User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I enjoy working with the team and I find (as an NFP) I bring strengths to the table the NT's can overlook or even dismiss. (I work with many so have first-hand experience in that regard.) They get stuck in the weeds sometimes and forget that they are trying to solve problems to make people's lives easier. And I don't know if this is too broad a generalization, but every NT I know wants to create their own application instead of looking out in the real world to see if the solution has already been coded.

But the details? Icky. Bring on the big picture any day. Much more engaging.

The most ... dedicated ... programmers I know are INTJ's actually. Not necessarily the best, or most creative, but the most focussed and absorbed.

MBTI
    entp

yeah...im lucky i get to switch jobs every once in a while...i would go crazy just knowing that ill be around on the same desk and same chair for an indefinite time

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

So INTPs aren't good at programming or people don't know how to best use an INTP programmer?

I'd reckon that most places, most offices, could use an INTP but also most places/ offices wouldn't know what to do with one. Oh and that applies to almost every type... oddly enough people just don't seem to know how to manage people a lot of the time.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

ive just started getting into programming as a side project. im hooked! i hear of ISXJ and INTX, but do any of you ever see ENTJ programmers?

do most of you here have a CS degree? Or do you have something else?

MBTI
    INFJ

I am a entj programmer. It is generally boring for me.
    Atleast the intp can stay long hours by themselves, but a entj with their need
    to be around people and for the big picture, programming is the worst.

Most NT would make good programmers. The part i like about programming
    is the problem solving.

I am thinking about trying pair programming, atleast I got somebody energy to feed off of(most extroverts know what i am talking about here when i say feed off of someone's energy)
    Join my gamma group on facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/edit....id=63943661343
    Thats if you are either ENTJ, ISFJ, ESFP or INTP

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

I'm an INFP programmer. The saving grace of programming for me is that although it's detail oriented, you only have to get each detail correct once and the computer handles the monotony. It's also all about applying general principles, so a good design should have a "big picture" feel to it. Plus, one is typically either implementing something new or debugging a problem, both of which require a certain kind of problem-solving creativity.

Also helps that for me as an INFP part of the pay-off is helping others (my co-workers and our customers) and I only get the emotional pay-off once my work is usable by others. That emotional pay-off helps me persevere to the end of projects (at least after years of practice).

I don't think I could handle doing programming if all the interesting parts were worked out in advance. I also need some interaction with coworkers, since really it's all about helping others to me, even if my coworkers don't know that.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Look at it like this: Our primary function is basically understanding/analyzing systems. So, learning the "system" of a computer language falls into that category. We'll study it until we have a very good grasp of the language. That's the Ti part.

Then coming up with some creative way to apply that system could really fall under Ne, our secondary function. Seeing possibilities and ways to make things easier with certain programs or applications, is a way of extroverting our knowledge of that particular system to the outside world.

The "in the garage", just for fun, non 9-to-5 type of programming is really a dream situation for the typical INTP, provided that he even has an interest in computers. I love the study of "other systems", but I'm just not that into computers. It does fit very nicely into the INTP archetype, however.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Yosako View Post
    Why is computer programming usually a career suggested to INTPs, when it requires being EXTREMELY careful with implementation details? INTPs are horrible at that, however INTJs and ISTJs can do well.
    INTPs are good at creating a system's architecture - figuring up the system design, but not doing the actual coding/getting stuck with pesky little nuances. That can get in an INTP's nerves pretty quickly, or at least it did for me when I had to do some coding for a CS degree a couple years ago.
    INTP's just suck at focusing their attention on something they don't genuinly care about.

I'm no fulltime programmer, but I do love programming and I can spend as much time on it as I wish and be extremely careful with details and all the little things that go with it. I love getting stuck, solving the coding problems, and making software work.

Programming works for INTP's that enjoy programming.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I almost went into fine arts (painting/illustration) and somehow ended up in CS. Surprisingly, i enjoy it so far; it's essentially problem solving. Maybe in the future i might take up graphic design-- i'm not 100% sure....

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Yosako View Post
    Why is computer programming usually a career suggested to INTPs, when it requires being EXTREMELY careful with implementation details? INTPs are horrible at that, however INTJs and ISTJs can do well.
    INTPs are good at creating a system's architecture - figuring up the system design, but not doing the actual coding/getting stuck with pesky little nuances. That can get in an INTP's nerves pretty quickly, or at least it did for me when I had to do some coding for a CS degree a couple years ago.
    A detail is in a second order.
    The second order is not another order.