User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

This thread has been dead a little while but, the humor description I kept seeing started to grate.

If I made a joke someone claimed was offensive, that person from that day forward would be considered annoying and though my joking ranges greatly, every joke I'd make within an ear shot of that person would be something I'm quite sure they won't like. Even if that "offensive" joke isn't a common type by me, out of spite towards oversensitive people, I'd make exceptions.

And you're right, you wouldn't find them funny and it wouldn't just be because of the "type" of joke it is. I wouldn't be the person delivering the punchline. It's your reaction that would be the punchline.

I would let it go on until you finally figured it out for yourself. I would also hope, at that time, that you would start avoiding me or not want to talk to me. I can't stand being in the company of whiners. Especially ones who can say they recognize something as a joke yet at the same time can take offense to it. That's like saying "I know that no offense was intended, but I'm going to make drama anyways because I'm a self-righteous tool who feeds off of playing the victim." It's people like that, that cause me to wish for natural selection to make a comeback for the good of humanity itself.

No offense!

MBTI
    ENTP

The OP sounds like an INTJ ex-coworker of mine...
    You can call me Charles.

Achebe is overrated. NTJ.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

intjs can be very funny. they are generally very dry bc their jokes are based on forms, relationships, and structures.

most of my intjs are well-versed in comedy, they know what is out there, have internalized it, and stretched it to fit their personalities. think tina fey. think demetri martin (intj or infj). Ni re-frames similar material into a kaleidocope of absurdity.

istjs rely on puns and up-your-ass crassness. they don't have the same shiftiness, the same subtlety, the same dryness. i find istjs fun to joke with in person, at times, but their standup routines bore the fuck out of me. intjs can be extremely clever, scheming, and well-developed when they want to be funny. that there are many completely anti-social/sociopathic intxs doesn't preclude them from having the capability to be funny. 6s and 5s are probably the most funny to me.

istj vs intj would be focus on Si vs Ni. intjs are more in love with sensory difference (Se) than istjs, who are more it is what it is. altho for injs this comes out less obviously especially at 18, bc it is an inferior function. Si and Ni will both, when used with Te, be hierarchically organized and built upon information relevant to objective goals and sub-goals. but Ni will be much more organic, constantly scanning the mind for relationships and patterns and possibilities and potential structures and motifs, whereas Si will be soooo concrete and object-oriented. both are rather visual, it seems to me. intjs will pick up on your patterns quicker and will generally be much more interested in challenging your perceptions, whereas istjs will focus on a more concrete game poking at you.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

UPDATE:

I've concluded that my friend is, in fact, an ENTJ.

Since I've started this thread, I've been reading up on ENTJ behavior on TypoC (i.e, Discobiscuit's "Child and Caveman" Theory) and been treating him as such. The results have been phenomenal.

Instead of mirroring him and using my Ti to try to connect (like NT to NT), I use my F now. I'll ask him about an idea he's been talking about or relate to a story he's told from a different angle, and he's much more receptive now in our conversations. His eyes even start to sparkle a bit. I think it's sweet. I haven't seen this side of him in a while, actually, and I'm beginning to remember how we became friends in the first place.

The other day, for example, we were having a conversation about performing on a stage (He's a cellist and I'm a violinist). The conversation veered into how I differ from another one of our friends (an EFSJ; also a violinist) in playing style. I told him that I'm not a performer because I don't enjoy playing for other people but that I enjoy playing for myself, and he agreed. He then went on to tell me that though he himself is not a great cellist and doesn't naturally play from his heart (he didn't use those exact words; I'm translating into NF language ), he can appreciate that, similar to the way that I am not a brainaic academically but can deeply appreciate intellectualism.

So, yeah. The friend is an EnTJ with strong TJ I'm thinking.

Commentary:

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Achebe is overrated. NTJ.
    Yeah well so are engineering programs and a sudden influx of math and science courses in the US educational system, but you don't see me ranting like an imbecile about how much more scholarship money is out there for engineering majors than, say, philosophy or theology majors, do you?

The issue isn't whether or not my friend is "right" in his opinion.
    It's a matter of respect. Respect for me and my opinions as his friend.
    Furthermore, he has a bias towards something for absolutely no reason. That's illogical. It's not as if he actually studied that piece of literature or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SWINTJ View Post
    This thread has been dead a little while but, the humor description I kept seeing started to grate.

If I made a joke someone claimed was offensive, that person from that day forward would be considered annoying and though my joking ranges greatly, every joke I'd make within an ear shot of that person would be something I'm quite sure they won't like. Even if that "offensive" joke isn't a common type by me, out of spite towards oversensitive people, I'd make exceptions.
    So, what exactly are you saying?
    No one anywhere ever should claim that one of your jokes is offensive because you said it wasn't?

I don't think it works that way.

And you're right, you wouldn't find them funny and it wouldn't just be because of the "type" of joke it is. I wouldn't be the person delivering the punchline. It's your reaction that would be the punchline.

I would let it go on until you finally figured it out for yourself. I would also hope, at that time, that you would start avoiding me or not want to talk to me. I can't stand being in the company of whiners. Especially ones who can say they recognize something as a joke yet at the same time can take offense to it. That's like saying "I know that no offense was intended, but I'm going to make drama anyways because I'm a self-righteous tool who feeds off of playing the victim." It's people like that, that cause me to wish for natural selection to make a comeback for the good of humanity itself.
    Hm.
    I'm hoping all of that was a general "you."

My friend is emotionally immature. Whenever he's angry or genuinely happy or panicked, it's frightening. The usually controlled and logical Andrew I know turns into a flustered mess.

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Yeah well so are engineering programs and a sudden influx of math and science courses in the US educational system, but you don't see me ranting like an imbecile about how much more scholarship money is out there for engineering majors than, say, philosophy or theology majors, do you?
    Err... I was joking? Next time I say something like that, I'm gonna add just to make myself clear.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Err... I was joking? Next time I say something like that, I'm gonna add just to make myself clear.

Sorry.

I'm just so used to people giving me the appeal-to-authority, "your opinion is stupid simply because I said so" excuse. It gets frustrating after a while.

Plus, your comment can only be read not seen, so I didn't get a chance to see your I'm-joking face.

And for next time, you only have to add an to make yourself more clear.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I have a friend who is INTJ.

Some characteristics of my friend that lead me to believe he's NOT an INTJ:

• likes to fit in
    • always cracking a joke so that he can fit in
    • appears more talkative than what I've heard of INTJs generally
    I like to fit in (if I like those people)

Sometimes I crack a joke because I'm sure it will be good at that time so why would I do something that I can?

I talk a lot, I may get people interested or bored and annoyed, but I never chitchat and I hate that. But I don't like being in a group of people I don't know very well.

Its a strategy for socializing I guess.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

After reading the whole thread, I'm convinced this guy is ESTP.

He likes hugging people....definitely not INTJ and probably not ENTJ.

He seeks attention, but his jokes are insensitive...ESTPs are notorious for sharp-tongued biting comments.

You mentioned him being interested in multiple girls...INTJs and SJs tend toward monogamy.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by twinkiesmom View Post
    After reading the whole thread, I'm convinced this guy is ESTP.

He likes hugging people....definitely not INTJ and probably not ENTJ.

He seeks attention, but his jokes are insensitive...ESTPs are notorious for sharp-tongued biting comments.

You mentioned him being interested in multiple girls...INTJs and SJs tend toward monogamy.
    Anyone can be interested in multitudes of people for a relationship, or just a fling, and any type can tell a witty joke.

Plus, hugs aren't prohibited from INTJs.