First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    My Fe seeks out fairness, balance, symmetry. I could care less about people's emotional well being. Feeling emotional today? Suck it up.
    That's Ti, not Fe.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTP

I would say Ti/Fe. I give money to homeless people because I feel it is unfair they are on the street. Life dealt them a bum hand.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    I would say Ti/Fe. I give money to homeless people because I feel it is unfair they are on the street. Life dealt them a bum hand.
    Seems like balanced Fe. Inferior Fe is when you set traps for the homeless people instead, like I do.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Seems like balanced Fe. Inferior Fe is when you set traps for the homeless people instead, like I do.
    lolz
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lolz
    hahaha.
    What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...
    (Carl Jung, Psychological Types, Chapter XI - Definitions)

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duchessoftheshadows View Post
    This is from a post of mine but from the 4temps by linda v berens.
    " NF = meaning and significance, unique identity, search for who you are etc.

NT = mastery and self-control. Knowledge and competence."
    Please note that these are generalizations. Every human being to some degree would chase after the four general areas that Berens assigned to the four archetypes -- it's merely a matter of typical priority.

So it doesn't mean that NFs do not seek mastery and self-control at all, or that NTs do not seek meaning and significance and a sense of self. There's also some overlap in concept -- NTs seek understanding, and this can include understanding the "identity/essence" of oneself.

This rather complicates matters.

This post below is about the Animus, does this sound like how you INTPs experience Fe expression when it's in a negative light especially by the same sex? This is for INTP women to answer as i want to hear it from the female perspective.

...This seems to bring out a likely Fe inferior/animus. Not just pertaining to what i think is masculine, but what i think a women shouldn't do and that i find really false/trickery *negative Fe*.
    My impression is that both men and women would react in the way that you have reacted here to the mother, with a lot of the same gripes. I don't think just females would react that way; in fact, I think women can identify with some of the mother's feelings... but also might feel very strongly about NOT doing that to their own children, so they might have a very negative strong reaction to the 'bad mothering' going on here. (I think mothers who feel these negative pulls but fight them off and sacrifice for their kids in order to be a good mom are very turned off by moms who choose to be selfish.) Then again, men who have been treated so poorly by their mothers might also have a strong negative reaction.

I can appreciate positive Fe but sometimes even that makes me feel stupid or inadequet while being appreciative of this new found insight but i feel "inferior" *word just popped in my head, not influenced from the inferior function name XD.I do feel a step below the person and feel as if i'm not as loved cause i don't possess that finesse or skill of Fe. It really eats at me.*
    I don't know about that per se, I usually find it more with what I classify as Fi-oriented skills... just tonight I was with someone whom I feel like crap compared to, because I just cannot give as much as they can to our relationship. I try, but I can't, but they (INFP) seem to do it effortlessly, which in the terms of fairness (which is one of my priorities) leaves me feeling terrible.

Fe people, I just accept easier that they can play the game better than me; I'm usually left more in awe than jealousy/self-criticalness.

So INTP woman, do you tend to get irritated by the same sex portraying the negatives especially of your inferior? I find i do so i'm just trying to see if this is a factor of Fe inferior in the INTP woman.
    I usually see more women than men practice traditional Fe skills, so I already have trouble comparing female vs male Fe usage and my reaction to it. Hence all the negative examples that come to mind are also those of females misusing it. Men are much more apt to abuse Te when dealing with their spouse and children. I get pretty equally upset with whining/manipulative moms and abusive/domineering/insensitive fathers.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duchess
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer
    So in this case, it was frustrating because there was no good way to reach any sort of rational agreement, she just responds out of her values and it was up to me to take it or leave it OR come up with some flex on my part to make it work.
    . outside her programming as in Si Fe or?
    Yes. My mother was raised in a closed baptist community and never really ventured beyond that socially or mentally. She has shown a remarkable inability to process information outside her experience, even when the results have been detrimental.

For awhile, I pushed her, thinking if I did it hard enough and long enough it would challenge her to change. After some major major breakdowns in our relationship, I came to the realization that there were just some areas she could not readily develop in... or at least, she could never process them via the T or N functions, she just doesn't seem to have an ounce of either in her. But she's an amazing SF woman... so I've had to try to meet her on her own ground and be careful where I push her; it's not that she doesn't want to rise to the occasion, she just can't... and she still has gone out of her way to show love to me in her SF style even if I wish it was shown differently... so I've tried to accept that for what it is.

That's what's nice about MBTI and this forum. It helps me to understand where the person is coming, where the communication gap is etc, i love it . I think with MBTI it's not bible but it has helped hugely in my relationship with my mother and where our communication gap is and more.
    I think i've been much more productive too cause of understanding the model in accordance with my mom and i's relationship.
    That's good... and I think that's what it should be used for. It's not "definitive" on who human beings are, but it is an extremely useful tool in terms of mediating with others and learning to be patient and forgiving in one's interactions with others. Learning about MBTI (1) helped me feel good about myself, since I was no longer an "anomaly" but naturally who I was supposed to be and (2) gave me a framework via which to accept others and communicate better with them.

Especially with trying on the Fe inferior and hearing all the descriptions of how Fe inferior is experienced, especially in a grip. I noticed i related alot to how you Jennifer dealt with your Fe and your particular situation with your mother. And how you got out of it " she is my mother, always done right by me etc".
    Yes. My mother has made some terrible mistakes at times -- I think at core, she can be very cowardly, sigh, like a six-year-old might not be brave -- but she has always had good intentions and meant well.... and can't do better. I can respect her on that level and have sympathy and try to be there for her in turn.

I had a similar way of reaching conclusion of rising above it like my mother's innocent in all this, she didn't ask for her husband to die, she didn't ask for her other two daughter to try to manipulate and use her at every chance, she's an innocent bystander in all this as i am. That's when i realized she actually needs me and is not out to get anything from me as my sisters are.
    That is a big realization. I think it helps relationships if we can realize where the other person has good intentions, has actually been trying (even if failing), and where we can really put them and their actions in perspective rather than just reacting out of our own woundedness.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Please note that these are generalizations. Every human being to some degree would chase after the four general areas that Berens assigned to the four archetypes -- it's merely a matter of typical priority.

So it doesn't mean that NFs do not seek mastery and self-control at all, or that NTs do not seek meaning and significance and a sense of self. There's also some overlap in concept -- NTs seek understanding, and this can include understanding the "identity/essence" of oneself.

This rather complicates matters.

Good points.
    When they say NTs seek understanding it's a different kind of understanding then NF understanding as NTs seek knowledge,mastery?
    What do you mean in NT terms "Identity/essense" of oneself?

My impression is that both men and women would react in the way that you have reacted here to the mother, with a lot of the same gripes. I don't think just females would react that way; in fact, I think women can identify with some of the mother's feelings... but also might feel very strongly about NOT doing that to their own children, so they might have a very negative strong reaction to the 'bad mothering' going on here. (I think mothers who feel these negative pulls but fight them off and sacrifice for their kids in order to be a good mom are very turned off by moms who choose to be selfish.) Then again, men who have been treated so poorly by their mothers might also have a strong negative reaction.

oh...Are INTP women much different then the INTP male? okay so maybe this isn't a type thing, just a reaction to the situation? .

I don't know about that per se, I usually find it more with what I classify as Fi-oriented skills... just tonight I was with someone whom I feel like crap compared to, because I just cannot give as much as they can to our relationship. I try, but I can't, but they (INFP) seem to do it effortlessly, which in the terms of fairness (which is one of my priorities) leaves me feeling terrible.

Fe people, I just accept easier that they can play the game better than me; I'm usually left more in awe than jealousy/self-criticalness.

Hmm...definitely how i feel toward Fe. So think maybe that's an INFP thing on my half?

I usually see more women than men practice traditional Fe skills, so I already have trouble comparing female vs male Fe usage and my reaction to it. Hence all the negative examples that come to mind are also those of females misusing it. Men are much more apt to abuse Te when dealing with their spouse and children. I get pretty equally upset with whining/manipulative moms and abusive/domineering/insensitive fathers.
    So that may play a factor too in someone having a negative association with it perhaps?

Yes. My mother was raised in a closed baptist community and never really ventured beyond that socially or mentally. She has shown a remarkable inability to process information outside her experience, even when the results have been detrimental.

For awhile, I pushed her, thinking if I did it hard enough and long enough it would challenge her to change. After some major major breakdowns in our relationship, I came to the realization that there were just some areas she could not readily develop in... or at least, she could never process them via the T or N functions, she just doesn't seem to have an ounce of either in her. But she's an amazing SF woman... so I've had to try to meet her on her own ground and be careful where I push her; it's not that she doesn't want to rise to the occasion, she just can't... and she still has gone out of her way to show love to me in her SF style even if I wish it was shown differently... so I've tried to accept that for what it is.

That's good... and I think that's what it should be used for. It's not "definitive" on who human beings are, but it is an extremely useful tool in terms of mediating with others and learning to be patient and forgiving in one's interactions with others. Learning about MBTI (1) helped me feel good about myself, since I was no longer an "anomaly" but naturally who I was supposed to be and (2) gave me a framework via which to accept others and communicate better with them.

Like you were saying above with your mother and her different style of showing her love for you. Definitely need to learn how to do what you did cause there's that part of me that still gets frustrated with some of my mothers ways. But i guess that's what motivates me .
    Just two different styles of showing/receiving care and affection.

I'm just to in my head sometimes and she's thinking that's me not caring which is too far from the truth *introverted *

It just seems i'm more receptive to be open to communication and meeting her halfway but similar to your situation i'm currently telling myself " she does care just not as open to communication about it as i am. Not as affectionate either but she's had some situations that i can understand why that would make anyone weary of "affection".

Like when theirs conflict i like to solve it on the spot and work it out. She doesn't like to do that, she'd rather led it go and not confront it. Which i don't know if that is a good technique heh but she's been through alot so i imagine she's burned out emotionally. I do take it personal sometimes as if why can't we have an emotional interaction or discussion to resolve a conflict? I'm just trying to work on it i guess.

Yes. My mother has made some terrible mistakes at times -- I think at core, she can be very cowardly, sigh, like a six-year-old might not be brave -- but she has always had good intentions and meant well.... and can't do better. I can respect her on that level and have sympathy and try to be there for her in turn.

* learning this currently, it's hard but i'm getting there slowly but surely.
    I'm so happy for you Jennifer that you were able to work out and achieve acceptance with your mother. That's wonderful *

That is a big realization. I think it helps relationships if we can realize where the other person has good intentions, has actually been trying (even if failing), and where we can really put them and their actions in perspective rather than just reacting out of our own woundedness.
    It still is so hard but i really try to remember that realization when you feel that temptation to fall into an old pattern which i don't want to do. And hopefully like you have with MBTI. I can have something on my side to aid me in doing so . Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to answer my questions and share your stories with me .

Do you think i'm INFP Jennifer? You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable, figure you'll be objective and i do think in matters like these it's important .

* after reading about the how every daughter/son reacts to their parents bit and not wanting that for their children. Just thinking their's no way but Fe inferior it's hard i still see it sorta.

But i can see i guess how what i've been through has created Fe in a inferior way. I'm weary of anyone with negative Fe lol. "what do you want from me? etc the whole shabang".

What is Feeling?
    Feeling is primarily a process.....that imparts to the content a definite value in the sense of acceptance or rejection. In the same way that thinking organizes the contents of consciousness under concepts, feeling arranges them according to their value. Feeling, like thinking, is a rational function, since values in general are assigned according to the laws of reason...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Duchessoftheshadows View Post
    Thank you Jennifer for taking the time to answer my questions and share your stories with me .

Do you think i'm INFP Jennifer? You don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable, figure you'll be objective and i do think in matters like these it's important .
    I'm going to bed soon so I'll respond to the rest tomorrow... but... you do seem to say 'thank you' an awful lot and offer lots of emotional strokes for an NT. Usually when NTs discuss things, they might do this if they were brought up that way and see value in it... but not so instinctively, it seems conscious and thus a "strategy" on their part... is this conscious on your part? NTs general focus on the ideas, clarifying them together, and see value in that without having to add the veneer of overt courtesy all the time; that is their primary objective. NFs on the other hand tend to use the discussion as a way to build connection in some way, so those sorts of comments seem more typical; it's not all about content.

It's hard with women because they are so steeped in the "right way" to behave and are more expressively nurturing just by nature, so it's still hard to determine sometimes whether all that is learned or au natural.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx

Smile

I'm going to bed soon so I'll respond to the rest tomorrow... but... you do seem to say 'thank you' an awful lot and offer lots of emotional strokes for an NT. Usually when NTs discuss things, they might do this if they were brought up that way and see value in it... but not so instinctively, it seems conscious and thus a "strategy" on their part... is this conscious on your part? NTs general focus on the ideas, clarifying them together, and see value in that without having to add the veneer of overt courtesy all the time; that is their primary objective. NFs on the other hand tend to use the discussion as a way to build connection in some way, so those sorts of comments seem more typical; it's not all about content.

It's hard with women because they are so steeped in the "right way" to behave and are more expressively nurturing just by nature, so it's still hard to determine sometimes whether all that is learned or au natural.
    yeah me too.

It's like i want it to be known I appreciate the time taken out of your *generally* day to respond and if i didn't i'd feel like " oh no, they may think i'm ungrateful." I'll go back to correct it and stuff.
    Mother/sis are both SFJ so i don't know if that would play a factor at all.
    it seems pretty natural to express gratitude for me.
    It's all so confusing. FT do seem neck and neck.

hmm...interesting about the learned or all natural.
    Well I'm off to bed for the night.
    "Thanks " Jennifer.
    What is Feeling?