• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTPs sound intelligent, INTPs sound boring...

braziljoe

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
5w4
Last week I was in a party and there was this entp man discussing theories with everyone (even with those cleary uninterested). Although he was a little boring with his theories sometimes, everyone saw him as the charming life of the party and was paying attention to what he was saying.
I tried to do the same and the best I could get was a "things are the way they are and there is nothing we can do about it".
What is this charm about entps?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I think, in general, they're far better at being able to include a far greater range of people in their discussions, because most of the time their primary focus is sharing the information to generate participation and new ideas, coupled with some tertiary Fe they can make others feel very included.

INTPs tend to share information when they are just trying to illuminate what they know, and reach a greater understanding [for themselves, and that of the group] and place a great deal of importance on conveying the precision/truth of the idea. There's slightly less of a focus on actively engaging the minds of their audience for a new perspective than there is a focus on having everyone understand the idea. They can also fall into highly technical language and get hung up on clarifying certain points that others who aren't genuinely interested in the topic can get a bit turned off.

That's just what I think.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ne before Ti and higher Fe

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, there has to be an advantage being an extravert. We don't like office jobs because we hate sitting down, we get lower grades for the same reason, we're more likely to get in legal trouble - at the very least you need to concede us some advantages in a social setting :D

braziljoe

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
5w4
Well, there has to be an advantage being an extravert. We don't like office jobs because we hate sitting down, we get lower grades for the same reason, we're more likely to get in legal trouble - at the very least you need to concede us some advantages in a social setting :D

But you are an ENTJ, aren't you? I've never seen ENTJs approaching people randomly to inform them the new theory they just read about. The ENTJs I know tend to discuss a subject when it's already being discussed.

Silly_Siren

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
INTP's don't compromise and cater to their audience. Sometimes this makes them the most interesting type to listen to, and sometimes they just lose their audience and get wrapped up in themselves. They are very intellectually self-indulgent. They usually fail to see this and will dismiss their bored audience as stupid. But at least they don't water down their message.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

:laugh:

----

I think for a NT it's important to develop some sense of humor, it will help in conversations. Other alternatives for conversations would be to know the newest chitchat or whats going on in sports and if you are not so intrested in that, humor may be one way to compensate

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
INTP's don't compromise and cater to their audience. Sometimes this makes them the most interesting type to listen to, and sometimes they just lose their audience and get wrapped up in themselves. They are very intellectually self-indulgent. They usually fail to see this and will dismiss their bored audience as stupid. But at least they don't water down their message.
The simple solution to this problem is for the audience to be smarter.

braziljoe

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
5w4
:laugh:

----

I think for a NT it's important to develop some sense of humor, it will help in conversations. Other alternatives for conversations would be to know the newest chitchat or whats going on in sports and if you are not so intrested in that, humor may be one way to compensate

Well, in my case, for example, humor doesn't seem to be a problem. I'm pretty funny and sarcastic (good sarcasm) and can get along rather easy with anyone (me thinks, at least).
I was talking especifically about the knowledge informative nature common to NTPs in a social situation.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Showing some cleavage works too when it comes to keeping a crowd interested.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
What everyone said above, basically. I think INTPs are so wrapped up in themselves, they fail to notice or even care about others. No Fe.

I find that INTPs just talk at you and rarely try to engage you, or even care if you are engaged. When they see my eyes glaze over with boredom, they hardly notice and continue on rambling in detail, interjecting their own monologues to giggle at some random non-sequitor, go back to rambling and then stop to explain the whole history about a phrase they used before getting back to the once-interesting but now tedious topic. And they can really go on *forever* and never really get to the damn point. And get annoyed when you try to make them bring it on home.

I am always acutely aware of how I am being received. If I notice someone glance away for even a second, I speed up the explanation, change the subject or inject something humorous in to draw everyone back in and get everyone commenting and talking back.

Most times when I talk to an INTP, they don't appreciate back and forth banter - when they are on about a subject, they will never let you get a word in edgewise - *never*. The minute I open my mouth to respond after being silent for 15 minutes, I am immediately interrupted and spoken over. This is the only time I see INTPs get assertive and loud. It can be quite annoying.

My lovely, lovely INTP boyfriend often talks me to sleep on the phone, and continues speaking to me for 20-30 mins even though he knows I am fast asleep, bless his heart.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Jesus, the fastest way to get me asleep is to talk to me on the phone...if I don't get up and walk around/pace I'll fall right asleep on the line.

Bless his heart, and his stamina, indeed.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Jesus, the fastest way to get me asleep is to talk to me on the phone...if I don't get up and walk around/pace I'll fall right asleep on the line.

Bless his heart, and his stamina, indeed.

Normally, neither one of us is a phone person, but we actually enjoy speaking to each other so much that the hours fly by. It is what it is...

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
My Dad (intp) does voices. I've actually watched him over time learn public speaking skills. He interjects jokes, does voices, sometimes will dance a jig...but just 10 years ago he was giving a straight lecture.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
All of the extraverted functions are geared toward communication while the introverted ones are not. Additionally Ne is probably the best function to communicate ideas, especially in a casual setting. ENTPs also appear more enthusiastic about their ideas, and enthusiasm is contagious.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Entps are good at metaphores, throwing simili to connect easily understandable concepts with something more abstract, and making handcrafted examples adapted to the audience.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
With me, INTPs seem to withhold information when explaining things as if they are scared their audience will be 'as smart as them'. It's like they don't want their students to become the teacher

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
addition: Where as ENTPs are willing to teach people because they have a passion for their ideas and they want to see them grow

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I find that INTPs just talk at you and rarely try to engage you

For me its because i talk to you without asking and i expect you to do the same if your intrested.

Entps are good at metaphores, throwing simili to connect easily understandable concepts with something more abstract, and making handcrafted examples adapted to the audience.

Intps are good at this too if they got good Ne. Entps naturally have advantage to this.

With me, INTPs seem to withhold information when explaining things as if they are scared their audience will be 'as smart as them'. It's like they don't want their students to become the teacher

Are you sure its not only that they forgot to say everything because they get too involved explaining the details? If you are sure about that, are you sure its what more than one intp does?