User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Really Unintelligent NTs

Has anyone ever met some really not-intelligent NTs? I would be interested to hear people's perception of some really unintelligent NTs.

Like, when you picture the lowest socio-economic family (not to equate intelligence with low socio-economic status, because clearly that is too one-dimensional and ignorant of complexities to be true, but they do have some correlation), you always envision the parents as S types who just have no concept of what's going on but can make some meals and scrape together enough cash to keep existing. But what about NTs who just don't get it?

What kinds of crazy things could they manifest? I'm sort of envisioning comedies. I think it would be different to see inside a dumb NT's world.

What would it be like?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

DURRHH I DUNNO

Maybe -- spelling errors online, crude strategy or design in person?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I have known NTs who are not stupid, but do stupid things because they cannot let go of their beautiful theory in the face of reality. They cause so much damage to their lives they'd actually be better off if they were stupid, but pragmatic.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I am sitting here scratching my head. I can't think of any "stupid" NTs per se that I've actually met.

The N+T factor really does help "bump" someone out of the world around them and help them to see beyond it, which contributes to intelligence because they see more possibilities than what a concrete person might. And it contributes to a desire to learn without necessarily even having a good reason to -- another plus when it comes to intelligence.

Usually "dumb" NTs get embroiled in paranoid theories of reality, or become really self-absorbed and thus disconnected from reality... making them "dumb." But it's not dumb as in "sheer brainpower," it's dumb in terms of not priming their pump with good information.

Also, some of the ones who are stupid are stupid in terms of "people intelligence" -- they understand how systems work, but they don't have any life experience that is necessary to understand people... which leaves them at a serious disadvantage in life.

I'd love to hear of any specific examples anyone can muster, since I'm drawing a blank.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I have known NTs who are not stupid, but do stupid things because they cannot let go of their beautiful theory in the face of reality. They cause so much damage to their lives they'd actually be better off if they were stupid, but pragmatic.
    I can totally see that. I've done that, but hopefully not to the degree that it's a trend.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

No, no one on this forum has ever met me if that's what you're getting at.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My dad is an NT (ENTj) who is very intelligent but has totally destroyed his life as a result of a series of very unwise choices (in my opinion, anyway) associated with some hardcore depression and anger issues. Does that count as dumb?

If you mean in an IQ sense, I don't know of any ridiculously stupid ones. However I only know...probably 5 or 6. And I don't really associate much with anyone I'd consider stupid, of any type, so my samples are a bit biased.

MBTI
    INTJ

I've never met an NT who is intellectually dumb. As others have stated, the problem arises when they do not know how to apply it properly (or they may be dumb as a brick concerning street smarts).
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If an NT grew up in a place with a very limited language... and no sort of abstract ideas to speak of, then they might be dumb, or at least would be unable to express whatever they knew.

For instance, what if they were peasants who weren't allowed to read, who'd never been more than a few miles from home, maybe worked on a farm in medieval times or something? They might be dumb.

As for whether I've known any? Well, no, but then I don't know any NT's either, except for one history teacher.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Various internet places seem to have a lot of people who at least act stupid on the internet, and who seem to have some interested in general in how some types of system work, figuring out things longer term, etc.

On INTPcentral there are a lot of people who, based on their posts, don't really have anything that they are particularly smart at, they seem to be below average compared to most people I see day to day.