User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default ENTP as a nano-engineer?

I will be applying to UNI next year and I'm very interested in this new and emerging field, and I was wondering if an ENTP would be good nano-engineer. Due to the fact that this particular field of engineering is new, there is only one path for nano-engineers to choose, and that's research... Are ENTPs good researchers?

What do you guys think?

MBTI
    INTP

Judging from the ENTPs I've known, and from MBTI, I would say yes ... I think ENTPs would make excellent researchers. They are usually very inventive and have the extraverted charisma to inform others of their findings in a positive manner. I think the field would be a good match.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Big yes
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    ENTP

I always thought that an ENTP would find research boring, no?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

You left out the most important detail... The salary.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ENTP

Money is quite important, and I have no idea what researchers make. Can someone fill me in?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic Liquid View Post
    I always thought that an ENTP would find research boring, no?
    I know two who seem to enjoy it. However they also spend a fair amount of time politicking and schmoozing to get funding and buy in for their projects. They are also pretty good at presenting their findings in an interesting manner. I guess that appeals to the extraverted preference.

MBTI
    ENTP

Hm maybe it is interesting.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Hey I'm in 4th year nanoengineering, and I just wanted to point out that research is NOT the only thing to do in nano. There is tons of work in law (largely patents) as well as in commercialization. You can also be a professor or administrator.

I think being an ENTP is a big advantage in nano... our program is full of xNTJs and we are NOT imaginative types. My nano professor is an ENTP and he is amazing at what he does because he literally finds a snake in his backyard and takes it to school to examine its skin under an electron microscope. You pretty much have to be an xNTP to be truly amazing with nano, as it requires a lot of imagination and interest. The NTJs just go into management in industry and don't give a shit about the theories.

Our professors make like 150k a year plus a shit ton extra in grants for their research so I wouldn't say there is a salary problem. Also, they are often doing seminars and presentations and conferences so I don't think the extroversion would be a problem at all. And as I said, if you dont like research you shouldnt have a problem getting into industry.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm a researcher in the US dealing primarily with nanotechnology. You could call it nanoengineering but I am more on the pure science side of things.

A significant part of what goes into research is, as Nighthawk mentioned, promoting your work. I have known ENTPs who are not so good at this. What happens is they promote their work a little bit, but then stop. You have to promote, and keep promoting, which is not so easy. Fortunately your PI will cover most of this work so it is not that bad.

A large part of it is also intelligence, and being able to not only understand very complex problems but also to teach yourself the material you need to understand related concepts. I think type does not have much to do with this.

Another part of it is also inventiveness, and coming up with new ideas that no one has tried before. This is the ENTP specialty.

Finally you have to actually do shit in the lab. Take your ideas and try them out. Get the data that supports your hypothesis. Then you have to write it up, which usually involves writing out these really long, dry, papers that no one ever really reads. This is the ENTP weakness, because you guys like to come up with new ideas, not implement them. But if you can overcome this weakness, you will be a pretty good researcher.