User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: INTJ writers?

MBTI
    INTJ

Default INTJ writers?

Hello my fellow NTs:

I'm a former INTJ teacher searching for a new career that will keep me challenged and interested! I have a tendency to get very bored with new jobs after the learning and excitement wears off. Of course, the NT Rationale group is the perfect group to give me objective advice!

My undergraduate degree is in Spanish - I love learning languages, in the academic sense, but I don't really enjoy careers where it is needed (i.e. teaching, nursing, etc) because I prefer to work alone. So I'm looking to start something completely new and I'm willing to go back to school to do it if necessary.

I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this? It's my dream, but of course that "rational" side of me keeps telling me it's not practical and I wouldn't make enough money.

I put myself in your capable hands for career advice.

MBTI
    INTJ

Friedrich Nietzsche comes to mind ...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

CS Lewis was an INTJ writer who did well. I think Orson Scott Card might be another (although that's just my "feel" for his type, I'm not positive).

INTJs tend to have a "plus" when it comes to explaining abstract concepts (they are able to ignore nuances that really bog down an INTP, for example, and focus on their points of interest). They also are closure-oriented, which means they're better at working to deadline and marketing/promoting their work rather than getting too caught up in the writing and being loathe to focus on the "business" side of things.

Hopefully there are some INTJ writers here who can better advise you on how to angle and/or market yourself. Good luck!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this?
    Ayn Rand was a successful INTJ fiction (and non-fiction) writer.

My (totally unqualified ) advice would be to crystallize the insights you have in which ever form suits you best.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    INTJs tend to have a "plus" when it comes to explaining abstract concepts (they are able to ignore nuances that really bog down an INTP, for example, and focus on their points of interest).
    I think INTPs are better at explaining abstract concepts (and generally) than INTJs. It is because putting words on the insights of Ni is very difficult for many INTJs. I feel INTPs on the other hand are voices of clarity, even though they are some times slightly elaborate.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    I think INTPs are better at explaining abstract concepts (and generally) than INTJs. It is because putting words on the insights of Ni is very difficult for many INTJs. I feel INTPs on the other hand are voices of clarity, even though they are some times slightly elaborate.
    I do agree with you there. Aside from the worry about whether I could actually support myself writing, my biggest fear is that I won't be able to adequately communicate my vision. While I think I'm a very good writer, it just never seems quite as good on paper as it did inside my head...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I think Neal Stephenson is an INTJ.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Oh, I can see what you are saying there. It must be hard to weave all of those ambiguous internal concepts into something that you can articulate in a linear verbal manner.

(The counter problem for INTPs is that they have a lot of trouble forcing artificial closure, because they always feel that if they cut something down into an understandable chunk, then the content is now "wrong" and not contextualized properly. But the average person usually deals better with the unnuanced chunk. I think that is the part INTJ's do better -- drawing those "artificial" lines of closure.)

Anyway... sorry for the derail, hopefully someone can give you [Kristin, I mean, now] some practical advice. In terms of selling your material, the annual Writer's Market is always a good source of venue and editorial contacts.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ

Kristin,

every time I've tried doing the writing thing I tend to have such a loud "inner critic/editor" that seems to cut out most of the good stuff before it ends up "out there" in the document. It took me ages to work out what I was doing to myself that way.

What I try to do now is do a "brain dump" - very uncritically a stream of words and then try to organise them.

Still haven't solved it really though.

So I got in to ceramics instead....

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kristin View Post
    Hello my fellow NTs:

I'm a former INTJ teacher searching for a new career that will keep me challenged and interested! I have a tendency to get very bored with new jobs after the learning and excitement wears off. Of course, the NT Rationale group is the perfect group to give me objective advice!

My undergraduate degree is in Spanish - I love learning languages, in the academic sense, but I don't really enjoy careers where it is needed (i.e. teaching, nursing, etc) because I prefer to work alone. So I'm looking to start something completely new and I'm willing to go back to school to do it if necessary.

I'm considering a career in writing - either fiction or non-fiction, but nothing technical or news-related. Are there any other NTs, espcially INTJs, that have had success with this? It's my dream, but of course that "rational" side of me keeps telling me it's not practical and I wouldn't make enough money.

I put myself in your capable hands for career advice.

Well, I've always heard that NF's were good with writing/language, and NT's were really only good at analysis and science. But if I can understand computers, I guess you can write.

Why don't you show us a sample of what sort of things you plan to write, and we'll tell you if it's any good or not?