• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] An INTJ's Journey Towards Being Kind To People; or, What's The Point, Again?

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
INTJs get typed as some of the crassest, rudest, most oblivious, and arrogant people out there.

Guilty.

Part of being as smart as I am (think numbers that would make Einstein blush) is KNOWING how smart I am. It irritates me when people argue with me when they are either smart enough to know I'm smarter than them and how much I know about a topic, and hence know I'm far more likely to be right than them---OR they're not smart enough to know the difference. One way, they should know better, and the other way isn't worth my time and energy to bother to try to change their minds.

(Anyone ever wanted to know how an INTJ REALLY thinks...there you go. :shock:)

There are some people that it's a pleasure to argue with, because they're both smart enough to know I'm smarter AND they know as much or more than I do on a given topic, OR they're as smart as or smarter than me. (Two of my grad school professors are highly likely to have had much higher IQs than me--notably, I dress more nicely and smell FAR better than they did :huh:)

Now, THERE'S some INTJ arrogance for you.

Guess what I've learned? People don't like it when you treat them like idiots when you deign to notice their presence, and they CERTAINLY don't like being ignored. Here's the problem: a great deal of my life is determined by people not under my immediate control. My employer, my doctor, my family, my friends, my landlord, my barista---these people control whether or not I have money, health, Christmas presents (yay!), people who love me, a place to live, and more importantly than anything else: my morning coffee.

I've been running a little experiment over the last couple of weeks. I have been DELIBERATELY kind to people. I've gone out of my way to tell five people a day three nice things about themselves, and tried to remember to offer to do things for people like run errands (when it would cost me very little in time and effort, mind. I haven't gone ENTIRELY crazy.). You would be absolutely STUNNED to see the reactions I've gotten. On a purely mundane level, people are inviting me to dinners and parties, making my life easier by doing things for me like offering to run errands while they're out, remembering me when there are events, and that sort of thing. On a less mundane level, it's not entirely unappealing to not have to battle my way through each day making people do what I tell them to because it's their job, or seeing people smile at me instead of giving me a carefully blank face (*don't notice me! Oh CHRIST. Here she comes! RUUUNNN!!*)

Maybe it's not entirely awful to be kind to people. It HAS produced an unfortunate side effect of more people wanting to talk to me, but I find that an iPod, shades, and a hat provide their usual comforting anonymity and ambient noise transformation.

Any other INTJs ever tried this "Being Kind To People" thing before?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Part of being as smart as I am (think numbers that would make Einstein blush) is KNOWING how smart I am. It irritates me when people argue with me when they are either smart enough to know I'm smarter than them and how much I know about a topic, and hence know I'm far more likely to be right than them---OR they're not smart enough to know the difference. One way, they should know better, and the other way isn't worth my time and energy to bother to try to change their minds.

(Anyone ever wanted to know how an INTJ REALLY thinks...there you go. :shock:)

There are some people that it's a pleasure to argue with, because they're both smart enough to know I'm smarter AND they know as much or more than I do on a given topic, OR they're as smart as or smarter than me. (Two of my grad school professors are highly likely to have had much higher IQs than me--notably, I dress more nicely and smell FAR better than they did :huh:)

:rolli:

I stopped reading past this point.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
:rolli:

I stopped reading past this point.

You're missing the point...the NICE part happens AFTER the INTJ realizes she's been being an idiot... ;)

And it's also possible that my dry wit isn't translating well. All, please feel free to note PARODY in what I said, not just truth.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
You're missing the point...the NICE part happens AFTER the INTJ realizes she's been being an idiot... ;)

And it's also possible that my dry wit isn't translating well. All, please feel free to note PARODY in what I said, not just truth.

Ah, well if it was a joke, then I hereby retract my rolleyes. I guess I'm just used to the disturbingly large amount of people here who would say that kind of thing in perfect seriousness...

Acidic Liquid

MBTI Type
ENTP
I completely agree with you. However, being kind to people is just so hard when I think they're complete idiots. I also tend to judge people before I get to know them, which from the sidelines looks as if they need to prove themselves to me before I can even take interest in whatever they're saying. I know it sounds arrogant and rude. Are all NTs like this???

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Ah, well if it was a joke, then I hereby retract my rolleyes. I guess I'm just used to the disturbingly large amount of people here who would say that kind of thing in perfect seriousness...

(1) I said it in perfect seriousness.

(2) It's literally true.

(3) I don't actually treat people like this in real life.

(4) When I was younger, I *DID* actually treat people like this in real life.

(5) I'm amazed I wasn't shot.

(6) Sometimes, real truth is still hysterically funny. Especially when what I'm doing is both parodying my younger self, and literally describing my kindness experiment.

(7) I was not joking about the iPod.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
(1) I said it in perfect seriousness.

(2) It's literally true.

(3) I don't actually treat people like this in real life.

(4) When I was younger, I *DID* actually treat people like this in real life.

(5) I'm amazed I wasn't shot.

(6) Sometimes, real truth is still hysterically funny. Especially when what I'm doing is both parodying my younger self, and literally describing my kindness experiment.

(7) I was not joking about the iPod.

Well then :rolli: fully reinstated!

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I completely agree with you. However, being kind to people is just so hard when I think they're complete idiots. I also tend to judge people before I get to know them, which from the sidelines looks as if they need to prove themselves to me before I can even take interest in whatever they're saying. I know it sounds arrogant and rude. Are all NTs like this???

Before I respond to this, I need to know if you're being serious or if you're joking.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I have a weird sense of humour.

Ok, good. You scared me for a minute there.

I'm starting to feel like Oliver Platt in The Infiltrator, where he thinks everyone around him is joking and has the same dry and inappropriate sense of humor as he does, and then realizes that they're not joking at all, and actually ARE Nazis.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
I hate to sound trollish but I find it contradictory that you claim to be such a smart person and yet the very basics of human interaction recently dawned on you. That doesn't sound very smart to me. People do all types of bizarre things like being kind and caring towards you when you treat them as more than gum on the sole of your shoe.

But either way, I'm happy that you've at least had the conversion. I hope it's genuine and it lasts.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most people are only smart at certain things. Then they arrogantly assume they are smart at ALL things, leading to laughable failure in areas where they are weak.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Kindness in an INTJ...

I don't know if this is kindness or "efficiency", but it's probably kinder to start telling people what decisions you make. Simple example: people sometimes ask why I didn't answer the phone or reply to a text message, and I'll come up with some fudged excuse rather than tell them, dude, I just didn't want to talk to you, I was putting my alone time and interests ahead of caring for you, K? Now, is it caring to fudge that hard-edged selfish time management, or is it kind to spell it all out and let the other person make their own decision? Spelling it all out is harder. There's, oh, I dunno, maybe 15 of the other 16 types that don't want to hear that from you, and you have to deal with the fall out... But still.

What, no, yeah, your ass is like two hippopotamuses wrestling in those pants.

Cranky

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I hate to sound trollish but I find it contradictory that you claim to be such a smart person and yet the very basics of human interaction recently dawned on you. That doesn't sound very smart to me. People do all types of bizarre things like being kind and caring towards you when you treat them as more than gum on the sole of your shoe.

But either way, I'm happy that you've at least had the conversion. I hope it's genuine and it lasts.

Ok, SERIOUSLY. No one gets my humor.

I'm JOKING. In a self-deprecating fashion.

The kindness part isn't a joke, though. I really have been trying to treat people with more kindness over the last few weeks. I got treated really crummily by an INFP, and I'm trying to do the karmic thing where I return kindness for cruelty. So far, it's making me feel better than being a total bitch would.

Mostly. :devil:

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Ok, SERIOUSLY. No one gets my humor.

I'm JOKING. In a self-deprecating fashion.

The kindness part isn't a joke, though. I really have been trying to treat people with more kindness over the last few weeks. I got treated really crummily by an INFP, and I'm trying to do the karmic thing where I return kindness for cruelty. So far, it's making me feel better than being a total bitch would.

Mostly. :devil:

Hey, hey now. A lot of people come on this forum saying the exact thing in glinty-eyed seriousness.

I feel like most people I come across are agreeable but I realize how I treat them effects how they treat me.

Wait until you get better at it and if you're having a bad day at work, somebody brings you a cranberry and gin and a sympathetic pat on the back. You will have arrived.

And that's a true story.

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Is it just me, or do all NTs get generalized as being rude and arrogant?

I wouldn't stereotype NTs in that way. I can understand where they're coming from, usually, and that it's not meant to be taken as arrogance. Many of them simply communicate and present their ideas without any window dressing, which comes off as arrogance to people unwilling to understand.

As for Cranky—an INTJ on a quest for kindness. It's so cute. :wub: Tell ya what: I'll help you on your quest for kindness if you'll help me on my quest to become mastermind of the universe. :D (Actually sorta kidding; the INTJs I've met are naturally nice! :)) Oh, and sorry to hear an INFP crummily broke your heart. That's mean. :(

Usehername

On a mission
Hey, hey now. A lot of people come on this forum saying the exact thing in glinty-eyed seriousness.

I feel like most people I come across are agreeable but I realize how I treat them effects how they treat me.

Wait until you get better at it and if you're having a bad day at work, somebody brings you a cranberry and gin and a sympathetic pat on the back. You will have arrived.

And that's a true story.

Reminds me of the time I thought SW was using an exaggeration to make a point (if abortion makes sense, then killing living babies should make sense too, if the mom doesn't want it at that point in her life or the parents don't have enough resources) and I defended him for several pages until I realized he was serious about killing babies.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
To me it is quite hard to be nice to people. I mean I can be nice but this is not who I am.
On the other hand I am not rude either (in most cases).
It is just that Fe simply isn't my thing.

Also most people tend to become cautious if I am nice towards them since that simply isn't the way how I narurally behave.