, and he is, in no small exaggeration, obsessed with her. He's always complimenting her on how smart, beautiful, and perfect she is. I've silently gagged :sick: a few times during this overt display of verbal affection, but he keeps doing it like it's the most normal thing in this world. She hates it when he does it but is too nice to tell him because they were friends before he started doing this... thing. Personally, it makes me :laugh:, but I'd never tell her that.
Uh I'm not sure an INTJ would do this to someone he liked?

So tell me what you think of my frieeennnd!
:)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
He sounds SJ....

Does he like to chat about his ideas while he is creating them or waits until they are formed and then gives birth to them?

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Did you ever think about having more than friendship with this person? Just asking.
He strikes me as an INTP, but clearly I'm not the best typer around.

He sounds SJ....

Don't think so.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hm.
I pretty sure he waits until they're formed.
I don't each him as the type to talk about an idea before it's fully developed.

He's good (or better than I am rather) at giving a description on how something looks.
Once in a conversation he was describing one of his elaborate dreams to me. He made sure to outline to me every physical detail of the setting and overall plot of the dream, and when he got to the end I asked "So, what was the point? Did you figure out the meaning behind the dream?" And he just shrugged his shoulders and blew off my question.

Soooo... what does that mean?

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Sounds a bit more like an ENTJ to me.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Don't think so.

Ah the whole world thinks they are N types....

On the plus list... INTJ's I know don't tell jokes - or should I say their jokes are so unfunny they don't really classify.

Nor do they try to hide being bright, nor do they reall try to fit in or be overly talkative... INTJs I know are pretty reserved unless they are in company they know veyr well and are very relaxed.

on the negative list...ISJs rarely see how offensive an intollereant their views are (often in a pretty arogant fashion), they are megga critical (I had one that took 3 years to say thank you, those three years critisised professional people who were technical experts when they had very limited knowledge).

INTJ's almost always believe they are right and will go to great lengths to prove it.

But hey these are listed perceptions - just my take on them

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Hey hey. I tell funny jokes. It's just nobody gets them.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hm.
I pretty sure he waits until they're formed.
I don't each him as the type to talk about an idea before it's fully developed.

He's good (or better than I am rather) at giving a description on how something looks.
Once in a conversation he was describing one of his elaborate dreams to me. He made sure to outline to me every physical detail of the setting and overall plot of the dream, and when he got to the end I asked "So, what was the point? Did you figure out the meaning behind the dream?" And he just shrugged his shoulders and blew off my question.

Soooo... what does that mean?

the first point is an I type... he thinks before he gets others invovled... Extroverts like to bound ideas around with people and can drivel nonsense into the eithers then just stop and select the best....

The dream discription sounds S typed (specally since he didn't try and analyse it)...

Difficult thing to do... I can pretty well type people reasonably accurately these days, the trip wire is to really nail N and S's.... but actually if you listen carefully to the language they use it becomes pretty obvious... talk really abstract concepts with them and see if they close it down real quick - is the ultimate N divide.

Good luck with it... they sound interesting for you if nothing else.

neptunesnet

man-made
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5&4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Did you ever think about having more than friendship with this person? Just asking.
He strikes me as an INTP, but clearly I'm not the best typer around.

Don't think so.

Why would I have more of a friendship with him?
We have a friendship because that's all I want from him.
If I wanted something more, the relationship would have naturally moved in that direction. It never has and, trust me, it never will.

I have an INTP friend, too, (God, what are the odds?) and the two of them are starkly different, in my opinion. They don't always get along. I've seen the two of them clash and it's not pretty, but I can tell they have decent respect for each other. Also, I get along better (and I have a closer friendship) with the INTP. He's very... considerate and he listens to me. The INTJ?, on the other hand, can't really be bothered with my "theories." I hate to put it in these terms, but I'm just waiting for whatever usefulness I am to the INTJ? to run out, really :(.

Anyway, I honestly don't think he's INTP.
The INTP I know has a sweetness about them that isn't nearly as developed in this INTJ?.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I rest my case :D:D:D:D

Maths/physics/geek humour is generally not got by the masses, a true hall mark of INTJ :D
Yea. Your all just a bunch of incomprehensible saps.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTJ's I know don't tell jokes - or should I say their jokes are so unfunny they don't really classify.

Please don't think of this as a personal attack, but that's one of the lamest stereotypes I've ever read on TypeC, and it generally pops up like 3-4 times a week. Some INTJs are funny, others aren't - they usually crack jokes around their friends and ignore relative strangers, but that's it.

He likes insensitive jokes, he thinks of kindness as a weakness, disagrees with authority figures, he doesn't realize he's critical etc. = NOT SJ.

Uh he's my friend because he is only a friend to me.
If I wanted something more, the relationship would have naturally moved in that direction. He never has and, trust me, it never will.

Okay... I was being curious, no need to get offensive.
I accept your arguments, he may not be an INTP after all (though they have many subtypes I hear).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yea. Your all just a bunch of incomprehensible saps.

ha ha ha ha... I never said I didn't get the jokes, just the masses don't....

I went to a conference last week for analyst guys, the hight of the day was the opener who made an analyst joke...

The optimist sees the glass half full
The pessimist sees the glass half empty
The analyst wonders why the glass is 50% too big
:D te hgihlight of a vry dull day

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
My dad and I communicate almost exclusively in jokes. We can't find much more common ground.

INTJs will tell jokes, they just won't tell them to people who they know won't get them (i. e., Tinkerbell).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
He likes insensitive jokes, he's brilliant, he thinks of kindness as a weakness, disagrees with authority figures, he doesn't realize he's critical etc. = NOT SJ.

At the top of the page the OP points out he doesn't get conceptual thinking - I doubt he is an N type at all.

SJ can be really bright, really intellegent and still S types...

But feel free to demostraight live - the whole I'm right thing

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
So INTJs can't be playful?

never said that, but they tell BAD jokes....

I got spammed by my MSN recently, it came from an INTJ I know... it was full of smiles and warm language, and I knew it as pretty likely to not be from him (it wasn't it was some form of computer virus).

INTJs are playful in other ways... they themselves think their jokes are funny.... PLEASE don't inflict them on the world.... :D:D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
ha ha ha ha... I never said I didn't get the jokes, just the masses don't....

I went to a conference last week for analyst guys, the hight of the day was the opener who made an analyst joke...

The optimist sees the glass half full
The pessimist sees the glass half empty
The analyst wonders why the glass is 50% too big
:D te hgihlight of a vry dull day
That joke would certainly make my day.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
The INTJ?, on the other hand, can't really be bothered with my "theories." I hate to put it in these terms, but I'm just waiting for whatever usefulness I am to the INTJ? to run out, really :(.

Screams of S