• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Demystifying the INTP "charisma"

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
I'm just wondering. How legit is the claim?

Every detailed INTP description website tells that the charisma exists but couldn't get that much into the specifics of it. It doesn't help either that most MBTI forums have a saturation of INTPs, over-flattering themselves.

Being inherently INTP, this is something that I had interest with over the past recent years, and made some observations.

Among the rationals, my basic impression is...
ENTJ - thinks he's God
INTJ - can be as brutally sarcastic as the ENTJ, but based on my experience with one, I'd rather hang out in an INTJ than ENTJ because the former doesn't assert too much his biases, unless when provoked (in most cases, that is).
ENTP - the only archetype among rationals with a glaring charisma.

INTP is an interesting case. Right now, I can easily identify three INTPs that I know, two of them are incredibly hate-able social retards, it easily makes me question my archetype (mine usually varies. INTP, INFP, ENTP, depending on the test I take. Though as of the moment, I consider myself eNtP. Mildly dominant E, and T). The other INTP has INCREDIBLE charisma.

INTPs are hard to sub-categorize, in my opinion. It's like we have too much variants within an already apparently minority MBTI archetype. There seems to be a broad spectrum between the very likable variants of the INTP and the very hate-able.

To be fair (so that I won't get to flatter myself by involving myself), I looked at the charismatic INTP that I know, also observed all the charismatic ENTPs (and some close INTP archetypes) that I know, and I came up with some conclusions:

1. Putting INTROVERTED THINKING in the proper social context. The charismatic INTP I know does something like this. He lets the other person (or the group) initiate the talk. He later supplements the talk with his broad knowledge base, usually hardly contradicting the statement but further affirms it, focusing on the other person's statement's merits. The major point to consider is the supplement approach. The broad knowledge base is never initiated. The INTP guy never initiates the deep talk, thus reducing the chances of overwhelming others with his intellect.

If he couldn't supplement it, he asks questions. And this is where INTPs are good at. THEY ASK GOOD QUESTIONS. By doing this, it shows that the INTP is interested with the person's view, and asking good questions provide a good measure of the INTPs intellect. So at least this mode of conversation is good to both parties.

2. Introverted Thinking Simplifying Complicated Concepts - as they say in INTP websites, Introverted Thinking likes to simplify what is complex and making complex something that is apparently simple. I do tend to observe that the former is very well appreciated and the later is hated. The former displays an intention of the INTP person of keeping-things-light, which is a basic socializing protocol.

By simplifying something that is complex (basically putting it to its essentials), the INTP sends the impression that, "Hey, I may be smart, but I want you to have a full understanding of what I want to explain, and not overwhelm you with needless rhetoric.

Still, the other person learns from the INTP. (usually, number 2 is best combined with 1)

3. Self-deprecating humor - ENTPs have full mastery of this. INTPs may acknowledge their faults, but they hardly make jokes about it. The more socially inept ones are too defensive of their pride, they end up as opinionated as an irritatingly outspoken ENTJ sometimes. The more appealing INTPs I know are good at making fun of themselves.

4. Making something humorous/charismatic about what's perceived of you to be negative - I'll use an example. NTPs get accused all the time of being bums. One ENTP I know is PROUD of the image, he dresses up BUM style. But it's a stylistic BUM. It looks like an Otaku/Hiphop dress-up hybrid. Not so minimalist. Looks a bit hiphop ghetto, but stylistic.

Until he starts speaking. By dressing up BUM style, he makes a bit of an under-declaration of himself. But not under-declared enough to be considered ghetto. But when he speaks, it's articulate enough that it brings a surprising intellect factor that is not normally expected of him at initial glance.

5. Flirting -- INTPs underrated trait. the P function can help us create figurative open-ended statements, hence making us less accountable than J statements. Figurative statements give a sense of conversational control, unlike J statements that is easily more susceptible to accountability in cases where politically incorrect statements are made.

Based on experience, it helped me do wonders on ENFJ, INFJ, and ESFP. Though personally, I prefer ENFJs. They romanticize the context of the figurative statement. And they make sure that it has a better sense of clarity, so that the next statement from the INTP is progressively, but comfortably more defined.

Last edited:

Skyward

Badoom~
MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
9w1
Dunno about anyone else, but my INTP friend has a calm "s'all cool, man" vibe. He doesn't do much pushing like the other NTs do- ENTPs by trying to talk you into it, ENTJs by calling you blind, and INTJs for knowing the best answer already (at least THEY think so)- and the fact that they're just as easy to push over as an INFP while still being a sort of logician. I think of it as a 'objective whimseyness.'

People like their easygoing personality.

Not all INTPs are like that though, some are assholes, but every type has them :D

SilentStream

MBTI Type
INTP
Yeah this basically describes me when I'm at my best and the kinda person I want to be more often. Well except for the flirtation skills :huh:. I'm very laid-back with people and I don't do the whole NT thing, rather I generally expand on what they said that I agree with and ignore what I think is incorrect. Well most of the time ;).

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I've seen charisma in many introverts and seen it lacking in many extroverts. I think it's more related to being comfortable with yourself and confident with your projected image than any inherent facet of a persons type.

For example I know an ENFJ who lacks charisma because he's got a speech impediment and grew up being bullied. Hence he's not often comfortable or confident and hence lacks charisma... of course give him a few drinks and the situation changes a bit... but alcohol does funny things... so does he :)

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I think you're over-analysing a bit. Obviously, in every type there are more and less charismatic individuals. There can be a number of reasons for this, you name some of the reasons YOU think are charismatic for an INTP. But I can imagine that an 'S' wouldn't think the type of flirting an INTP typically does is charismatic. Nor would dressing up like a bum be.

To me it sounds like you're describing a system why some people would like INTP's (mostly because they're open-minded and easy-going) rather then that you are demistifying anything.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Wow...5 stars. These are pretty good observations. *takes notes*

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Nice list of traits. I think that covers a decent amount of how INTPs get their moments of charisma.

Dunno about anyone else, but my INTP friend has a calm "s'all cool, man" vibe.

I think a lot of it could come down to that. Some INTPs put out a cool easy-going vibe or another socially palatable quality, others don't or can't. Generally the more normal looking and sounding INTPs will have an advantage over the more hopelessly nerdy looking INTPs when it comes to this.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with nearly all except this:

3. Self-deprecating humor - ENTPs have full mastery of this. INTPs may acknowledge their faults, but they hardly make jokes about it. The more socially inept ones are too defensive of their pride, they end up as opinionated as an irritatingly outspoken ENTJ sometimes. The more appealing INTPs I know are good at making fun of themselves.

INTPs are quite good at self-deprecation. It's a pretty common trait. The hateable INTPs often lack it, but the average INTP has it.

Cool INTPs: act like ENTPs

Hateable INTPs: act like ENTJs

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTPs are quite good at self-deprecation. It's a pretty common trait. The hateable INTPs often lack it, but the average INTP has it.

I do this also. I do it to show that I am not trying to hide or get things out of people. Its full disclosure so what I say can be taken for what is and you dont feel like I am trying to mislead you.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Nice text.

I didnt know intps usually have hard time making jokes about themselfs, i do it pretty much, maybe even bit too much. My entp friend hardly ever jokes about himself like i do.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I am charismatic, but only among people I know well.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Cool deductions Cypocalypse. I can see that most of it is true in my case. I'm not sure I can verify it with anything else than my own personal experience.

INTPs are a hard bunch of people to describe sometimes.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Cool INTPs: act like ENTPs
Hateable INTPs: act like ENTJs
In what manner are you attributing those links?

I'm wondering because I've not seen many INTPs direct people and fewer perform social experiments. I'm thinking you mean that cool INTPs are more extraverted but then this theory grinds to a halt with the ENTJ link. It'd fit more into my thinking if you'd said INTJ, hence the question.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In what manner are you attributing those links?

I'm wondering because I've not seen many INTPs direct people and fewer perform social experiments. I'm thinking you mean that cool INTPs are more extraverted but then this theory grinds to a halt with the ENTJ link. It'd fit more into my thinking if you'd said INTJ, hence the question.
You like Hustler?

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
You like Hustler?
:rofl1:

You might theorise that Hustler has control issues but I couldn't possibly comment...

He is rather... unique though. And last time I looked (about 3 years ago) wasn't he quite popular with a certain sect?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
:rofl1:

You might theorise that Hustler has control issues but I couldn't possibly comment...

He is rather... unique though. And last time I looked (about 3 years ago) wasn't he quite popular with a certain sect?
Yes, but he's the ENTJ subtype.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yes, but he's the ENTJ subtype.
Not to pull up old disagreements but I'd still place him as INTJ. If he was an ENTJ he wouldn't really see the point after a certain length of time in trying to shepherd others to his way of thinking. Surely it'd be say a length of a few months and then the whole "I'm sorry but you're going to have to die" would kick in and he'd stomp off to do something actually productive?

Well unless INTPc was his hobby...

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Not to pull up old disagreements but I'd still place him as INTJ. If he was an ENTJ he wouldn't really see the point after a certain length of time in trying to shepherd others to his way of thinking. Surely it'd be say a length of a few months and then the whole "I'm sorry but you're going to have to die" would kick in and he'd stomp off to do something actually productive?

Well unless INTPc was his hobby...

He's the ENTJ/INTP variation. Look at how he tries to control INTPc culture.

Productivity is measured by his influence.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
He's the ENTJ/INTP variation. Look at how he tries to control INTPc culture.

Productivity is measured by his influence.
The way he describes it you'd think that word should be reproductivity...

We digress...

Why is the subtype ENTJ though? What's the defining points?

I'm struggling to see an ENTJ INTP in a non healthy manner...