half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by kathara View Post
    I would not qualify I/E as types. Nonetheless, if we define intelligence in the classical sense, it is more likely that someone who is turned towards her/himself is more intelligent that someone who is consuming energy and time talking to others.
    You should re-read the definitions for extroversion and introversion, as it relates to MBTI. Extroverted intuition in particular has nothing to do with talking.

According to the way you are presenting this, I find it hard to believe that someone locked in a room with no external stimuli (e.g. books, conversation, etc...) would end up with more knowledge than one who constantly absorbs from the environment.

The preferred order of functions has no bearing on intelligence.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

^ Charming smile! Must be a hit with the ladies.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    I don't understand... You walk up to someone and start talking? Either way, conversations happen between 2 or more people - lectures are what I get from INTPs, not conversations.
    I wonder how you can start a conversation unless you talk to someone.. Lecture is what you get, if you dont talk back. If you talk back you get a conversation.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

You should re-read the definitions for extroversion and introversion, as it relates to MBTI. Extroverted intuition in particular has nothing to do with talking.

According to the way you are presenting this, I find it hard to believe that someone locked in a room with no external stimuli (e.g. books, conversation, etc...) would end up with more knowledge than one who constantly absorbs from the environment.

The preferred order of functions has no bearing on intelligence.
    Yes, and no. No one said an introvert never interacts with people, or that an extrovert does not take the time off to think things through by himself. Merely stated that if we are to take the same person with the same potential, and compare an introverted version to an extroverted one, then the former will be more intelligent in the academic sense.

All the introverts that I know have told me something like if I study for more than an hour I go insane and have to go out and see people.

Again, the medium does challenge you more, but there's has to be something there to be challenged to begin with. E.g. if I read a book thoroughly then discussed it in a workshop, even though not so verbally as an extrovert, then I would mentally gain more than an extrovert who flipped through it, then caught bits and pieces from the other talkers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    mh. Any example in mind ?
    I have many from various science lectures, meetings, etc that I've been forced to or chose to participate in. But I'll use one of my ENTP friends as an example, since it would take longer to explain the others.

One of the very first times I began to notice this particular brand of BSing: This ENTP and I were in a group, discussing music and we came to the topic of one producer. He was very enthusiastic about the producer, but everyone else didn't think so highly of the producer. So in order to get them revved up, he begins talking about all the songs the particular producer produced, except half of them (unbeknownst to most people), the producer really hadn't took any part in. One of the people in the group asks him about a song that she was familiar with and knew that the producer wasn't involved with. The ENTP responds "He did co-produce most of that album, they just didn't include him in the credits. Didn't ___ sound just like ___? Because he produced it. [add in more 'sounds like facts' non-facts here]" Everyone went "Ahhh, okay." While the woman and I looked at each other like "Sure."

I have many more examples if that one wasn't sufficient. But I think that should give you the general idea which is that the ENTP will use their natural glibness and inventiveness to cover up that they don't actually know entirely what they're discussing.

Hahaha, that's only if they can answer the question without stammering and getting flustered.
    Lol, that's also a possibility. But I think with more oblivious or mature INTPs, this happens less, if at all. They'll just keep droning on...

Quote Originally Posted by kathara View Post
    Anyone making a claim without backing it up with proper arguments is an idiot.
    Don't be so hard on yourself.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I wonder how you can start a conversation unless you talk to someone.. Lecture is what you get, if you dont talk back. If you talk back you get a conversation.
    I understand the definition, and I defined both terms earlier - so why you are restating what I already stated is beyond me.

Your response is very typical of what I am trying to illustrate. INTPs tend to talk and tend not to listen to the response.

My main point is that many times, INTPs will talk and will not *let* you respond by using tactics such as talking over you or interrupting you. If not, they will simply ignore what you have said, lest they get distracted from their point, so it ends up becoming a lecture, not a conversation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Don't be so hard on yourself.
    Again, same pitiful tactics. People without anything to say should be queit.

(yes, be predictable!)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    I have many more examples if that one wasn't sufficient. But I think that should give you the general idea which is that the ENTP will use their natural glibness and inventiveness to cover up that they don't actually know entirely what they're discussing.
    Okey. But I tend to think alot of entps would learn to admit what they don't know after a while. I mean, how else could we learn. Also admitting when I don't know something is in my case a great way to show that I'm not some scary enclycopedia figure.

I find it sort of odd that the guy would defend something he likes in this shaky way as there's always a rational one could find to defend pretty much everything, except if he underestimated his listeners maybe or was being playful. But hey, I really need some sleep at the moment so I might not be the shapest conversationalist ever at the moment.

ps: my bad for multiple edits, i ..need..bed
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj