User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Well, I'm an INTJ but my N and S are relatively close (I test ast ISTJ about 15% of time) and math did come to me quite naturally. I think it came to me naturally because as a child and later as an adult because I always wanted to put things into order and math can help to accomplish that (like building something).

My ISTJ friends were always very good at math and tend to be quite talented when it comes to working through the details of a problem/project. However, they seem to have a terrible time applying those concepts beyond math problems. They can understand what's going on, but putting that understanding into 3 dimensions can be a challenge for them.

Bottom line is that I think there is something to be said for the suggestion that an N/S balance helps with math. The S will help you to understand the details, but the N will help to apply those concepts in unique ways.
    "God is good but never dance in a small boat." -Anon.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

I have a love/hate relationship with math. I love it because it's one of the few things I find mentally challenging (good this this is the NT forum, or that could have sounded cocky). I hate it because when I'm doing poorly at it, I feel like I'm somehow less than I should be. It's nice to know being a math nerd isn't a requirement to be an NT.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Good at math, hate doing it.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I can only understand math as part of a system. The only way I 'get it' is if I see it in action, so I might not 'get' something until long after I 'learned' it.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I can only understand math as part of a system. The only way I 'get it' is if I see it in action, so I might not 'get' something until long after I 'learned' it.
    i second this. learning proofs never helped me. watching 1000000 examples and I 'll learn it without even trying. Chemistry and Physics dept should be in charge of math teaching. The math department needs to stay the fuck away haha.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    i second this. learning proofs never helped me. watching 1000000 examples and I 'll learn it without even trying. Chemistry and Physics dept should be in charge of math teaching. The math department needs to stay the fuck away haha.
    Math Departments are usually consistent. While I can appreciate change, I do not appreciate "let's uproot a fully functional system because we can, giving everyone the stress of having to change their schedules in order to adapt." Darned English Department. INTP "keep external world simple," if you will.

</slightly-on-topic rant>
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    eNTP

I love math as a concept, but hate math CLASS. It was just too easy and slow! I always leaned heavily on test scores or my habit of (semi-politely) correcting my teachers' work for my straight-A grades; I never had to do much homework or take any notes... I just, well, understood things immediately. People came to me with questions instead of the math teacher (although whether I helped them or not depended on my mood)..

Please don't tell me I'm actually an SJ.....
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    Am I the only NT who is rubbish with math? I can't understand it at all, I was only just slightly above average in primary school and once I hit high school I become below average. I can do well in every other subject but with math...I just freeze and my mind goes blank and I feel stupid and I hate feeling stupid. No matter how hard I study I always end up making stupid little mistakes on my tests that deduct from my marks and while I don't actually fail I end up with a mark that's much lower than what I anticipated.

I've always been under the illusion that NT's or maybe just T's in general were better with mathematics than their F counterparts but even the airhead of our grade does better on tests than I do...it's completely humiliating because I work my ass off and she's off listening to the Jonas Brothers -_-
    Everyone here has made good points already.
    You might not necessary "suck" at math. It is more likely that it was not taught properly to you. Elementary arithmetic is fairly easy to teach. High school math class was always exceedingly boring to me. There was nothing behind it. There was no cerebral challenge. The higher levels of math are increasingly more difficult to teach someone. I suppose it is also extraordinarily frustrating to try and teach something complex, that you thoroughly understand, to someone who cannot readily grasp it. Math is like learning another language. A language used to described patterns and concepts. I believe NTs should be taught math holistically. Or any N for that matter. I craved to be taught the history behind math and where the formulas are derived from. Until you get to Calculus math is seriously boring and an SJ, in some cases, will out do an NT.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

I love maths!
    At school I was always the best at it but constantly got on my teachers nerves by re-inventing solutions to almost every kind of problem. My teachers would get annoyed because I'd start working through an exercise before they had finished explaining it. They would ask me what the next step to the example was and I'd just tell them the answer.

Totally disagree with maths being easy for SJs. Any exam with problem solving seems to have SJs completely lost as they rarely have a n understanding of the logic behind the rules.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    eNTP

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    I love maths!
    At school I was always the best at it but constantly got on my teachers nerves by re-inventing solutions to almost every kind of problem. My teachers would get annoyed because I'd start working through an exercise before they had finished explaining it. They would ask me what the next step to the example was and I'd just tell them the answer.

Totally disagree with maths being easy for SJs. Any exam with problem solving seems to have SJs completely lost as they rarely have a n understanding of the logic behind the rules.
    Story of my life.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.