• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] So hard being (mis)undestood

Jaguar

Yeah, that was my frustration for people confusing all kinds of personal preferences (like the preference of liking the smell of rose) with some kind of "intelligence". I just appreciate the kind of intelligence that is known to be associated with good measurable, objective performance in something.

I'm feeling for a writer who wrote an article with ironic opinions in here a while ago. She was condemned, her opinions denounced. No clue she was writing in another style than realism - no clue of that sort from anyone in the ISTJ land. In the ISTJ land, everything is literal. All other kind of expression is cheating and terrible.

I'm beginning to wonder if the ISTJ land is world wide.

Frustration? Is that what you call what you did in that old thread?
How about a drunken rage against those "inferior" to you.
Then you had the entire thread deleted.
Believe me, I'd link to that thread if it still existed.

Don't give me anymore of your pseudo-literary drivel.
I'm the last person on earth you want to try and impress with that crap.
I have a degree in English Lit.
Not only do I know literary devices, I can easily recognize someone pretending to know them.

That's you.

This is a typology forum. Period.
This is not a Literature or Creative Writing forum.

As if whining about your "high IQ" isn't enough,
now you're whining because people don't realize you're the ghost of Ernest-fucking-Hemingway.
You have no right to denounce people simply because they don't appreciate your "writing style."

I find the ideas of most everyone substandard, even if expressed in standard language.

Those words are vomitus.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Perhaps the reason you're so misunderstood is because you run around in Final Fantasy costumes. Such misunderstandings would get you shot or speared in some cultures.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Don't give me anymore of your pseudo-literary drivel.
I'm the last person on earth you want to try and impress with that crap.
I have a degree in English Lit.
Not only do I know literary devices, I can easily recognize someone pretending to know them.

That's you.

This is a typology forum. Period.
This is not a Literature or Creative Writing forum.

As if whining about your "high IQ" isn't enough,
now you're whining because people don't realize you're the ghost of Ernest-fucking-Hemingway.
You have no right to denounce people simply because they don't appreciate your "writing style."
I haven't been trying to impress anyone with anything like that too hard.. not that it'd be a criminal offense trying to impress someone :D But no, the style hasn't been anything I've wanted to impress people with. If you'd want to condemn all the people who don't stay stuff just as they are, you'd have to condemn a hell lot of people. Perhaps you'd like to continue condemning the people who do say the stuff as they are, as a continuation to your crusade.

Really, I don't see evidence of any of your degrees helping you in any way. You've approached some messages I've wrote from a weird angle, something I've tried to clarify when I've got the time. I couldn't bend my mind to the idea that you wouldn't understand some things, so I left them unexplained.

Saying things as they are and saying things as they aren't isn't very difficult, and some of the twists can be understood quite well. Perhaps you're just eagerly wishing others would make sense in the way you'd like them to. Perhaps it's good style to give clear hints of one's real stance over the issues. I'm not sure, I'm no expert, I've just loved good fun on some other forums - and people have had no problem with joking to have a weird opinion, for example. What I've done is a honest attempt at good communication, even if the communication has been a bit tricky.

Now why would you take away my rights to denounce people? That kind of right is exercised all the way, all the time. People complain about the TJ, the S, their dog and everyone else, too. Perhaps I've complained a bit too much, but that is a different problem.

I do feel being misunderstood by the kind of people who think that numbers 1,2 and 5 are living, feeling things, while I'm trying to convince them otherwise. I do feel being misunderstood by people holding a lot of strange opinions I can't accept. I don't think I have directed my disapproval to any persons in particular, but mostly at issues, although I have vented now and then.

Perhaps you're mad for getting another player in the disapproval business? I mean, that's your business, isn't it? Do you write a lot of stuff where you don't dismissing anyone for their stupid thoughts? Stuff where you don't promote yourself as someone vaguely authoritative?

I recommend to chill off, examine things and reply some time after.

Jaguar

You've approached some messages I've wrote from a weird angle, something I've tried to clarify when I've got the time. I couldn't bend my mind to the idea that you wouldn't understand some things, so I left them unexplained.

Considering we've never really had a conversation, that's a strange claim to make.
You're delusional.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Perhaps you're mad for getting another player in the disapproval business?

Oh my. I'm sure those that are unfortunate enough to be without your approval lose much sleep. Boy, I sure hope I'm not one of those people some day. Jee Whiz, that would be alot to endure. :rolli:

I recommend to chill off, examine things and reply some time after.

Hmmmm. Looks like you might want to take your own advice. :yes:

By the way, whose your tailor? I'd like his phone number if you don't mind sharing it. I'm interviewing for a job as a clown at the circus and none of the stores in my area stock such haberdashery. :D

Time for my MENSA meeting. Gotta' go! :newwink:

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Oh boy, there comes a morning after a night of drinking, and it's now. If I felt misunderstood then, I should have just made myself understood, and that's it.

I would've missed the advice that I need to improve my language, tho.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
My problem is really not the deficient language I write in, but my expectation for others to distinguish sarcasm, irony and realism. I'm sure that understanding all of that goes beyond petty distinctions in grammar.

It sounds like you are talking about written language here, and I can relate to what you are saying. Written language has no tone or body language to it, so it can be hard to communicate sarcasm or irony. These types of things involve subtext and a "reading between the lines", but it's much easier to communicate subtext verbally as compared to written form.

When I'm writing on a message board I try to put a smilie in their of some sort to indicate subtext, but this is kind of a poor man's substitute. The really good fiction authors can skillfully indicate subtext through the text alone. They put in extra words to indicate sarcasm, and while these words wouldn't normally be in vocalized speech, the author makes them seem like they could be. There is definitely an art form to it. Writing is not like talking, but some can make it seem like it is.

Jaguar

Time for my MENSA meeting. Gotta' go! :newwink:

:rofl1:

Oh boy, there comes a morning after a night of drinking, and it's now. If I felt misunderstood then, I should have just made myself understood, and that's it.

I would've missed the advice that I need to improve my language, tho.

Must you be so predictable?
When I was getting off the computer last night I said,
"Watch, the dumb-fuck will claim he was drunk."

Voila.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That sounds weird. Well, you enjoy inventing all stuff, per your demonstrated inability to understand stuff. Whatever.

It's fun you write all the stuff that sounds like you were winning someone, IF the things you said were true to any degree, or relevant.

Now what if I said, haha! I totally owned you in that boxing match! I dropped you in the second round! Well.. there doesn't need to be a boxing match to say that. People who don't bother to read, or are incapable of understanding stuff, will see the expressions of such win as True Leadership.

Jaguar, you're a fake. You spit out the words of victory without there ever having been one. Perhaps you go by the idea that the pen (or the keyboard) is mightier than the sword, given all your literary knowledge?

One point you failed.. you called me delusional for thinking we've had a conversation.

We've directed few comments at one another, we've replied to each others posts. If that serves as an example of your accuracy in reporting stuff, you're a fake.

Listen, if you're starting to throw baseless accusations and nonsense completely detached from reality, you can just go to the nearest closet, shut the door and talk all day. I think the walls may be more interested of your stuff than I.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I reconsidered much of the stuff. I responded to that post as a knee-jerk reaction. I think I've been unreasonable in trying to insult people's intelligence, including yours. I'm sorry.

I thought of a good way to express "acting out of character", "joking" and such. I think PinkPiranha does it quite well. I don't recall it exactly, but I think she puts "acted" stuff in parenthesis, with an asterix, like this:

(*Slams the door)

Now that I'm thinking it, I haven't used good methods to distinguish "acted" or "portrayed" stuff from real stuff. I shouldn't have tried to insult your intelligence at all - there was no reason to be offensive.

I'm not sure if it helps at this point, but I was feeling devastated for being taken as a joke or an act I portrayed, as opposed to the real thing I was. But I guess I can never know how I'll be taken. Perhaps I had been better off marking my non-realistic monologues in a clear way.

This is as true as it gets, and I'm being literal here. This is no joke, not an experiment or anything like that.

I'm hoping for you to reconsider me as your online friend again, as I'd hate to lose you.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
115-130 is the above above average range on most test, you seem to suggest that you are obove that which I highly doubt considering that

A) you probably took an online test, everyone who takes online tests is a "genius"

B) Its statisticly unlikely considering that IQ tests have a bell curve.

C) IQ isnt a very good measure of intelligence in the first place.

D) lol troll

I rest my case

Nizy

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
115-130 is the above above average range on most test, you seem to suggest that you are obove that which I highly doubt considering that

A) you probably took an online test, everyone who takes online tests is a "genius"

B) Its statisticly unlikely considering that IQ tests have a bell curve.

C) IQ isnt a very good measure of intelligence in the first place.

D) lol troll

I rest my case

Valuable Post

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I'm not intending to make it a full time job to reply to nonsense, so I'll be brief.

-intelligence outside IQ isn't well established, so IQ test intelligence is in fact the best
-I've got multiple psychological assessments of me as a borderline genius or just genius - depending on how genius is defined. No, that doesn't include borderline disorder for me. I've got one assessment as "not genius" as well.
-I've been an ass in promoting myself in such a bad way. My losses of intellectual opportunity as a young man .. they often come up in my mind when I'm drunk. Believe it or not. Sorry for grammatical errors. I slept only 3 and a half hours last night as a result of prolonged drinking and long time surfing on the interwebs.
-intelligence and skill are clearly distinguishable by factor analysis. Know the subject.

Happyman

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
That is a very strange thread. :D

As for intelligence and being (or not being) understood... I think it's an easy excuse for not trying to reach to other people. I think I know something like 8 people with IQ over 156 (I mean, those who have it for sure) and just one of them could write something like the things you did. The others are pretty fine with people (or even awesome ;) ).

I'm afraid you just need some practice with communication. I also know it's hard to drop the idea of being 'intelligent and misunderstood' (damn mass-culture! it's such a romantic ideal!!). Maybe it's even ego-wrecking, the idea that you just do not posses some skills, let's call them social skills and that you are not deemed to be 'forever misunderstood'. Try spending more time talking to people, ya know. ;)

I think it's not your English level that's a problem, but you trying to write like, some... dandy? ;) I can tell that you strive for some kind of 'exquisite' language. Nobody expects it of you (not even me, and I'm a writer! ;) ).

PS I might be completely wrong about you. I wrote it in case there's something to it, maybe it will be useful for you to look at yourself in this light for a second or two.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Hey, that was a freaking good post. I approve, I'll think of it.

I guess I have good communication skills alright, but some problem with social things, even though I'm attempting. I have a problem of seeing myself as an outcast, because of the time I experienced burnout and depression and when I was, as a matter-of-fact, an outcast.

Giving some development on the subject, I still have a somewhat twisted view of myself in relation to the rest of the world.

But. Thanks.