Thread: NTPs vs NTJs

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Default NTPs vs NTJs

Alright, I'm probably getting myself into a mess by asking, but frankly I'm curious. I had an hour long debate with my brother tonight on whether he was an NTP or NTJ (He believes he's "a natural INTP but a forced INTJ"... which doesn't make sense to me based on function order). To me, everything he does implies Ne + Ti, especially Ne, but as he's not very familiar with function types,so he simply says he's borderline J/P. Anyways, I say Ne because he has oodles of fun making goofy videos and seeing random connections between things, and he gets a lot of people involved when doing so. He's a resident right now, and got a bunch of other residents to make a trailer for a retreat coming up, using a soundtrack from a trailer for The Dark Knight, Joker dialogue and all. At the end of the video, he made a picture of an electrocardiogram shaped like the Nike symbol, saying "Just Dx it." He is -always- thinking of different meanings of things. He said that he has this blue and pink tie, and to him, that represents a boy and a girl for his son and daughter. So anyways, I realize this sounds like it should go under "What's my type," but I figured I rather have more clarity on how each of you uses Ni and/or Ne. How often do you use your shadow N function, if at all? How do you use it? Are INTJs capable of this seemingly Ne-brainstorming, or am I confusing Ni/Ne?
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

entps are always someone else. He can be lucky to have a sister like yours.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    entps are always someone else. He is lucky to have a sister like yours.
    Yeah, personally, I think he's an ENTP. But he seems very opposed to being an E, although he loves being "center stage," as he calls it, and isn't very private. He bases it on the fact he prefers doing things alone, and doesn't really need others around him. So yeah, it could be a toss up... I guess... Just one more debate to avoid, imo
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

A wise poker player once said: a good poker player has patience, a lot of.

Therefore: stay a good sister and a wise one at that
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ

I think the Ni/Ne distinction is one of the more poorly described ones out there. There are too many ways the two are differentiated, and sometimes what is said of one in one description will be said of the other in a different one.

I do brainstorm ideas, but they tend, I think, to be a little more coherent, a little more oriented in a particular direction (as guided my my interests/goals) than Ne use in a person whose N is primarily Ne.

You could also focus on whether his T is Te or Ti. Does he analyse, identify principles, seek inconsistencies in and amongst theories and build a continuously evolving internal model, or does he structure and construct, organise, plan ahead and implement?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Sounds like an ENTP to me. Too silly to be ENTJ, too open to be I. ;P
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I agree that he sounds ENTP...INTP is also possible.

I do not see NTJ at all.

NTPs are actually more similar to STPs than we are to NTJs, due to Ti similarities. We are rationalists and they are empiricists--that's quite a distinction.

In reality NTPs have relatively little in common with NTJs.

P.S.,

If he thinks he is borderline P/J he probably does not understand the functional implications of that claim. This is common for people who don't understand the distinction between internal and external organization (Ps value the former; Js the latter.) He describes himself as "forced" to act J; this implies that he sees all forms of organization/hard work as inherently J. In actuality, he is probably very internally organized, but feels forced to organize his outer world more often than he likes. This is characteristically NP.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

[QUOTE=simulatedworld;873901]In reality NTPs have relatively little in common with NTJs.[QUOTE]

sim thats not a great statement to make to someone trying to understand NTs. There are many similarities but most are internal. The differences I would say are more external.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Just to add I agree that he sounds ENTP. What your relationship with him like cause my best mates ISTP so I'd be interested to see how to react to your brother.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    nnnn

ENTPs are often confused or confuse themselves for INTJs...at least I've seen it happen fairly often on here.