User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you process them?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • N-Dominant NT, believe I process values/feelings concretely

1 5.00%
  • N-Dominant NT, believe I process values/feelings abstractly

10 50.00%
  • T-Dominant NT, believe I process values/feelings concretely

1 5.00%
  • T-Dominant NT, believe I process values/feelings abstractly

6 30.00%
  • Other (please explain)

2 10.00%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Poetry and symbolism in certain kinds of creative expression are abstractions of emotions that attempt to recreate a subjective experience externally so that someone else might connect and relive some manifestation of it. Emotions are also abstracted when expressed in metaphor that attempts to define both the unique personal experience of that emotion and the ways in which the core of that emotion is shared universally. I think abstract emotion is about experiencing the emotion as a means to an end, which is understanding the experience of the emotion. One has to experience it to know it, but one also has to view it from a distance to know another aspect of it. This is how one fully understands the meaning of a particular subjective experience, by viewing it from all possible vantage points available to the person.
    Yes. I think that's it. You probably expressed it better than me, although that may be so specific that it only applies to INFJs.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I'm moved by both things though.

However, if someone is telling me about something that moved them, I'm much more able to identify and be moved to emotion if they're describing something abstract. If they're discussing literal things, I get bored ... unless I can find a way to turn them into an abstraction. Then I can be moved by the abstraction I've created.

So I probably do that all the time, including things experienced first-hand.

Hmm... this might be because your feeling is Tertiary rather than inferior. But yeah, I definitely know what you mean there. The bolded is especially true for me... if I can't turn the feeling into an abstraction, I can't identify with it or feel moved by it. Which means I don't end up valuing shared experiences the same way most other people do.

I seem to end up processing concrete reality in a ridiculously impersonal and cold way that strips it of personal meaning. The physical just seems like a cold, dead data mine, in comparison to my meaningful abstractions. My natural approach to processing physical information is roughly analogous to strip mining. It's a fairly destructive, detached process, and focused only on acquiring what's been deemed valuable as an end goal. Doesn't involve feeling anything about the experience.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

But then again, I don't usually like poetry, so maybe I'm completely off-base with this.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I think I might be immediately affected by concrete things but then abstract them to make sense of my feelings.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    ... if I can't turn the feeling into an abstraction, I can't identify with it or feel moved by it. Which means I don't end up valuing shared experiences the same way most other people do.

I seem to end up processing concrete reality in a ridiculously impersonal and cold way that strips it of personal meaning. The physical just seems like a cold, dead data mine, in comparison to my meaningful abstractions.

Yes. This is what I do.

MBTI
    INTJ

Let me see... if you process feelings concretely, you feel impacted by the physical environment. So this means that you would end up feeling moved about things like physical beauty, the experience of dancing, good food, or some kind of major gathering or party, possibly an experience with friends.

If you process them abstractly, you feel impacted by abstractions. This would mean you're emotionally moved by things like abstract beauty (such as an idea, the emotional appropriateness of particular plan or ideal, etc), the possible symbolism of something, or the thought of future achievement and praise.
    Definitely abstract for me. And when I do experience emotions as a result of something concrete, there's usually something abstract - interpretation, theory, an idea - mediating between the stimulus and the emotion.

Yet I hate poetry.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

if you process feelings concretely, you feel impacted by the physical environment. So this means that you would end up feeling moved about things like physical beauty, the experience of dancing, good food, or some kind of major gathering or party, possibly an experience with friends.
    If you process them abstractly, you feel impacted by abstractions. This would mean you're emotionally moved by things like abstract beauty (such as an idea, the emotional appropriateness of particular plan or ideal, etc), the possible symbolism of something, or the thought of future achievement and praise.
    Hm, yes, out of these two I am more likely to be effected by the former...but not entirely. I agree with what Two Point Two said about Ni-based conceptual emotion.

Eh, but I don't know. I don't experience strong emotions in direct reference to most of the things in my life. I'm far more likely to be moved by a movie or tv show...but I'm not sure if it is just an instant emotional reaction or because the theme it presents strikes a conceptual emotional cord.

So in other words, I don't even know enough about my emotions to answer the question

EDIT: Is it concrete if I am not moved by "poetry" (the idea of it) but I am moved by, say, a specific poem? :confused:
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Actually, the more I think about this, the more it's confusing. I don't really understand my feelings. I know that I have them, but beyond that, I'm not sure.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    So in other words, I don't even know enough about my emotions to answer the question

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Methinks this thread is destined for spontaneous combustion.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    EDIT: Is it concrete if I am not moved by "poetry" (the idea of it) but I am moved by, say, a specific poem? :confused:
    Hmm... it could easily be, actually. Especially if there was a concrete element in it that drew you, or something special about the circumstances in which you first heard it.