• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTPs vs NTJs

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Alright, I'm probably getting myself into a mess by asking, but frankly I'm curious. I had an hour long debate with my brother tonight on whether he was an NTP or NTJ (He believes he's "a natural INTP but a forced INTJ"... which doesn't make sense to me based on function order). To me, everything he does implies Ne + Ti, especially Ne, but as he's not very familiar with function types,so he simply says he's borderline J/P. Anyways, I say Ne because he has oodles of fun making goofy videos and seeing random connections between things, and he gets a lot of people involved when doing so. He's a resident right now, and got a bunch of other residents to make a trailer for a retreat coming up, using a soundtrack from a trailer for The Dark Knight, Joker dialogue and all. At the end of the video, he made a picture of an electrocardiogram shaped like the Nike symbol, saying "Just Dx it." He is -always- thinking of different meanings of things. He said that he has this blue and pink tie, and to him, that represents a boy and a girl for his son and daughter. So anyways, I realize this sounds like it should go under "What's my type," but I figured I rather have more clarity on how each of you uses Ni and/or Ne. How often do you use your shadow N function, if at all? How do you use it? Are INTJs capable of this seemingly Ne-brainstorming, or am I confusing Ni/Ne?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
entps are always someone else. He can be lucky to have a sister like yours.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
entps are always someone else. He is lucky to have a sister like yours.

Yeah, personally, I think he's an ENTP. But he seems very opposed to being an E, although he loves being "center stage," as he calls it, and isn't very private. He bases it on the fact he prefers doing things alone, and doesn't really need others around him. So yeah, it could be a toss up... I guess... Just one more debate to avoid, imo :doh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A wise poker player once said: a good poker player has patience, a lot of.

Therefore: stay a good sister and a wise one at that :)

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I think the Ni/Ne distinction is one of the more poorly described ones out there. There are too many ways the two are differentiated, and sometimes what is said of one in one description will be said of the other in a different one.

I do brainstorm ideas, but they tend, I think, to be a little more coherent, a little more oriented in a particular direction (as guided my my interests/goals) than Ne use in a person whose N is primarily Ne.

You could also focus on whether his T is Te or Ti. Does he analyse, identify principles, seek inconsistencies in and amongst theories and build a continuously evolving internal model, or does he structure and construct, organise, plan ahead and implement?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Sounds like an ENTP to me. Too silly to be ENTJ, too open to be I. ;P

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I agree that he sounds ENTP...INTP is also possible.

I do not see NTJ at all.

NTPs are actually more similar to STPs than we are to NTJs, due to Ti similarities. We are rationalists and they are empiricists--that's quite a distinction.

In reality NTPs have relatively little in common with NTJs.

P.S.,

If he thinks he is borderline P/J he probably does not understand the functional implications of that claim. This is common for people who don't understand the distinction between internal and external organization (Ps value the former; Js the latter.) He describes himself as "forced" to act J; this implies that he sees all forms of organization/hard work as inherently J. In actuality, he is probably very internally organized, but feels forced to organize his outer world more often than he likes. This is characteristically NP.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Just to add I agree that he sounds ENTP. What your relationship with him like cause my best mates ISTP so I'd be interested to see how to react to your brother.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
ENTPs are often confused or confuse themselves for INTJs...at least I've seen it happen fairly often on here.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You could also focus on whether his T is Te or Ti. Does he analyse, identify principles, seek inconsistencies in and amongst theories and build a continuously evolving internal model, or does he structure and construct, organise, plan ahead and implement?

His Ne seems a bit more obvious, but Ti is definitely there as well. I honestly think Ti comes across as J'ish at times, and that's his hold up. Growing up, he could spend endless hours playing video games and playing with Legos, which I feel is -usually- a Ti thing. His ISFJ wife had to put away his video games when he spent too long on them in Med school. He also said that he felt J because, while he wasn't very good at getting up in the morning and would be late to his first meeting a lot, he was -always- on time the rest of the day. So I asked what his motive was for being on time. He said he hates inconsistencies, and he wouldn't want anyone else to be late, so it wasn't right for him to be late. Ti?!?!?! :shock: I mean... I have an INTJ father, and yeah... my brother is just too silly and open to people. I would also like to add that I asked him why he liked making these videos and share them with his friends and family: "I just enjoy connecting random thoughts and pieces of information together, sometimes memories.. like from a show I saw or a situation I was in or a person it reminds me of, and figure... why not share them with my friends and family and let them in on what I'm doing?" ... Ne, Si, Fe, no?! :doh:

Just to add I agree that he sounds ENTP. What your relationship with him like cause my best mates ISTP so I'd be interested to see how to react to your brother.

Unfortunately, I'm not all THAT close with him. With a family of four kids that's always in the middle of some sort of drama/chaos, my brother and I seem to recede into our own lives to avoid getting involved. Buuuut, I love ENTPs! One of my best friends is an ENTP, I work with one, and I've dated one. I -always- have fun with them, and enjoy their company. Although I would like to add that we were only meant to be friends... romance does not work for the ISTP/ENTP :laugh:. I think we're more like-minded than some people may think. While my brother and I aren't close, we've always had this sort of comradery, and I felt we were very similar despite our frequent disagreements... so when I first heard about MBTI, I thought he might be an ESTP...but he is most definitely an N.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ENTPs are often confused or confuse themselves for INTJs...at least I've seen it happen fairly often on here.

I'd say it was more common for ENTP to confuse themselves for INTP, but not INTJ really... ENTP's extraversion is about being plugged into the external world primarily, and "people" are a secondary concern. Extraversion in general is often confused with Fe, whose primary concern is people. So ENTP's Fe being tertiary and low priority means when asked if we're "all about people", we usually answer "no", and therefore conclude that we're introverts. It's only on closer examination of the functions that the truth emerges :)

I concur with the guy/guyess who said ENTP's are more like ISTP's than any NTJ. My experience would corroborate with that. I find that my fondness for tinkering with the outside world meets nicely with ISTP's Se, and we click nicely with Ti as well. Non-linear ways of thinking and general spontaneity are things I share with my best bud (an ISTP), and though we differ in some ways it's not really a big deal, we generally see eye to eye on most things and those we don't, well, we're too laid back to get pissy about it, hence why we've never once fallen out in many years.

VagrantFarce

Here's a great quote about the different between Ni and Ne (from Personality Type: An Owner's Manual by Lenore Thompson):

"Where Extraverted Intuitives see many behavioural operations, INJs acknowledge many conceptual standpoints. They experience no need to declare one inherently better than another. Indeed, these types have the disconcerting habit of solving a problem by shifting their perspective and defining the situation some other way."

INTPS are guided by Ti, an inner mental framework that demands that their thoughts subscribe to a holistic causality determined by first-hand experience. An INTJ might regard this sort of stance as stubborn or arbitrary, since they find it easy to shift their perspective on life in order to solve problems. Ne is about finding contextual links in what is presented in front of you; Ni is about taking two mental steps to the left to solve linear problems.

[edit]this is probably why INTJs are seen as such immoral robots; if a problem needs solving, any stance is potentially justifiable.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
I would also like to add that I asked him why he liked making these videos and share them with his friends and family: "I just enjoy connecting random thoughts and pieces of information together, sometimes memories.. like from a show I saw or a situation I was in or a person it reminds me of, and figure... why not share them with my friends and family and let them in on what I'm doing?" ... Ne, Si, Fe, no?! :doh:
Certainly sounds like it - and it also sounds like an extroverted way to approach the whole thing. My guess would be on ENTP as well, FWIW, although that's obviously based on very limlited understanding of this person.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
sim thats not a great statement to make to someone trying to understand NTs. There are many similarities but most are internal. The differences I would say are more external.

You've got that backwards--NTPs and NTJs show certain surface behavior similarities (hence the letters in common), but these letters represent very different functional combinations. When you examine the actual internal processes and motivations, Ne+Ti ends up looking very, very different from Te+Ni.

Breaking down the functions, it looks much more similar to Se+Ti, in fact--as I said, they at least have Ti in common.

You're limiting yourself if you try to "understand NTs" as a group--it's much easier to understand NPs vs. NJs, or EPs vs. EJs. Silly Keirsey!

Having more letters in common doesn't necessarily mean you're more similar. For instance, in my experience ESFJs appear more similar to ENTJs than they do to ESFPs, because the ESFJ's Je+Pi "directive leader" approach (which is shared by ENTJ and all EJ types) is so dramatically different in motivation and intent than the ESFP's Pe+Ji.

Anyway, if you're new to these concepts, just remember that P/J is the biggest difference between people. If you want to know whether someone is P or J, find out whether they place emphasis on having their external world (schedules, concrete goals, timelines, etc.) or internal world (personal beliefs, internal consistency, etc.) more organized. Judgers organize externally; Perceivers organize internally.

Once you establish this difference it becomes very difficult to confuse NTP with NTJ--as I said, much easier to confuse NTP with STP because they share the Pe+Ji "explore and experience and then develop rigid inner rules" structure and also have the same secondary function Ti. (Note that NTPs share zero functions with NTJs.)

MBTI Type
INxJ
Yeah, personally, I think he's an ENTP. But he seems very opposed to being an E, although he loves being "center stage," as he calls it, and isn't very private. He bases it on the fact he prefers doing things alone, and doesn't really need others around him.

ENTP/ENFP are the most introverted extroverts. They need feedback from outside of themselves, but they also prefer to be alone more often than all the other Es.

How often does he shower?

< =3days/week INTP

> 3 days/week INTJ

lol And, there you have it.

Jaguar

Note that NTPs share zero functions with NTJs.

Not only do NTPs and NTJs share functions, they share all the functions.
Every person has the ability to use every single function.

Your posts are getting nuttier every day.
I'm going to start calling you Hitler-- the function nazi who thinks he alone, is allowed to tell people what functions they use.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not only do NTPs and NTJs share functions, they share all the functions.
Every person has the ability to use every single function.

Your posts are getting nuttier every day.
I'm going to start calling you Hitler-- the function nazi who thinks he alone, is allowed to tell people what functions they use.

sigh

They share zero functions in their dominant two as opposed to NTP/STP which share one...if you'd read the previous post you'd know that was the context.

Please read before you mouth off.