User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

You need a purpose, to distract yourself from such useless, depressive contemplation. Set some new goals, and aim high. Don't forget to shred anything that holds you back, but be careful, because sometimes you'll destroy something stable and be left with nothing.

All through school and that, I was just following others. Suddenly I ended up in uni and slowly lost motivation, so I started trying a few new things out, I switched unis (ditching any friends I had there), and completely changed everything, and gave up on the difficult subjects, because I wanted more, and I felt like I could see it just around the corner. I tried to get a job to support myself and possibly live on campus. I was bursting with energy... and eventually I realized that nothing went how I dreamed it would, it was all just a dream, and in following it, I destroyed everything I already had, and then ran away from the solution with more dreams. I'm pretty sure that I've miss-typed myself enneagram wise, that's some pretty clear 7 behavior.

The thing is, to find motivation, and keep a hold on it, you can't be a sheep, you can't rely on competition to drive you, you have to drive yourself. The main thing want is focus! I remember watching an interview with a famous chef who's father told him when he was young, that to get the gals swooning, you have to have money, you have to be successful. That was his motivation. Everyone has triggers like these, seek them out and manipulate them, and the whole world will bend at the knees before you
    5 3 9

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

You too suffered from lemming-syndrome ? Just in the second you thought you were cool in high school, following the masses everyone disappeared !

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    You too suffered from lemming-syndrome ? Just in the second you thought you were cool in high school, following the masses everyone disappeared !

Bingo! Bastards! No worries, I'm not dead and never will be!!! bahahahah!!!
    5 3 9

Oberon

Love. Eat. Love. Drink. Love. Play. Love. Sleep.

Repeat.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. Itís us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. Itís us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world.

Oberon

I want to play!

MBTI
    ENTP

I figure, rather than try to stick at doing one particular thing, it's more effective for an ENTP looking to establish some consistency and achievement in their life, if you figure out an underlying principle that you want to underpin all the different things you do.

That's motivation.

For me, what tends to drive most of my ideas is the desire to improve things. For me, it's the lot of marginalized people, that's what I'm always anxious to improve. But there are so, so many different things a person can do in order to affect that. From simply being a friend to someone who has nobody else, to simply seeking out public fora (internet or anywhere else) where you can give a voice to people who're misunderstood and promote better understanding, to voluntary work, to philanthropy and paid careers in the humanitarian sector (which can range from admin to medical, legal to construction and so on), I can be doing a dozen different things and yet, at the same time, it's all led by the one connecting interest or passion.

So if somebody asks me that dreaded dinner party question: "what do you do?", I don't feel like I have to awkwardly list the various different fields I've worked in, none for long enough to call it a career, and feel and look like a failure. I just say "I'm into the humanitarian aid sector, helping the marginalized in our society". Whether I do it for pay all the time or not, I'm still doing the same thing, the way I see it. Even in a non-charity sector job, I can still use my eye for improvements to tweak and change things to make life better for others - particularly when it comes to unfair or inefficient hierarchies that need some impertenent chap with little to lose, to challenge and shake them up in a way that benefits the underdogs. I've ended a few reigns of terror in my time although on paper I was "just a cleaner".

So yeah, you do need to establish some consistency and learn dedication, but being an N, don't fool yourself with trying to direct it at the S world of Things, Places and Stuff. Do it in the N world of ideas and principles, and make what you do in the S stuff serve those ideas, once you've established the ones you're gonna live by (keep it simple - for me, just 3 words: "make a difference"). Otherwise you'll always just feel trapped and resentful.
    Ils se dÔŅĹmerdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

I recognize my true passions as the recurring ones.

Eg. science-literature-music-Latin-science-technology-literature-science-research-literature-teaching-science-literature-MBTI-literature

So far, I've got my degree in science and teaching and I'm a working teacher now. My writing has been on hold for a few days, but it's now gaining momentum. I'm not afraid of not finishing my story, even if I'm currently too interested in MBTI to take care of the story. I'm confident my writing passion is a recurring one.

The same actually holds for story ideas. Like any good NP, I've got more ideas than I can manage. Right now, a new story idea is trying to worm his way in my head and suppressing the novel I'm writing now.
    In the past, I was afraid of letting that new, good story idea go, abandoned my current project and started the new one. Result: a thousand unfinished stories.
    Now I've built a good defence mechanism - the recurrent idea. If the new idea is a good one, it will come back. I'm not going to forget it. I can finish the current project, and when it's finished, I'll take a look at the new ideas and I'll choose one I recognize as a recurrent one.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

>> And all the time I have this gut feeling that I'm meant to do something with my life that is remarkable and worthy. I just can't put the finger on it and nail it, as there are, as you all know, way too many interesting fields out there to start on. <<

My husband is ENTP and he also talks about wanting to do something remarkable and worthy. For him, this is related to his social conscience. He wants to have a job that reflects his social values and through his work create lasting, positive change in the wider world and other peoples' lives. He would suffocate in a job that is too repetitive and mechanical or something where he has to use his skills to execute someone else's vision, e.g. he could never be an interior designer and do what other people tell him to do for their houses, he has to express his own vision and creativity. He's at the moment in the right field for his abilities and interests but not the right specific job and place.

Maybe that helps you and rings a bell somehow?

Good luck with your search. Otherwise, you've always got the video games