User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

the library.

ive read about 5 books on philosophy.
    ive checked out 5 more on building financial/economics models.
    im planning to learn some more calculus (via books) --> build even cooler stuff using mathematical finance books that i've found there.

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i have an ear-training program from undergrad called macgamut.
    supermemo is a memorization program that sounds exciting.
    mind-mapping software is useful altho i tend to prefer free-handing it
    sybellius is a good composition tool
    crayon physics deluxe is pretty easy but fun
    i like playing a chess program when i need to feel strategic
    wikipedia and stanford encyclopedia for philosphers and social theorists
    tho wikipedia is pretty much limitless, i also look up food and cognitive/biological science and occasionally history and definitely cities, as these are my interests
    i like audio-books at times, who doesn't like podcasts, ted talks are good if you're feeling really futuristic and bearded, and the teaching company is ok
    i go thru phases where i'll listen to a lot of standup comedy, altho usually i just focus on new music too much to spread around the love
    the milkdrop visualizer in winamp is also worth using
    i like forums for typology and city-data, i am still figuring out how to incorporate other forums and message-boards into my daily life- i love the format bc i process opinions more easily than logical lines of causation, i am better at seeing than judging
    i am still trying to figure out internet resources to improve my design skills, visual aesthetic/intelligence, and generally find better productivity tools and external brain software bc mine gets overdrawn pretty fast, plus practical shit which i have trouble staying on top of
    i want to read more poetry online, and i want something to replace pitchfork (tho the article written recently about the future of indie music when they were doing the roundup of the 00s was def by an infj!)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    i have an ear-training program from undergrad called macgamut.
    supermemo is a memorization program that sounds exciting.
    mind-mapping software is useful altho i tend to prefer free-handing it
    sybellius is a good composition tool
    crayon physics deluxe is pretty easy but fun
    i like playing a chess program when i need to feel strategic
    wikipedia and stanford encyclopedia for philosphers and social theorists
    tho wikipedia is pretty much limitless, i also look up food and cognitive/biological science and occasionally history and definitely cities, as these are my interests
    i like audio-books at times, who doesn't like podcasts, ted talks are good if you're feeling really futuristic and bearded, and the teaching company is ok
    i go thru phases where i'll listen to a lot of standup comedy, altho usually i just focus on new music too much to spread around the love
    the milkdrop visualizer in winamp is also worth using
    i like forums for typology and city-data, i am still figuring out how to incorporate other forums and message-boards into my daily life- i love the format bc i process opinions more easily than logical lines of causation, i am better at seeing than judging
    i am still trying to figure out internet resources to improve my design skills, visual aesthetic/intelligence, and generally find better productivity tools and external brain software bc mine gets overdrawn pretty fast, plus practical shit which i have trouble staying on top of
    i want to read more poetry online, and i want something to replace pitchfork (tho the article written recently about the future of indie music when they were doing the roundup of the 00s was def by an infj!)

Marry me.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    the library.

ive read about 5 books on philosophy.
    ive checked out 5 more on building financial/economics models.
    im planning to learn some more calculus (via books) --> build even cooler stuff using mathematical finance books that i've found there.
    In addition to this, I just thought that it might be worth mentioning that it may be possible to pay a fee to get borrowing privileges at a nearby university library. It may be cheaper for graduates.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

MBTI
    INTJ

Fortran...learning it all by myself...kind of painful and at the same time a lot of fun.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Bushranger View Post
    In addition to this, I just thought that it might be worth mentioning that it may be possible to pay a fee to get borrowing privileges at a nearby university library. It may be cheaper for graduates.
    Yeah, university libraries are incredible resources. I plan to subscribe to one of them after I graduate (now it's free for me), 100 a year are worth 100'000+ books
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

They should advertise NTs to teachers as "self-teaching students," which means they basically do all your work for you. For some reason, the idea strikes me as similar to a self-cleaning toilet, or an automobile that drives itself (making automobile far more literal in meaning).

"Struggling to teach students the old-fashioned way? Consider getting an NT student. Easy to teach, because it teaches itself!"

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    They should advertise NTs to teachers as "self-teaching students," which means they basically do all your work for you. For some reason, the idea strikes me as similar to a self-cleaning toilet, or an automobile that drives itself (making automobile far more literal in meaning).

"Struggling to teach students the old-fashioned way? Consider getting an NT student. Easy to teach, because it teaches itself!"
    Hell no. I can't motivate myself to learn anything I've been told to.
    I'll get you my pretty, and your little hermit crab too!

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Marry me.
    thanks, i'll take that as a compliment!

my roommate is an entp graphic designer and he has some great tools but many of them are iphone related. he gets so swoony when talking about his iphone, like it/they are the harbinger of the next phase of human socio-cultural cognitive evolution (which it/they might be).

i am interested in learning how to do image processing, i guess, but i generally get distracted and have a difficult time sticking to one thing. i like to sit in chairs a lot, which can eat up too much of my time.

i also find emoticon specialization to be off-putting at a certain point. i especially hate the head-smack and the devil sign and the thumbs up. the wink is just pure patronage, which is annoying considering in real life the wink is my all-time favorite gesture, followed by the shrug.

i use notepad for some notes before putting them into openoffice bc i appreciate the informality and the goddamned typewriterness of having to wordwrap.

i also just received a brulee torch for creme brulee, french onion, and lazy-man s'mores! and flambe! bananas foster! possibilities! etc.

what else do you use? i would like to be forced into making music with no skills or instrumental abilities or experience (except for a few almost purely written theory courses in undergrad and a corresponding ear-training lab). i should research this.