User Tag List

123 Last

Default NT's Good at Math?

Am I the only NT who is rubbish with math? I can't understand it at all, I was only just slightly above average in primary school and once I hit high school I become below average. I can do well in every other subject but with math...I just freeze and my mind goes blank and I feel stupid and I hate feeling stupid. No matter how hard I study I always end up making stupid little mistakes on my tests that deduct from my marks and while I don't actually fail I end up with a mark that's much lower than what I anticipated.

I've always been under the illusion that NT's or maybe just T's in general were better with mathematics than their F counterparts but even the airhead of our grade does better on tests than I do...it's completely humiliating because I work my ass off and she's off listening to the Jonas Brothers -_-
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    INxJ

I know an ENTP that's also average. Some NTs might not like to do it, but they tend to be of good math skill.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Math (especially at the high school level) is definitely an SJ thing. You just memorize the rules and apply them over and over again and they won't make sense to you unless youre digging deeper and examining the theories which you don't really do on the basic level.

Also, math doesn't come naturally to you if you're an NT, you still have to work at it. Extensively.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    Am I the only NT who is rubbish with math? I can't understand it at all, I was only just slightly above average in primary school and once I hit high school I become below average. I can do well in every other subject but with math...I just freeze and my mind goes blank and I feel stupid and I hate feeling stupid. No matter how hard I study I always end up making stupid little mistakes on my tests that deduct from my marks and while I don't actually fail I end up with a mark that's much lower than what I anticipated.

I've always been under the illusion that NT's or maybe just T's in general were better with mathematics than their F counterparts but even the airhead of our grade does better on tests than I do...it's completely humiliating because I work my ass off and she's off listening to the Jonas Brothers -_-
    I'm guessing you are one of those people who used to want to hogtie me and beat me. I'd forget a formula, but not the principles and rederive it while writing the test and ace it. I used to play FF7 instead of study...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxxx

In Middle School and High School, I was always top of my class when it came to math. It was always easily my "best subject."

My INTP friend, however, always struggled a bit with the subject. The "if this isn't interesting, I'm not going to learn it" approach, if you will. She being a writer and at the time desiring to become a psychologist, she didn't see any applications of what she was being taught. She ended up being capable of doing most anything in math, provided time to grasp all the "nonsense." However, I wouldn't call her a math wizard by any stretch of the word. She just applied her logical thinking and got through it all.

By counterexample I disprove the notion of NTs being good with math.

Side note: I'm accustomed to hearing "good at math" instead of "good with math." Just an interesting pronoun distinction.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

I hate maths but I had a talent in it. Never studied it though. If I did study it for about a day I'd get full marks. I didn't study it though and came out with average grades. I don't really care though as maths are not part of my future plans. This was back when I was in school.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

If it's any consolation, I'm not an NT, but I struggled with higher algebra.

I did fairly well in lower-level math after it finally "clicked." Before it did, I was counting on my fingers and toes more frequently than I care to admit.

From then, it was smooth sailing right through Algebra 1 and Geometry, and even the first half of Algebra 2. Once I hit the second half of Algebra 2, though, everything went to hell in a handbasket. I barely passed the class, and that was mostly because they fudged my grade.

When I took the test in college, I got placed in remedial Algebra I, and did well. Then I moved on to remedial Algebra 2, and failed!

I recently took a test of my skills, and apparently I'm very good at applied mathematics, like the kind used in accounting or measuring, though going much beyond that is too much for me. My mental limit seems to occur right around where college-level mathematics starts, which effectively keeps me from getting a college diploma.

I've really tried, but I simply can't grok math much past Algebra 1 and Geometry.

I CAN make change, set up a spreadsheet, calculate a budget, convert units, determine area/volume, and understand/create comparative bar graphs/pie charts, though. Which are all apparently useful career skills.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Im not good, but not bad either. I only learned the basic stuff, but i can solve some bit harder stuff too, not because im good at math, but because im good at solving problems. It just takes bit more time and effort, thats why i rather not do it, unless its something important.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I think the multiple intelligences model is better at describing this sort of thing than MBTI. Some NT's are excellent at math, some are not so good, and there are plenty that are somewhere in between. Overall I'd say NT's are better at math on average, because NT's are more academically inclined in general.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I did well until I decided to stop doing homework in the 11th grade. I still got average grades, though. It was always one of those easy, boring subjects that I never liked. But my calculation and enumeration skills are abysmal.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness