• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Lazy INTJ

intuitivethinker

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1/5
INT**************J********************* for a reason. Sometimes you need to make a quick decision based on all the available information.

Well, not really. You can break out of these negative cycles by taking some time and care (oh crikey, I'm growing...)

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJs aren't any more lazy than the other types - from what I see. ENTPs are far lazier in the true sense of the word.

I have times when I am completely lethargic, but that is because I spend much time in my own head, weighing the different options and refining my mental framework, which can greatly impact performance. This lethargy seems to be similar to the one described by the others on this thread. I focus so far into the future at times that my present situation slowly deteriorates, at which time I have to compose myself and continue along more narrow lines. It can develop into a bad habit if not controlled, and procrastination becomes a blight after initiative kicks in but no options are left. The listless state is along the lines of Sherlock Holmes; this is the best way I can describe it, except that it isn't nowhere near that extreme. If I don't have something to work towards, and see no means of getting there anytime reasonable, I begin to retreat into my own imagination.

If INTJs are ever "lazy," I believe it's because their own inner standards are more important to them than traditional measurements of "success." If one is highly introverted, it is far more difficult to act proactively in the "real" world; I can easily see how many INTJs (including myself) would turn to less 'energetic' forms of interaction, such as internet forums or chat rooms.

Lastly, I don't believe that INTJs are "underachievers," because it's contradicted by observing the real world. INTJs are definitely overrepresented in the executive world, scientific world, political world, and even the arts. It seems to me that although some INTJs are simply lazy, when INTJs does do apply themselves they reach high places.

kafkacat

Enneagram
inxj
That describes me completely, odd how all intj's have really just one voice, the intj voice, or so it seems to me.

Skyline

I'm lazy, I can get lost in Ni for days and not do anything productive at all. I need reality to kick me into doing stuff on a daily basis, otherwise, I just float off. I also procrastinate like smileyman.

Same here.
It causes me to delve into other activities (which I enjoy) and neglect the things I'd better finish off where there's a deadline involved (which equates to neglecting other things I might enjoy doing, basically by just putting them off :/).
I suppose this is a form of laziness. Or inertia. :D Or distraction. Whatever.
Motivation or a "kick in the balls" to finish these things off and just continue my thing = surely needed.
(I love being woken up; 'shooken up' every once in a while by such random kicks and realizations, it makes me wake up and be productive and happy again :p Another thing which gives me this lightened up feeling is little challenges. Challenges over the lon run are harder due to that same "distraction" yet distraction is kind of a wrong term.)

I wouldn't call myself a lazy person though, I can be pretty motivated and focused, but I easily distract myself from daily needs and what not. In that sense, I find underachiever to be a more correct term.

I also don't see the things I do as wasting time as to me they are relevant.
Often I'll actually finish quick jobs in order to continue what I want to do. But certain projects require more attention.

I agree that if I would actively apply myself more spontaniously to things without too much worry and wander, I would become less of an underachiever.
I simply wander too much, it's a weird habit but I try to fill in the voids by doing useful stuff.

Heck I'm a J/P cuspie though so I can easily fall into the P-zone category as well. I actually often do. :D

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
INTJs aren't any more lazy than the other types - from what I see. ENTPs are far lazier in the true sense of the word.

Hei! I resemble that remark!

Actually I consider myself a lethargic perfectionist with a drive for efficiency XD

Being efficient takes alot of time and effort, but once yeu have efficiency down, yeu don't have to waste time on redoing it. Do something the right way ONCE and yeu're able to relax past that point.

Screw it up and yeu'll be stuck doing it repeatedly. Which's a waste of time and effort.

I've heard a few others with similar views, though I'm not sure if it's a global mindset for ENTP's. We tend to seem to be far more interested in doing things we enjoy, and one of the things we enjoy is finding new ways to do things, especially new ways to do things so that it's more efficient. Which naturally provides us more time to do other things.

I don't think yeu can really call that being "truly lazy" though, so much as just being quite pragmatic about the matter.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hei! I resemble that remark!

I'll ditto that too, I consider myself lazy because I seek always to find a more efficent way to do things... collegues however think I'm super active and incapable to stopping - to the point that some of them thought I couldn't spend 10 days on a beach holiday, in absolute fairness they may be right, after 6 I got board... :)

Kat - good to see you hon ;)

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I'll ditto that too, I consider myself lazy because I seek always to find a more efficent way to do things... collegues however think I'm super active and incapable to stopping - to the point that some of them thought I couldn't spend 10 days on a beach holiday, in absolute fairness they may be right, after 6 I got board... :)

Kat - good to see you hon ;)

are you saying you'd go surfing..?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
are you saying you'd go surfing..?

never tried, doubt I've got the physical strength, not the strongest swimmer to be honest. But I would do boat trips (was in tHailand, so Long tails are really cool fun to bomb around in). ....:)

I get board of sand and stuff, long for green.... I got to the beach in the UK, which also has cliff walks and woodland near it, wich is totally perfect for me, because my attention span loves the variety....

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
I've met undisciplined ones. I do agree that for some INTJs, their intuitiveness and knack for efficiency affords them the luxury of not having to do much unless they're met with a big challenge, and they can grow a bit spoiled and used to lots of time to do whatever they like. I think it also makes them easily discouraged from doing work that's hard for them that they're not naturally good at (read: relationships).

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Mine admits to being efficient for the sheer purpose of laziness. If you're good at what you do and do it right, then you can prevent ever having to do it again, which means you get more time to be lazy, is his motto.

I have this mentality as well. In fact, I say it a lot at work.

I'm lazy, I can get lost in Ni for days and not do anything productive at all. I need reality to kick me into doing stuff on a daily basis, otherwise, I just float off. I also procrastinate like smileyman.

'Float off' is a good term for it. If thereis no anchor... no reason to stay in the moment lol... man I can't describe it accurately but its amusing to me. Probably a bit aggravating to people around me and friends who don't hear from me... but they know I'll re-surface eventually.

Meta and I both admitted to doing a half-assed job in a lot of our studies for courses we disliked and didn't need to get a great grade out of.

I work in surges. Sometimes I'm uber-J and then for two weeks I do nothing and am lazy. I'm trying to figure out how to be consistent with my self-discipline.

Self Discipline is not something I think I have much of. I deal with the 'urgent' things that have to be done in order to 'survive' (Pay bills, sleep, eat, meet work deadlines...) but other than that I don't really have a sense of personal urgency about much at all. When something does strike my fancy and I become interested in it I'll have a ball doing all kinds of thinking about it, researching it, discussing it with people... but when something else comes along that seems more interesting the new hobby goes by the wayside. I know how to do a lot of things but I'm not very good at most of them :cheese:

You'll never find an INTJ that admits any weakness.

I actually have a weakness for German Chocolate Cake. And hot men.

I KNOW I'm as competent as I think I am. The trophies, money, concubines, and power say so.

:woot:

:nice: Can I come over some time and hang out?

I've met undisciplined ones. I do agree that for some INTJs, their intuitiveness and knack for efficiency affords them the luxury of not having to do much unless they're met with a big challenge, and they can grow a bit spoiled and used to lots of time to do whatever they like. I think it also makes them easily discouraged from doing work that's hard for them that they're not naturally good at (read: relationships).

So... the better we are at things and the more competent we become... the less likely we are to tackle big problems. Interesting. Something about it rings true in a perverse kind of way.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
I need a goal to be productive as well as the want to do the task. Without these two criterias, i tend to do the minimum to finish the job. Its not a bad job, its just not as great if I had been working on something I'm interested at.

I will admit, i'm lazy to a fault. I can get lost in my thought about concepts without having the need to do anything else. Procrastination is also an enemy that I been fighting for ages and I feel that it's not getting easier fighting with it.

Skyline

That's exactly me.

However, the work that's hard for me usually simply involves executing constant discipline - I usually waver, and find myself giving up very easily or getting absorbed in other preoccupations :/

I wouldn't only project this onto relationships, this has happened to me for school as well and I've actually been busy trying to figure out relationships a lot during my teen years, sometimes to the point of QQ'ing.
Currently I'm doing well in that area and I'm figuring out the rest as I'm on a quest across the horizon. XD

S

Sniffles

As a fellow Ni-dom, I can relate to alot here. Well except for the whole "efficient laziness" part - that's certainly the INTJ domain.

d4mselfly

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Efficient laziness. Yes. I find that results vs. effort seems to follow a logarithmic curve. It's just a matter of finding the sweet spot where I'm satisfied enough with the expected results to not be motivated to put any more effort in because it won't have a significant positive effect. Then I can go do something else with that time I've just saved.

Skyline

Efficient laziness. Yes. I find that results vs. effort seems to follow a logarithmic curve. It's just a matter of finding the sweet spot where I'm satisfied enough with the expected results to not be motivated to put any more effort in because it won't have a significant positive effect. Then I can go do something else with that time I've just saved.

(I feel ya.)

To the expense of potential future endeavors - hopefully not.