User Tag List

First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 177

  1. #151
    Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,810

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    There s nothing wrong with the general population by the way but if you keep using words like sempiternal, obtuse, chimerical, discrete, subjugated, abscond, vivacious etc at age 14 you re not exactly going to be hitting all the ''you re part of our group'' triggers in your average peer bonding clique.
    That's very true.

    There is a fine line between being an intellectual dilettante and being an intellectual blowhard.

    By actually contructing this sentence I have accidentally put myself into the latter catagory... but who cares? It was worth the risk.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    - people intelligent enough relatively to their own enivornment to have a lot of thoughts that many others around them can't seem to relate too - they will often feel lonely, isolated, and forn an elitistic view of their own intelligence.

    - people intelligent enough relatively to their own environment to not only think thoughts others have a hard time relating too but actually figure out ways to express those thoughts in a way that others will find a way to relate too, and have learned the humility that others - no matter how seemingly intelligent or unintelligent they may be - can have something insightful to say, can inspire them or give them the mental connection they have being missing.
    Im actually at the point where im nearly past the first stage above and im moving into the second one.....or at least I believe I am which could mean that I am not.

    But I definitely relate to this sentence:
    and have learned the humility that others - no matter how seemingly intelligent or unintelligent they may be - can have something insightful to say, can inspire them or give them the mental connection they have being missing.
    That's extremely important in life, or at least it is to me and im glad you mentioned it. Ive never understood the hatred some have for 'menial tasks' as some jobs are viewed, alongside the judgements made against those who do them based upon a pre-concieved notion of what constitutes intelligence. But I find those who do this are usually those whose powers of perception go about as deep as a toddlers paddling pool, they see intelligence as being something tangible and tied to success, whereas my view is that nothing could be further from the truth.

    Having worked in a variety of said jobs I long ago learned about the ridiculous variations within humanity, not to mention the value and difficulty of such jobs.

    Of course it helped that I was raised in an environment that encouraged this way of thinking in any case.

  2. #152
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    What I find mysterious is why people with good communication skills are usually regarded as less intelligent. The problem with speaking openly is that the words in your head always sound better than the words that you say. And then its the audience itself that starts to give the conversation a certain dynamic, trend or note which it will then start to shift to. That most often results in a lack of quality. It's easier sitting in the back and saying nothing, proclaiming one is the most intelligent person than just speaking to one person.

    I am working in politics. I have a pretty huge experience already with speaking to a very wide variety of people, coming from the most different ressorts. It is simple hell and an impossible job at times. You cant just stubbornly follow your plan and ignore everyone, but you cant listen to everyone as well, because that will ruin all of the quality your plan ever had. Coming to terms with people, debating or getting your goals thrugh is a deep pain in the ass, even Vlad the impaler couldnt produce.

    To me, a person who thinks someone, because he is talkative, has therefore logically reduced quality or intelligence in his content, has never tried speaking openly themselves or never must. one board of trustees session and you think completly differently about that. And furthermore, people who think that every person is exactly like he or she really is when speaking openly, has a lot of life experience to catch up to.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  3. #153
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What I find mysterious is why people with good communication skills are usually regarded as less intelligent.
    Because it's considered a feminine characteristic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  4. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I think, in general, they're far better at being able to include a far greater range of people in their discussions, because most of the time their primary focus is sharing the information to generate participation and new ideas, coupled with some tertiary Fe they can make others feel very included.
    This. By many accounts, and including my own perspective from reading on his life, Benjamin Franklin seems like he was an ENTP, and he was as comfortable and charismatic in front of royalty as he was in a tavern with the common people. It is not often that you find someone who is as facile with both types of audience. He was doing exactly as described - generate participation and new ideas and making everyone feel included.

    I don't think they come off as more intelligent, though. I think that's a mis-characterization. I think they come off as more engaging to most people. But on a personal level I find INTPs more engaging because they are more intense and that is more interesting to me.

  5. #155
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    Because it's considered a feminine characteristic.
    Talking much with a lot of tangents which are irrelevant to the main topic maybe is stereotypically considered feminine. But someone who gets what he wants thru communication, I dunno why he or she would be regarded as less intelligent. Thats just people being envious.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #156
    Society
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    That's extremely important in life, or at least it is to me and im glad you mentioned it. Ive never understood the hatred some have for 'menial tasks' as some jobs are viewed, alongside the judgements made against those who do them based upon a pre-concieved notion of what constitutes intelligence. But I find those who do this are usually those whose powers of perception go about as deep as a toddlers paddling pool, they see intelligence as being something tangible and tied to success, whereas my view is that nothing could be further from the truth.
    people will use anything to represent their intelligence: economical sucess, reading the right books, listening to the right music, dressing in the right clothes and having the right eyesight problems. apearing intelligent is easy enough that you don't actually need to be intelligent, and if you can convince yourself that you are, then you can use it as the last resort of esteem because it isn't tengible, and a lot of people use it in this very manner.

    interestingly, the opposite is also true: i remmeber growing up, a kid from my home town had very low esteem on his intelligence, people would actually think he was retarded, as a kid he would repeat the slogan his parents taught him - "i'm not smart but i'm healthy" - i felt sorry for the guy sometimes. then they found out he just had a very very extreme case of ADD, he started taking ritalin and he amazed everyone - turned out to be a freaking math genuis, in physics class the guy placed the rest of our problem solving abilities to shame, and then the army placed him in the IDFs elite computer unit... i havent heard of him since, but the boy has skills.

  7. #157

    Default

    I'm good with crowds, but my INTP friend is even better. Dealing with people is a skill that can be developed.
    Call me Visa, please!
    visakanv.com
    visaisahero.tumblr.com

  8. #158
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    What I find mysterious is why people with good communication skills are usually regarded as less intelligent. The problem with speaking openly is that the words in your head always sound better than the words that you say. And then its the audience itself that starts to give the conversation a certain dynamic, trend or note which it will then start to shift to. That most often results in a lack of quality. It's easier sitting in the back and saying nothing, proclaiming one is the most intelligent person than just speaking to one person.

    I am working in politics. I have a pretty huge experience already with speaking to a very wide variety of people, coming from the most different ressorts. It is simple hell and an impossible job at times. You cant just stubbornly follow your plan and ignore everyone, but you cant listen to everyone as well, because that will ruin all of the quality your plan ever had. Coming to terms with people, debating or getting your goals thrugh is a deep pain in the ass, even Vlad the impaler couldnt produce.

    To me, a person who thinks someone, because he is talkative, has therefore logically reduced quality or intelligence in his content, has never tried speaking openly themselves or never must. one board of trustees session and you think completly differently about that. And furthermore, people who think that every person is exactly like he or she really is when speaking openly, has a lot of life experience to catch up to.
    Do you ever write for yourself?
    Did you read what you wrote?
    LIFE is the expression of SELF within and as Oneness and Equality

  9. #159
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    DNA
    Socionics
    so
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Unfortunately, when you want to succeed in life, you'll need to develop patience with your much lesser intelligent peers. or one day they'll come and run a pale up your ass and leave you in the sun drieing like Vlad the impaler.
    Am I wrong or... you always speak about what you exemplarily experience?
    LIFE is the expression of SELF within and as Oneness and Equality

  10. #160
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RicPTmc View Post
    Do you ever write for yourself?
    Did you read what you wrote?
    Yea a very long time ago I wrote myself, but then I started drugs and after that my creativity was gone somehow. Since that I never really recuperated and never started writing again.

    Quote Originally Posted by RicPTmc View Post
    Am I wrong or... you always speak about what you exemplarily experience?
    What else can you speak about ? Everything else is just speculation.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Similar Threads

  1. [ENTP] What 2 ENTPs arguing with each other sounds like
    By PepCMaximus in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-12-2016, 11:39 PM
  2. [Other] INTP vs. ENTP - Interpersonal Intelligence
    By MadTeaParty in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-22-2015, 12:59 AM
  3. [NT] ENTP's and INTP's
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 158
    Last Post: 01-04-2015, 12:09 PM
  4. ENTP instead of INTP? Come hither ENTPs!
    By Redbone in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-01-2010, 09:44 PM
  5. [NT] What do ENTPs think of INTPs
    By Robopop in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 09-07-2010, 03:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO