• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP and Genetic Disorders

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
No. The whole eugenics thing is one of my major problems with some of the autism/aspie 'advocacy' groups. And certainly not all INTPs are aspies any more than all aspies are INTPs. My sons are not aspies (they are high functioning autistics, but were speech delayed) but one of them tests EXTJ, so if we are going to commit genocide, we need to include ENTJs, as well.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Aspergers = tiny proportion of people
INTP = tiny proportion of people...

You need to find an awful lot of INTP's in your aspergers sample = which would need to be pretty huge...

You'd expect 100 INTP's in a sample of 1000 people with aspergers... Double quantities of INTP would = 200 you may get away with it...

These things are normally worded in such a way as to cloud the facts....

MBTI is about preference and Autisim/aspergers are likely to not like F situations, but I don't see the S/N tenancy

I reckon, that as aspergers is a social disorder, it's an 'I' thing as well. After all, it's contradictory if someone likes to be by himself and is an extrovert.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
I wholeheartedly agree! I am totally with you on this. In fact, I will help you address this matter right now.

A quick search on Google gave me a few sites. I refrained from using the ever-discredited Wikipedia because anyone who disagrees with statements from their site will dismiss it as unmediated garbage.

Luckily, WebMD and Mayo Clinic are two sites that seem to have considerable plausibility with regard to medical information. They also have descriptions on Asperger's Syndrome.

From WebMD
From Mayo Clinic

And here's one from a site dedicated entirely to asperger's syndrome.

I didn't quite find anything that may suggest that those with asperger's syndrome spell things in ridiculous ways or that only those with the disorder are capable of committing a spelling error. Nothing on putting eggs on their faces either, unless you count doing so to avoid eye contact. If you have found something with more clout than these top three googled sites on the symptoms of asperger's providing evidence of your claim, let me know. Until then, I'm going to actually believe the opposite is true, as it is mentioned that those diagnosed with the syndrome tend to have very highly developed language skills and pick up difficult vocabulary earlier than other children.

I'm also going to assume that you were not serious and just wanted to jab at the OP with an attack on intellectual integrity. Just helping you out. And thanks, without your post, I would not have bothered to do a quick google search and learn what the syndrome was all about, and now I'll learn more about how it differentiates from autism, something I know also tends to be poorly understood by many people.

They may have highly developed language skills, but that doesn't say whether or not they may exhibit the behavior I described. Spelling and typing requires different mental processes in different areas of the brain than does speaking and pure language recognition/comprehension. I have interacted with people who have aspergers, and can tell you first hand that the spelling thing IS indeed an issue, at least with the ones I've seen. As with many psychological disorders, you may often function quite normally or above average in one area, while having serious quirks in other closely related functions.

I also know for a fact that they can exhibit obsessive behaviors, something I have been a victim of in the past.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I reckon, that as aspergers is a social disorder, it's an 'I' thing as well. After all, it's contradictory if someone likes to be by himself and is an extrovert.

S/he could just like to masturbate in a crowded room. v:Dv

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

I think aspergers is bigger than just a social dissorder... obviously there is different severities and different secondary dissabilities associated with it...

The I thing bothers me with MBTI, I is defined

"The terms extravert and introvert are used in a special sense when discussing the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. People who prefer extraversion draw energy from action: they tend to act, then reflect, then act further. If they are inactive, their level of energy and motivation tends to decline. Conversely, those who prefer introversion become less energized as they act: they prefer to reflect, then act, then reflect again. People who prefer introversion need time out to reflect in order to rebuild energy." Wiki MBTI definitions...

So actually the I has nothing what so ever to do with socalising. It's where they do their thinking out loud or in their heads....

I'm an E - very strong E (I'm a total do-er).... but i'm not really an extrovert in the venacular sense of the word/non MBTI meaning....

I think both defintions of I have some over lap, but by no means do they = each other...

Does that make sense....?

Looking at psyciatric conditions as a list of symptoms without training is a dangerous terratory because the non professional doens't know what the range of normal can streach too... you can be more pronounced but still within a normal range... Sorry I know it's my fave soap box subject around here.....

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
In evolution nothing has to be a disorder.

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
I have family members who display several traits common in those with Aspergers...
I wouldn't call it a disease... It's not very well-defined at the moment. The criteria in the DSM-IV changed, and now statistics are up to one in 150. There is no known organic cause.
The INTP-Aspergers thing is assuming that all people with Aspergers are poorly adjusted.
Some manage to "get along" in society by mimicking people all their lives. These people are skilled at impressions, able to do the exact walk, voice, and mannerisms of people they know. I wish I could remember the name of the book I read this in.

Anyway, why would we want to kill all the aspies?
Emily Dickinson, Albert Einstein, Andy Warhol, Thomas Jefferson, Faris Badwan, Charles Darwin, Marie Curie, Alfred Kinsey, George Orwell and Patricia Highsmith all supposedly had(or have, in the case of the one living peron on this list) it. Take that, NTs (and by NTs I mean neurotypical).

There was originally a point to this post but it got lost in the shuffle, so here.
Have a fact list.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
After recently studying biology, genetics, and Mendelian traits, I think I may have found a correlation between Asbergers and the INTP temperament.
Does it not make sense that if we wish to stop the epidemic of this tragic disease we should destroy all known INTPs in mass genocide?

"Tragic disease"? :doh:

Please be kidding at least about that part....

I contend that Thatgirl has ASPERGERS and is simply projecting upon the INTP community.

Unless you really think she does, using it as a name-calling device is almost stooping down to her level.

Only someone with ASPERGERS would spell it "asbergers" without realizing it, as spelling things in ridiculous ways continuously is a hallmark trait of those possessing the psychological disorder.

This seems to be very far from a hallmark trait. People w/ aspergers seem to be more likely to obsessively check for errors in minute facts such as spellings.

Putting egg on your face is another trait.

Darn non-literal language... *looks it up*

Oh ok, that one might have some truth to it :tongue:

If you really have found a correlation, you ought to get that shit published in journals. If you don't get your ass handed to you by peer reviews from the scientific community, you may be on your way to tenure offers.

Do journals take any connections between MBTI and something else seriously?

No. The whole eugenics thing is one of my major problems with some of the autism/aspie 'advocacy' groups.

Advocacy groups promoting eugenics... I think you are overlooking the real advocacy groups out there.

I wouldn't call it a disease... It's not very well-defined at the moment. The criteria in the DSM-IV changed, and now statistics are up to one in 150.

Of course it is not a disease... I wouldn't be surprised at all if it wasn't even a disorder at all. It is very ill-defined, and it is unknown whether the one in 150 actually includes a great deal of people with Aspergers.

The INTP-Aspergers thing is assuming that all people with Aspergers are poorly adjusted.
Some manage to "get along" in society by mimicking people all their lives. These people are skilled at impressions, able to do the exact walk, voice, and mannerisms of people they know. I wish I could remember the name of the book I read this in.

Not only this... theoretically a person with Aspergers could turn out to be a social butterfly, a famous actor in the spotlight all the time, or the next socio-emotional extraordinaire making millions on self-help books.

Kids who are significantly behind in social skills do not necessarily stay that way forever. People with Aspergers can learn to improve what they are behind in. It may be more difficult to acquire such abilities than it is for neurotypicals, but it is certainly not impossible.

Umm, and yeah, I was classified (but not formally diagnosed) as somewhere on the autism spectrum as a child. So what if people are confusing creatures to me? I am still awesome, and I dare Thatgirl to exterminate me (for just the potential of being an INTP aspie) because I'll have Luna's Lovers protecting me in no time :D

Kangol

MBTI Type
INTP
Do journals take any connections between MBTI and something else seriously?

Probably not, but anything with any real psychological merit and advances the understanding of disorders such as Asperger's is journal-worthy. If what the OP says is true, my statement stays.

Of course, there's no real correlation, and I think it would be very difficult to successfully correlate MBTI typology with things like disorders.