User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

I immediately get distant and lose focus if the conversation steers away from anything that isn't relevant (i.e. smalltalk). With my wife this is after 30 seconds, but I can usually talk to my mom for a while (30 minutes) before running out of stuff to talk about. To me, there just isn't that much to talk about, I don't talk to most people for more than 15 minutes in person about anything.
    I'm not being critical, I'm just trying to make you a better person.

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

I've had fairly long phone conversations with my INTP friend, but there does tend to be long patches of silence (we're both often doing other things at the same time) and she does seem to prefer talking on MSN. Although more than once I've thought she was grumpy or whatever when talking on MSN, but as soon as I spoke to her on the phone, she was as pleasant as she normally is... I suppose that's the INTPs tendancy to be matter-of-fact about conversations, and not really use emoticons or exclamation marks. I'll admit I use both waay too much.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    they both lose interest and want to get off the phone after about 15 minutes.
    Oh my gawd 15 minutes?

It must be a matter of accustomation. I like to talk in person and to write and read on the net, both for hours at a time.

I don't think it's that much a matter of personality, just some practicality and situations and learning.

I want to be with the person whom I'm talking to to experience the conversation more fully.

On the other hand, I like to write on the web, to make it possible for both parties to think about the subject in greater depth.

Telephone conversations are - for me - something that I do to get something purposeful done. Some people want to chat with me a while before they can accept my invitation to see them, so I chat with them (and enjoy it). With others, we just get fast to the point, with few pleasantries - and save the good discussions for the time when we meet.

Just for background info, I've been a telephone interviewer for 4 years and I know how to talk on the phone. I just don't find it so entirely enjoyable as a conversation in person, or one on the web, perhaps because of the difficulty to see how interested one is. The anxiety of long phone calls often grows during the conversations, and it may or may not be recognizable from the voice (I have experience). Email writing, IM and face-to-face conversations all avoid this pitfall.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

This must be a trait I share with INTP's, because I really do not like to talk on the phone for long at all. I know I must annoy a lot of people with this behavior, like they think I do not care about them or something. I really prefer to keep phone conversations as short as possible.

Come to think of it though the only person who usually initiates hanging up before I do is my Dad who is INTP. Also the average phone conversation between me and another INTP friend of mine is at most 30 seconds (probably less). I see the phone as a means for efficient communication and not for socializing. This might just be an xNTP thing?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by arcticangel02 View Post
    I've had fairly long phone conversations with my INTP friend, but there does tend to be long patches of silence (we're both often doing other things at the same time).
    That describes me oddly well. I usually hate answering the phone, although I will if I know it's a friend. If there is anything interesting, especially when talking to another NT, we'll start debating, which is fun. Otherwise, on the phone and on IM, I get distracted and don't answer for quite a while.
    "'You scoundrel, you have wronged me,' hissed the philosopher. 'May you live forever!'" - Ambrose Bierce

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I see the phone as a means for efficient communication and not for socializing. This might just be an xNTP thing?
    No, I for one feel the same way. If I need to stay in touch with people I don't get to see very often, I prefer to write them or chat with them.

Admittedly I haven't tried the Skype + webcam combination yet. That might work for me.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Hmm... I don't like socializing on the phone at all. I get quite impatient with it, and I've always been this way. Just chit-chatting on the phone...yuck. Email's much better - I actually set up all my social stuff via email!

MBTI
    INTJ

I think it comes down to a T issue more than specifically an INTP issue. In my experience, Fs like to have long conversations on the phone, while Ts use the phone for very brief, specific purposes. When my ENFP sister or ESFP SO calls me, I find myself thinking, "What is the purpose of this call? Is there something specific they called to tell me?" My attention wanders and my patience dwindles the longer I'm on the phone. Don't get me wrong - I love long discussions - it's just that I would much rather do them in person. This also applies to every T in my life I can think of.

A suggestion: You might try text messaging. Most Ts I know, including myself, will respond much more quickly to a brief text. If you save the long conversations for when you see them in person you'll get much more out of them.

MBTI
    INFP

Wonderful replies! Thanks so much for the insight!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I see the phone as a means for efficient communication and not for socializing. This might just be an xNTP thing?
    I know that the first time I really recognized that people truly used the phone for socializing was when I lent my cell to my ENFP friend. He was calling his dad. I heard him say, "Hi, Dad. How's your day been?"

and I was baffled.

he was calling for a purpose; he needed a ride somewhere. and he wasn't even sucking up to get a ride. he was just genuinely conversing on the phone. why did it take me 20 years to figure out that people besides girly girls use the phone for more than efficient conversation?
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis