User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic Darkness View Post
    Am I the only NT who is rubbish with math? I can't understand it at all, I was only just slightly above average in primary school and once I hit high school I become below average. I can do well in every other subject but with math...I just freeze and my mind goes blank and I feel stupid and I hate feeling stupid. No matter how hard I study I always end up making stupid little mistakes on my tests that deduct from my marks and while I don't actually fail I end up with a mark that's much lower than what I anticipated.

I've always been under the illusion that NT's or maybe just T's in general were better with mathematics than their F counterparts but even the airhead of our grade does better on tests than I do...it's completely humiliating because I work my ass off and she's off listening to the Jonas Brothers -_-
    Yep, that was me starting my junior year of high school with pre calculus. I can't remember rules for doing a lot of basic math (factoring, simplifying, any formulas) so I make all kinds of stupid mistakes. It's not pretty.

The conceptual stuff was never a problem, and I think I got into the habit of going "oh I understand how this works" and never took the time to memorize any of the the details (and then I'd run out of time trying to reconstruct formulas on tests and fail them...). If I had actually taken the time to study (since that was effectively the only class I ever would have needed to study for) I'd have been a lot better off.

Also anything applied is about a million times easier (otherwise I can't identify what the end product should look like). Right now I'm in college taking "Applied Calculus" for business/social science majors, and it's way better. So there might be hope for you yet.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

I could if I want to be

I just don't want to be

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I suck at math. There's nothing to grasp onto.

^ I won't touch that comment. Lol.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    It's ok Jag. I'm on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    There's nothing to grasp onto.
    That's what she said!
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP

There is only one way to understand math, and it is to go at it alone.
    All you need is pen and paper.
    Teachers and guidebooks only obstruct. So it is with every subject.

If you do not want to understand anything, then you are an absorber.
    You get good grades. You learn by heart. You memorize and learn by rules.
    The teachers love you.

But if you want to understand, it is another thing.
    Never read elementary books, go directly to the advance level and complicated stuff.
    The elementary level teachers and the elementary books are dangerous.
    They insist on telling things that should never be told.
    Only if you are uninstructed, you can find out.

Everybody who is interested in math, is capable of learning it.
    If you do not learn it, it is because you read book-guides and listen to teachers.
    So it is with every subject.

There is no high grade or low grade. There is no grades.
    The teachers say: First you have to learn A before you are able to learn B.
    It is not true. The A is in the B.

Learning is a child's game.

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm pretty average. I got mostly C's in middle school math, and A's in high school math even though I hated it. By college it dropped to B's and C's. I really don't know if I slipped because I just dislike it so much, or because I really just can't do it. I had a lot of trouble with infinite series, mostly because my algebra skills suck and it was definitely a skill needed to solve all of those problems.

I do tend to do much better at Calculus than things like algebra. The problem is, you need algebra to get to the end of a calculus problem. For example, I can get a hard integral into a solvable form, but then I'll screw up when finding out its value. I also make tons of little mistakes, like flipping a negative sign or doing random things with fractions wrong.

But yeah, I've never been that amazing at math. I did good in high school because I worked my ass off.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    Yep, that was me starting my junior year of high school with pre calculus. I can't remember rules for doing a lot of basic math (factoring, simplifying, any formulas) so I make all kinds of stupid mistakes. It's not pretty.

The conceptual stuff was never a problem, and I think I got into the habit of going "oh I understand how this works" and never took the time to memorize any of the the details (and then I'd run out of time trying to reconstruct formulas on tests and fail them...). If I had actually taken the time to study (since that was effectively the only class I ever would have needed to study for) I'd have been a lot better off.

Also anything applied is about a million times easier (otherwise I can't identify what the end product should look like).
    Although I'm not an NT, I can totally relate.
    I took AP Calculus in high school, understood all the concepts, didn't bother memorizing the shortcuts because I felt I understood the meaning behind the equations conceptually, and ALWAYS ended up with borderline Bs. Like, 79.5s rounded. It made me sick! Same thing happened in my AP Physics class that same year. My teacher refused to teach us any conceptual stuff. We just worked math equations [BAD move], and with Divine help I managed a C- in the class at the end of the year. Completely ruined my senior year .
    I can still feel the hatred I had going into those classes every day. They were emotionally draining, and I felt incompetent not being able to easily excel at something I worked hard at ...although it wasn't entirely my fault that the way the teacher taught wasn't exactly the way I learned.
    Oh well.
    Once I got into college, I took the lowest math and a science that I was interested in and swore off physics and calculus forever. I couldn't take that sort of distress again.

MBTI
    entp

you need to practice and understand math...learn that shit

i have noticed a weird phenomenon though

in university,
    calculus and circuit analysis comes easy to users with secondary Ni. i have seen this in ENTJ, ENFJ
    linear algebra, programming and sciences come easy to Ne dominant/secondary users. i have seen this in ENTP, INFP

i can comment more on Ne...seems like Ne can deal with more stuff at a time and Ne seems to think in terms of optimized systems.

what i mean by 'optimized systems': when you dont know alphabets, you learn the alphabets, ABCD, and then attempt to write the word CAT...when Ne thinks it knows ABCD, it attempts to think CAT without even considering ABCD. as Ne tries to run before it fully knows how to walk, it trips a lot...till it can finally sprint

conversely, Ni thinks of ABCD and then builds onto CAT and thus always knows how to build up to the word CAT; it started with baby steps and learnt how to walk, once that was clear, Ni decided to run

if ENTP halted and took the time to let Ti do its thing, you'd be the master of calculus...but alas! halting and taking time is the counterpoint of the very nature of an ENTP