User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I was going to suggest INTP based on how I can relate to roughly 70% of the initial description.
    That would be my guess as well. Or eNTP.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

I was going to suggest INTP based on how I can relate to roughly 70% of the initial description.
    What parts could you relate to?

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    What parts could you relate to?
    Everything Bolded. Strikeout is no relation. Everything else I can relate to on some sense, but not necessarily as you have described. Slight commentary attached.

Some characteristics of my friend that lead me to believe he's NOT an INTJ:

• likes to fit in
    • always cracking a joke so that he can fit in (I use humor because it keeps my stress level down, not to fit in.)

Some characteristics that make me believe that he IS an INTJ:

• most of his jokes are quite clever (I enjoy most of them) (or so I like to think)
    • many of his other jokes are insensitive (these are the ones I don't laugh at and I make sure to tell him why I didn't like that particular joke even though I usually get a :rolli: from him)
    • he's very efficient, and he's very critical (I can follow both of those somewhat)
    • he doesn't realize that he's being critical. I sincerely think he means to help the person although most of the time his advice is unwarranted. (I've gotten this one a lot of in life. However, I think I realize it most of the time now.)
    • he makes a habit out of being insensitive, especially for the sake of a joke (Meh, sometimes)
    • If I comment on how smart he is, he gets really shy and says something to the extent of "whatever. I'm no different from anyone else" when he clearly is <sigh>. (usually)
    • he's introverted only because I've seen his room. It looks like a cave set up solely for him to think, read, and do work. His "bed" is literally like a cot. Who knows if he actually sleeps on that thing? (I use my bed for storage space and sleep on the floor, honestly.)
    • outside of classes he hardly ever goes anywhere. (why leave when you have the internet?)
    • he thinks he can take advantage of my kindness. I honestly think he sees it as a sign of weakness. He'll ask me to do something for him that he knows I won't do. I always reject him (nicely), but he keeps asking me like he doesn't care that I don't want to do it. (I may test it, but not for the purposes of taking advantage of.)
    • (this probably isn't type-related, but here goes anyway) he has (something that I think is often mistaken for) an anger problem. When someone touches his personal belongings, he freaks. Like full-blown hissy fit. The weird part, though, is that he's completely fine after a couple of hours. He starts talking to the person like nothing ever happened. (Hissy fit only applies when people go through my stuff without being granted permission.)

Or whenever he disagrees with one of our professors (really any authority figure over him), he gets into this weird mood where he doesn't want to talk to anyone, and he paces back and forth so as to either calm himself or reason out in his head why he's right and the instructor/authority figure is wrong--scariest thing about him. Seriously. (I may be figuring out how to prove my case, but that doesn't end up with me alienating everyone I know. As a general rule, I also don't focus on me being "right" and the other person "wrong" as much as I focus on there being some ground for compromise, such as the "authority figure" having a good idea, but executed poorly.)
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Everything Bolded. Strikeout is no relation. Everything else I can relate to on some sense, but not necessarily as you have described. Slight commentary attached.
    Isn't everything you bolded typically what NTs and STJs have in common?
    As far as I can see, you agreed with everything up to a point.
    I was having more of a problem distinguishing between whether he was N or S.

The fitting-in part is kind of essential. He wants people to like him.
    I think because he's a little on the strange side I thought he might be N (you have to admit we all are), but he could just be a good ol' ISTJ (s.a.r.c.a.s.m.)

Another Thing:
    I, too, get really upset when my things are touched without someone getting permission to touch them, but he gets furious if you touch his things even after he has deliberately taken something from you (in jest, probably). It's kind of childish, really. It may just be an individual quirk.

MBTI
    INTJ

• he tries to conceal the fact that he's brilliant. If I comment on how smart he is, he gets really shy and says something to the extent of "whatever. I'm no different from anyone else" when he clearly is <sigh>.

(...)

• Or whenever he disagrees with one of our professors (really any authority figure over him), he gets into this weird mood where he doesn't want to talk to anyone, and he paces back and forth so as to either calm himself or reason out in his head why he's right and the instructor/authority figure is wrong--scariest thing about him. Seriously.

(...) one of my very good friends is an INFJ, and he is, in no small exaggeration, obsessed with her. He's always complimenting her on how smart, beautiful, and perfect she is.
    All of the above are strikes against INTJ IMO. For the first two I'd go with INTP instead; they're the ones who are diffident about their intelligence and who can get worked up on account of new input that seemingly contradicts their worldview and need to spend hours reasoning out (using Ti) how their worldview could still be right (whereas Ni either just blocks out the input or rationalizes it with lightning speed). I'm not sure whether an INTP could be responsible for the excessive and unwelcome compliments, but I can say that it doesn't sound like any of the manifestations of INTJ attempted romancing that I've witnessed.

Edit: Oh, and the jokes speak for INTP over INTJ as well. We can be light-hearted, but we just don't have the ingenuity to crack (funny!) jokes all the time.

Second edit:

Now that I think about he generally speaks in very exact and concrete terms and gets exasperated whenever I try to "explore" an idea. I've never really had this problem with my other SJ friends (that's probably because they're all SFJ), so maybe's he's a strong S then.
    Precision of language is very INTP. (What do you mean by concrete terms?) The exasperation could be Ti disinterest in, if not disrespect for, an incompatible approach to idea exploration.

Third edit! neptunesnet, how do you reconcile your belief that he wants to fit in with the insensitive jokes and criticism you describe?

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I know a lot of warm and funny INTJs. Edgar, for one, is not at all what you might expect. He's a real sweetheart with a great sense of humor in person. (sorry for blowing up your spot, Edgar)

Also, a lot of NJs get irritated with NPs and our theories. Annoyance at our need to drag things on and on can come from anyone, not just SJs.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. If he's a nice guy, that's his type.

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    But feel free to demostraight live - the whole I'm right thing
    Wow. It seems not only INTJs are humorless after all
    Feel free to think that disagreeing with authority figures is a typical SJ trait, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    ISTJ's are the playful ones.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    And freaks out about it.
    It comes off to me as perseverness and self-certification.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Wow. It seems not only INTJs are humorless after all
    Feel free to think that disagreeing with authority figures is a typical SJ trait, whatever.

I'm not saying it's all SJ, just on balance with the data he sounds like an SJ... It's really easy as a N to see others as an N.......

Scores for the UK were from a telephone omnibus, similar enough to web profile data (although on web it gives 10% as NT)
    Chance of being SJ = UK 56%, ISTJ = 11%
    Chance of being NT = UK 5%, INTJ = 1%

So fairly big chance of mis atributation....

Lis

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    Third edit! neptunesnet, how do you reconcile your belief that he wants to fit in with the insensitive jokes and criticism you describe?
    Well, his criticism is supposed to be constructive, but it comes off as condescending and imposing to others. Also, the way I see it is if I have something funny to say that I know will offend someone I'll keep it to myself and probaby smirk to myself, but he makes a big show of it. Everyone must hear it and enjoy it. Oh, and God forbid if someone gets upset that he just trivialized the Holocaust in one of his witticisms. What he does is not the ENTP light-hearted way of joking nor is it the INTP one-liner type thing either. There's a certain crudeness to it that's pretty distasteful.

The problem with him is he's always trying to get a laugh. I couldn't imagine why else but to fit in that he'd want to joke about Jews with other eighteen year old boys? Appprently, that's in vogue now. Sometimes, I just want to grab his collar and ask, "Can't you be serious about ANYTHING?" Yet, he still manages to be focused on getting things done and efficiency. It's hard to explain, but I'm really trying my best to illustrate it here.

@jenocyde

I'm hesitant to say that he's a "nice" guy, but I consider him a friend and I want to understand him better. There are people who really don't like him and avoid him, but I've known him for years. I can't just blow him off. He does have his good traits.

Oh! Might I add for the record, too, that he has a tendency to be very aggressive/touchy feely with girls. Asking for hugs and finding ways to touch us and stuff. It's kinda strange and turns off some girls that we know.
    I mean, I know he's young, but really, man?

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

INTJs are playful! In their own awkward special little way.