• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Intj who isnt nerd

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I am interested in maintaining a good GPA so I can get into college with scholarship money. That's what being a nerd is? Being self-interested?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
nah, I think especially in America your grades are important, especially if school costs that much money.

My grades range from A's to D's, but I admire people with constant dedication

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Well, there's this one I know and he's like the best at everything, he's in my grade.

He's not an ENTJ, but he's really popular. He does sports, music, and is number 1 in our class as far as GPA.

But he's arrogant and pompous. I know he's an INTJ because he never ever talks about himself and is not bossy or loud or self centered.

I wouldn't say he's a nerd. He is, to a degree because he kind of has a rep. as being this genius god that everyone worships, but he is popular and he goes to a lot of parties and he has a ton of friends.

2XtremeENFP

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
3w4
Oki. But what are you like if your not nerd and still intj? I mean only thing i see in intj is a big nerd and not much more..

I think when you say NERD you may mean GEEK.

Nerd = Straight A student, teased, hardly has friends
GEEK = socially inept, doesn't fit in, made fun of, but has a clique of friends where they have lots of 'geeky' things in common.

What do you think?

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
nah, I think especially in America your grades are important, especially if school costs that much money.

I don't understand the stigma of getting good grades when good grades are good money in a very real sense.

Good grades in high school = $$ to go to a respectable college/uni

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I don't understand the stigma of getting good grades when good grades are good money in a very real sense.

Good grades in high school = $$ to go to a respectable college/uni

Nah its ok, as a B student :)D) I myself have sometimes been confronted with being seen as a nerd in that regards, but some very stupid comment of mine then saved my ass :D.

I am personally a big fan of personal freedom and alone the thought of having to learn for an exam I find limiting. It will not change, in my job I have to do things aswell, I find do limit my personal freedom. Therefore I am more of a political social guy in that direction, I find any means of comparison limiting.

On the other hand tho, I find it appealing to be very good in exams, cause it as you said helps you later on in life + I like the challenge and I am very perfectionistic and I like to figure out how a system works and therefore am inclined to learn in very detail for exames, can really get phlegmatic.

This attitude just is very influenced by motivation and tho I have become quite good at motivating myself, as a kid I hadnt had that ability yet :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's being a bit stereotypical although I know what you mean. It would all depend on how you define 'nerd'. I've had nerd been told to me by an A student as I can have a lot of knowledge in many different subjects but usually has nothing to do with my academics. I would call him a nerd because he is an A student. I have no interest in being good at my academics because it feels like I'm forced by someone stupid to learn what they want me to. I just learn what will help me in the future.

I define nerd like this:

wikipedia said:
The stereotypical nerd is intelligent but socially and physically awkward. They typically appear either to lack confidence or to be indifferent or oblivious to the negative perceptions held of them by others, with the result that they become frequent objects of scorn, ridicule, bullying, and social isolation. Some nerds show a pronounced interest in subjects which others tend to find dull or complex and difficult to comprehend, or overly mature for their age, especially topics related to science, mathematics and technology. On the opposite end of the spectrum, nerds may show an interest in activities that are viewed by their peers as immature for their age, such as trading cards, comic books, television programs, movies, role-playing games, video games and other things relating to fantasy and science fiction. Nerds are also sometimes portrayed as having symptoms of obsessive-compulsive disorder such as by showing extreme interest in rules.

I am interested in maintaining a good GPA so I can get into college with scholarship money. That's what being a nerd is? Being self-interested?

Being self-intrested isnt the same thing as being intrested of getting education that gives good money on the future. Some people move to woods, build theyr own houses and gather/hunt/grow theyr own food because theyr self-intrested.

Liminality

MBTI Type
ISFx
Enneagram
6w7
I'm applying to MIT so I can get a liberal arts degree.

Maybe I am nerdy, I'm just also insane.

you FORGOT there were INTJ girls too.

NERD.

INTJ girls = :wubbie:, if a little anal about organising when we do things.

I think when you say NERD you may mean GEEK.

Nerd = Straight A student, teased, hardly has friends
GEEK = socially inept, doesn't fit in, made fun of, but has a clique of friends where they have lots of 'geeky' things in common.

What do you think?

Geek - having an...unusually strong passion for something, so much so you learn everything there is to know about it, hoard a collection etc.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Sounds like 90% of the people who work in my university :D

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@INTP: Nice...

@The Decline: Yea... ok (even though I think I'm not a nerd)

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In high school the "cool kids" as you put it were neutral towards me. I didn't bother them and they didn't bother me. Although I personally had deep disrespect towards them and pitied them for their 'shallow minds'. They falsely put themselves higher than others when they obviously don't deserve it. It would be nice if someone were to put them in their proper place.

I did this to someone in grade 8, half way through the year he disappeared.

Well, there's this one I know and he's like the best at everything, he's in my grade.

He's not an ENTJ, but he's really popular. He does sports, music, and is number 1 in our class as far as GPA.

But he's arrogant and pompous. I know he's an INTJ because he never ever talks about himself and is not bossy or loud or self centered.

I wouldn't say he's a nerd. He is, to a degree because he kind of has a rep. as being this genius god that everyone worships, but he is popular and he goes to a lot of parties and he has a ton of friends.

This sounds like what happened to me in my grade 7 year - except for the sports.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
Hang on - why are we excluding girls from this conversation?

I'm an INTJ, a girl, and probably a nerd/geek (depending on the very flexible definition of those words).

That may not be helping the cause, but...I'm pretty sure there are non-geeky and non-nerdy INTJs.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I don't think I have ever been a nerd or a geek. Well, aside from being an IT person and romantic/relationship challenged for most of my life and I'm kind of anal/OCD about some thing. I don't love math. I don't even like math. When I took math classes I use to say...I foresee a lot of raging tears in the near future, (fortunately I have a physics/math major ENFJ and he's an outstanding teacher). I love sports and I care a great deal about how I look.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Being self-intrested isnt the same thing as being intrested of getting education that gives good money on the future. Some people move to woods, build theyr own houses and gather/hunt/grow theyr own food because theyr self-intrested.

It is being self-interested. Why can't there be more than one form of being self-interested? Why must you boil down all self-interest to the lowest common denominator so that anybody who's self-interested in a different way is a NUUUURD HURHURHUR because ALL INTJS MUST BE NERDS?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
It is being self-interested. Why can't there be more than one form of being self-interested? Why must you boil down all self-interest to the lowest common denominator so that anybody who's self-interested in a different way is a NUUUURD HURHURHUR because ALL INTJS MUST BE NERDS?

You didnt get my point really. I told that there is allso other forms of being self-intrested than studuying. When there is other forms of being self-intrestrested, you cant use that as argument for studuying. The way you are self-intrested reflects your true self, and when you choose university as form of being self-intrested you are intrested about learning nerdy stuff, instead for example living as a hippie in some community in the woods. University and what you get yout of it makes you happy, thats why you choose it as form of self-intrest.

That last sentence of yours i dont understand.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Contrary to all the posts, I'm guessing not.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You didnt get my point really. I told that there is allso other forms of being self-intrested than studuying. When there is other forms of being self-intrestrested, you cant use that as argument for studuying. The way you are self-intrested reflects your true self, and when you choose university as form of being self-intrested you are intrested about learning nerdy stuff, instead for example living as a hippie in some community in the woods. University and what you get yout of it makes you happy, thats why you choose it as form of self-intrest.

That last sentence of yours i dont understand.

But that would be like saying some who is intrested in football is an idiot or in a next step: a physics professor cant be religious.

I dont think its that easy with stereotypes.

I think I do understand what you are trieing to do here, but let those nerds find out for themselves. Only thing that counts in the end is that they are happy with what they do.

Usehername

On a mission
I played varsity sports, am socially skilled and play the guitar. I build bikes in my spare time and work at a cycle/ski shop. I have learned how to dress myself quite adequately.

I also was a band geek (just for the tours! we got to go across North America), took third year chemistry for fun, and am hopefully going to live in academia if all goes to plan.