• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTPs sound intelligent, INTPs sound boring...

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
In my case, the entp in question would throw out subjects like "the evolutionary origin of women's gossip and their need of it" to gossiping women in the room (which I found totally inappropriate) . The women got shocked by the subjective implication that they were gossiping and felt somewhat offended, but then the entp man would say "oh, when I mean gossip, I mean the strong alertness to the surrounding environment women so strongly have, and It's definitely an advantage over men's focus on a single thing", and the women felt complimented.
And btw, that's more of a humorous thing. The entps I fancy see things from multiple perspectives. So when people feel insulted by something i'd say it's more often than not originated in a bias in the audience's perspective. So i'd simply turn it around in a way that'd scratch their bias in the right way. I'd probably try to debunk their bias next, or go on a tangent about something vaguely related and forget I ever said the first thing.

The term bs generally means that people assume the entp lies or modifies informations when it tends to just be a (perhaps humorous) perspective switch

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I understand the definition, and I defined both terms earlier - so why you are restating what I already stated is beyond me.

I missed that part.

Your response is very typical of what I am trying to illustrate. INTPs tend to talk and tend not to listen to the response.

I listen unless i get the idea that other isnt talking about same thing or isnt talking about the key issue.

My main point is that many times, INTPs will talk and will not *let* you respond by using tactics such as talking over you or interrupting you. If not, they will simply ignore what you have said, lest they get distracted from their point, so it ends up becoming a lecture, not a conversation.

If you talk about something thats irrelevant to key issue you will get interrupted. Because atleast for me, its same as you would start talking about something totally different. You might get interrupted pretty fast because intps tend to figure out the key issue pretty fast.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
If you talk about something thats irrelevant to key issue you will get interrupted. Because atleast for me, its same as you would start talking about something totally different. You might get interrupted pretty fast because intps tend to figure out the key issue pretty fast.

So if you talk about a what i percieve as a hypercube and only see a cube, I'm wrong for indicating an extra dimension ?
And as your perception is 3D, wouldn't I need to use alternative means to uncover that extra strand of intel?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
So if you talk about a what i percieve as a hypercube and only see a cube, I'm wrong for indicating an extra dimension ?
And as your perception is 3D, wouldn't I need to use alternative means to uncover that extra strand of intel?

Too hard english for me to understand :D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think, in general, they're far better at being able to include a far greater range of people in their discussions, because most of the time their primary focus is sharing the information to generate participation and new ideas, coupled with some tertiary Fe they can make others feel very included.

INTPs tend to share information when they are just trying to illuminate what they know, and reach a greater understanding [for themselves, and that of the group] and place a great deal of importance on conveying the precision/truth of the idea. There's slightly less of a focus on actively engaging the minds of their audience for a new perspective than there is a focus on having everyone understand the idea. They can also fall into highly technical language and get hung up on clarifying certain points that others who aren't genuinely interested in the topic can get a bit turned off.

That's just what I think.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Again, the medium does challenge you more, but there's has to be something there to be challenged to begin with. E.g. if I read a book thoroughly then discussed it in a workshop, even though not so verbally as an extrovert, then I would mentally gain more than an extrovert who flipped through it, then caught bits and pieces from the other talkers.

Why does the introvert read and the extrovert skim? That is not a true comparison. A better comparison is two people who read the book and one person ponders it while the other one discusses it.

The women got shocked by the subjective implication that they were gossiping and felt somewhat offended, but then the entp man would say "oh, when I mean gossip, I mean the strong alertness to the surrounding environment women so strongly have, and It's definitely an advantage over men's focus on a single thing", and the women felt complimented.

Ok, I am totally guilty of this. I spin things so as not to offend, or if I *want* to directly offend. And I give back handed compliments.

How will you know if it's relevant unless you give the speaker a chance to say something? Either way, this isn't that big of a deal, we are cut from the same cloth, so I tend to "get" INTPs and I adore them. I was just answering the OP's question with my experience but it's not my intention to slam you guys. I think INTPs are the cat's meow.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
My lovely, lovely INTP boyfriend often talks me to sleep on the phone, and continues speaking to me for 20-30 mins even though he knows I am fast asleep, bless his heart.

ENTP's are so gushy when in love.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
The main problem is that INTPs go on and on long after you have lost complete interest in the topic. I'll admit, sometimes reading the threads in here puts me into a coma. A lot of the times when I read posts by INTPs, my mind just drifts off into space.

I have a friend who I suspect is an INTP, but I do not know her well enough. She's a nice girl, but it's so hard to have a conversation with her. She can talk for twenty minutes straight, regardless if you try to butt in. It's kind of irritating...

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Some ENTPs sound intelligent and some are very intelligent (emphasis on some, because others just seem a little loopy, and not in a good way). Their ability to convey ideas and captivate their audience is unparalleled. The only problem is when the ENTP doesn't have all or even most of the facts on whatever topic they're discussing, and it is readily apparent to those who are familiar with the topic and/or are very perceptive. They just use Ne to BS through holes in their explanations, and use it some more if anyone notices and questions them on it.

Now the INTP may sound very boring, but they usually have every detail worked out entirely and could expound on any minutiae a person could ask them about. So it is information vs. presentation (not that it necessarily has to be, but in those cases where the above applies).

True.

BS meaning they make up something on the spot which one knows isn't actually the facts of the matter, if one is familiar with the topic.

I tend to get caught up in the idea so much that I haven't fact-checked what seems obvious to me. Occasionally, this makes me wrong and embarrassed. I now will often admit after saying something to my girlfriend that, "Oh, I just made that up on the spot." It helps her separate my "theories" from real fact.

In my case, the entp in question would throw out subjects like "the evolutionary origin of women's gossip and their need of it" to gossiping women in the room (which I found totally inappropriate) . The women got shocked by the subjective implication that they were gossiping and felt somewhat offended, but then the entp man would say "oh, when I mean gossip, I mean the strong alertness to the surrounding environment women so strongly have, and It's definitely an advantage over men's focus on a single thing", and the women felt complimented.

Yeah. You can get away with a lot by smiling and appearing warm and complimentary. I like to see how far I can insult someone without them getting angry. It's like mental jujitsu. Of course, I don't aim to harm. I just want to see by what criteria they decide to get upset.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This thread sounds intelligent but in actuality IS boring. My proof resides in about 50% of the posts

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
ENTP's are so gushy when in love.

:cheese:

Yeah. You can get away with a lot by smiling and appearing warm and complimentary. I like to see how far I can insult someone without them getting angry. It's like mental jujitsu. Of course, I don't aim to harm. I just want to see by what criteria they decide to get upset.

Yeah, I'm pretty fucked up that way, too.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
How will you know if it's relevant unless you give the speaker a chance to say something? Either way, this isn't that big of a deal, we are cut from the same cloth, so I tend to "get" INTPs and I adore them. I was just answering the OP's question with my experience but it's not my intention to slam you guys. I think INTPs are the cat's meow.

I give chance for others to say something. The second i hear others talking something out of the key issue, i correct them by talking about the key issue. Usually by saying why other is talking about something unimportant and telling whats the key issue, since they most likely didnt get what it is, because they wouldnt be talking about something else. I dunno how your intp does and are you basing these "facts" abount intps by one or two intps maybe? Imo not letting others talk at all isnt a intp thing.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I give chance for others to say something. The second i hear others talking something out of the key issue, i correct them by talking about the key issue. Usually by saying why other is talking about something unimportant and telling whats the key issue, since they most likely didnt get what it is, because they wouldnt be talking about something else. I dunno how your intp does and are you basing these "facts" abount intps by one or two intps maybe? Imo not letting others talk at all isnt a intp thing.

Proof that INTP's care more about being right than being good company. ENTP's aim to entertain and evangelize and please, which are all essentially social aims.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Proof that INTP's care more about being right than being good company. ENTP's aim to entertain and evangelize and please, which are all essentially social aims.

I care about finding the truth. If someone can prove me wrong, im happy for that. Usually they cant because i got things pretty much figured out if im trying to share the thing that i think is the truth.

If im talking to someone whos not t or not intrested about talking t things, i use Ne to entertain not sharing my Ti.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

You must be under the impression that the only thing valid to speak about is what you want to speak about. Conversations can change and flow.

I guess that many listeners would also deem your topic unimportant and/or tedious.

I am basing this on a sample size of 7-10 INTPs that I know, and 4 that I suspect are INTPs.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, there has to be an advantage being an extravert. We don't like office jobs because we hate sitting down, we get lower grades for the same reason, we're more likely to get in legal trouble - at the very least you need to concede us some advantages in a social setting :D

Wow ... this makes me feel a little better about being an introvert. Prior to this, I thought there were no introvert advantages ;)

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
That is because ENTPs are sexy and desirable, whereas INTPs aren't. Undesirable people are often considered boring.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hahaha, that's only if they can answer the question without stammering and getting flustered. :D

I can't :(. But I admit that, as a teacher who has to run purely discussion based classes, it was a very steep hill to climb to learn to actually listen and integrate the comments of others into the discussion I had planned in my mind. In fact, I'm still working on it. Before I got into MBTI, I used to call it a sort of "rigidity" because it was hard for me to deal with the natural flow of conversations into different directions...God forbid we foray into territory I don't know.