First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Math (especially at the high school level) is definitely an SJ thing. You just memorize the rules and apply them over and over again and they won't make sense to you unless youre digging deeper and examining the theories which you don't really do on the basic level.

Also, math doesn't come naturally to you if you're an NT, you still have to work at it. Extensively.
    I wouldn't underestimate the SJs if I were you.
    In my high school, our top ten was mostly SJs who had all taken AP/college-level math courses and were passing them with flying colors. Their knack for detail is ALWAYS appreciated in the math/chemistry/physics area, and add to that their pragmatism and unyielding hard work... Viola! Math machines.

Actually, acing difficult math courses may not have anything to do with type but with just pure intelligence. I did notice though that our top ten was mostly NT/SJ with an ESTP (the vale and a ruthless SOB) and an INFJ (#10 and the only chick). It really couldn't have been any more stereotypical
    Last edited by neptunesnet; 10-09-2009 at 04:08 PM.

MBTI
    xxxx

Perhaps this is where having a somewhat balanced N/S could be extensively useful? :p
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Its not as if I'm stupid...math is just my Achilles Heel, its the one subject I can't bullshit my way through, I just can't get it...and I guess my pride has a lot to do with it, I hate looking stupid and thus I don't ask for help and pray that if I study hard enough I'll magically "get it".
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

You have to decide whether or not to talk about actual understanding or school decided rankings. SJs are definitely better equipped for school than NPs, and probably better equipped than NJs as well before the university. So while they might not have the most comprehensive understanding (or perhaps some do, individual mileage varies), they've studied all the right specifics to make the grade.
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

I can get the concept but it's the little things, or maybe I just "think" I get it. It's also the fact that I can't see anything useful for it, learning how to calculate tax in like the 5th grade will probably be something I will never forget and all that crap, learning things like geometry is also pretty easy. I'd say the one strand of math I'm completely useless in is algebra. It's the damn x's I tells ya >_<
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Perhaps this is where having a somewhat balanced N/S could be extensively useful? :p
    You win the prize.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    I'll bet balanced J/P is beneficial as well. Drive and flexibility are a winning combination.
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Functor View Post
    I'll bet balanced J/P is beneficial as well. Drive and flexibility are a winning combination.
    I think I win this one.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    I wouldn't underestimate the SJs if I were you.
    In my high school, our top ten was mostly SJs who had all taken AP/college-level math courses and were passing them with flying colors. Their knack for deail is ALWAYS appreciated in the math/chemistry/physics area, and add to that their pragmatism and unyielding hard work... Viola! Math machines.
    They're great until they need to start to use the topics to come up with original research and/or applied examples that haven't been taught before. Which still means that they're great for 95 percent of school-time, yes.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP

If math is a complex system of various concepts that intertwine, yet can be understood, then NTs should be very good in math.

If math is a "plug the numbers into the right equation" activity, then I see motivated SJs doing a better job.

Strangely enough, during a particular semester of high-school math, I was the only person whose grade rose when we were studying logic.