User Tag List

First 12

I just finished a Masters degree at university, and I hated it. I might have failed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Functor View Post
    I'm curious about how some of you older INTPs did in school and what you did immediately afterward. What did you study? Did you find studying to be soul-crushing, as I do? More importantly, do you have any advice on how to deal with this? Did any of you pursue postgraduate study, and how does it compare to being an undergrad?
    What a question.
    Like fire and water .. but now I remember there are also good schools.
    I had forgotten. I have not much personal experience of such things.

I was the best in one school .. inofficially. In another school I was the second best, at the time of graduation.
    The combined time period I spent in these two schools was less than two years.

The bad schools .. how long I spent in them? I have to think .. it is 22 years. I cannot believe it. But it is true..
    I spent a long time in them only because they were so very bad.

If there is a hell on earth, it is an INTP in a bad school.
    You are bound to make a lot of influential enemies.
    How many personal enemies I did make in the academic world?
    I do not bother to count, but it must be a lot more than a hundred.
    Too often, when I opened the television set, I saw one of those enemy faces. I had to give up watching the TV.
    I still read the newspapers.
    Well, to be truthful I didn't read them, for many years.

The faces are not there? Well .. they are there, too. They are everywhere .. but when I read the papers I do not need to hear the voices.

And I do not need to see the mimics. And I do not need to throw up so much.
    Do they differ from each other? No.
    Well, they are men and women, mostly men.

Why did they hate? Some of them still do. Why is the hate so intense?
    Why I had such an important part in their lives?

They suffered. They were in great pain, if they had to watch me.
    They did not want to hear my voice, but they had to.
    Why did they elect to be teachers?
    The elementary teachers love to be with children.
    And the professors want be with young adults.

They are filled with their own authority. It makes them feel good. Important. Respected.

They love to hear their own voice echo in the spacey places.
    High windows. Lots of marmor. Spartan pillars. Dog at home.

Wow. What dept. were you in, Wildcat, and how did you make so many enemies?

I really don't know what to do with myself at this point in time. The type of math that I have studied doesn't exactly have many real world applications... it is mostly of interest to research mathematicians and physicists, and I am finding that career path less and less attractive each day. Furthermore, my grades are nothing to be proud of so regardless of the advanced coursework I have done, graduate school might not even be available to me. Damn my strongly pronounced P!
    Ti = Ne > Fi = Ni > Te = Si > Fe = Se

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I did good in school. Graduated from two universities with BAs in Literature and Language and European Cultural Studies. I also have a MA in Literary Theory. Currently, I am undergoing two PhD programms.

Work sucks, I'd much rather be a student all my life.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful Functor View Post
    Wow. What dept. were you in, Wildcat, and how did you make so many enemies?

I really don't know what to do with myself at this point in time. The type of math that I have studied doesn't exactly have many real world applications... it is mostly of interest to research mathematicians and physicists, and I am finding that career path less and less attractive each day. Furthermore, my grades are nothing to be proud of so regardless of the advanced coursework I have done, graduate school might not even be available to me. Damn my strongly pronounced P!
    I studied only the compulsory math. I never reached the higher grade. I failed.
    I failed also in ln every other subject.

I went back to school. I had two teachers, not only in in math.
    One gave me an A, the other one gave me a C. Every time.
    Advancement of the student is not a thing of the student. It is the thing of the tutor.

The best scholars are the NJs. The SJs are not far behind.
    The SPs are regularly thrown out.
    They get bored. No wonder. Academia is boring.

The NPs are tough. It is difficult to find the excuse to banish them.
    They are diligent and keen. You cannot attack them directly. Some of them get through.

Why learning and understanding is dangerous?
    College books mystificate the subject.

The scribes in ancient Egypt developed a complex writing system.
    Complexity has no place in the subject of learning.
    It is an art of mystification.
    Mystification is not about what.
    It is a thing of power.
    Power belongs to the priesthood.

About math.

The thing of math is that it is not complex.
    It is direct.

The NJs tend to be good in theoretical physics. Not in math.
    The SPs are a lot better in math. Watch their chess play.
    The NPs are beyond the pale. In math.

Bless your P.
    You are the lucky one.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

My dad is an INTP, and he went to university to study economics and political history, I think. He's currently a HR manager in the learning department of an insurance company (Hiscox). He gives presentations on MBTI, hence why I know about it now.

I'm in my first weeks of university and I'm studying English & creative writing. I like the course, but the cohabitation is what I'm finding less enjoyable. I don't mind the studying, it's the deadlines and assignments that stress me out. I manage this by simply doing a little bit of work at a time, rather than instinctively trying to finish it in one go.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I don't mind the studying, it's the deadlines and assignments that stress me out.
    Yep, same. I've got four or five books checked out from the Math/Physics library here, and I'm loving them. If I spent that time on coursework instead though, I would surely be making As. It's not that I'm not motivated or interested, it's that I really have trouble learning on someone else's schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I manage this by simply doing a little bit of work at a time, rather than instinctively trying to finish it in one go.
    I really need to start doing this. Stress is one of the only ways that I get schoolwork done and I can feel the toll it's taking. The promise of Fall Break next week might be the only thing holding me together right now.

"I've never seen a child who didn't want to build something out of blocks, or learn something new, or try the next task. And the only reason why adults aren't like that is, I suppose, that they have been sent to school and other oppressive institutions which have driven that out of them."
    -- Noam Chomsky

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The NJs tend to be good in theoretical physics. Not in math.
    The SPs are a lot better in math. Watch their chess play.
    The NPs are beyond the pale. In math.

Bless your P.
    You are the lucky one.
    I've been thinking lately about how I've never been interested in the technical details so much as the theoretical and structural aspects of mathematics. The most elegant discoveries often come as reinterpreting already known truths in more abstract settings (the level of abstraction of these is exchanged for simpler expression). This is aided greatly by having NP. I'd rather learn about connections to other areas or mathematics (the fundamental theorem of algebra, for instance, can be proven in vastly different settings or 'languages' as one might think of them...) than doing routine verification of axioms or proving (which amounts basically to computing) complicated identities given by the instructor on some exam.

-- Noam Chomsky