Ehh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Ehh
    Mmm

MBTI
    xxxx

And here I was thinking that language was about communication, not expression.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

Well, I'm trying .. I could be writing sentences like
    -Rock is hard
    -Water is wet
    -Sky is blue

..all day, but.. I'm trying something more. When I'm tired or drunk, I write in a degraded language. But still, there's some stuff I'd just expect people to understand, regardless of the correctness of the language used to express it. I've been told by more than a few persons that my English is just OK and fine - it can be understood, and it's good enough. Granted, I do distort it again and again.

My problem is really not the deficient language I write in, but my expectation for others to distinguish sarcasm, irony and realism. I'm sure that understanding all of that goes beyond petty distinctions in grammar.

Or, perhaps it's a style in fighting a sarcastic person. If the person X says the sentence: "don't everyone get smarter by eating bagels?" Person X can be quite effectively discredited by carefully examining the scientific, statistical connection between bagels and intelligence. If no-one looks at the context at which it was said, but only hears the counterarguments, person X can be made to seem quite mad.

Or, perhaps it was the person X (me, oho!) who is mad after all, for the simple reason of expecting others to recognize contexts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Dude, your English...
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Se>Fe>Si>Fi

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fucked you."

MBTI
    ENTJ

If my language is substandard, I'm in a hard position. I find the ideas of most everyone substandard, even if expressed in standard language. Perhaps there's a lot of people who just expect more from me than I can deliver, and a lot of people who deliver less than what I expect.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxxx

Well, I'm trying .. I could be writing sentences like
    -Rock is hard
    -Water is wet
    -Sky is blue
    Doesn't your native tongue have adjectives and articles in it? Sentences such as the ones you posted above are somewhat vague. Do you mean that a rock is hard? Do you mean that the rock is hard? Perhaps you mean that all rocks are hard. Your sentence, as written, implies that you identify rock as some sort of element and that one of the properties of this element is hardness. You may be using it to question human perception, perhaps trying to preach a lesson about assumptions ingrained into the minds of all mankind since they first existed.

However, given the irregular syntax, most people will likely mentally insert the word "the" in order to make sense of your sentence.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

If my language is substandard, I'm in a hard position. I find the ideas of most everyone substandard, even if expressed in standard language. Perhaps there's a lot of people who just expect more from me than I can deliver, and a lot of people who deliver less than what I expect.
    Then we shall agree to not understand or care for what each other has to say.

Good day.
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Se>Fe>Si>Fi

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fucked you."

MBTI
    ENTJ

Adjectives, yes, articles, no. None at all. There's practically no articles in the Finnish language.

Yes, I sometimes have hard time deciding where to put a definite article, an indefinite article, or no article at all. A lot of other stuff is hard as well. I'm better with formal language, but I can't help but to introduce a LOT of errors if I want to portray any other tone than a serious tone.

Given the feedback, perhaps I'm not good in writing English as it was natural for me. Many native speakers make horrible grammatical errors all the way, but their errors are just the right kind. The native speakers of the language have accustomed to the kind of errors they make regularly. If I'm trying to emulate a carefree writing style, I'll probably make the wrong errors (as I do), and most likely I'll just appear dumb as a result.

Yet, I'd like to know how to write in an informal way. It's not very fun to write standardized text in a foreign language when trying to relax.

I do believe I'm mostly misunderstood for other reasons than grammar, though. Like I've said, people lack the understanding of sarcasm, irony, realism and other styles.

Perhaps I'm wrong to direct messages to a greater group, when I'd be better off with directing them at a smaller group. For example, if someone believes in MBTI like it was a word from their own personal God, my message would probably not be understood if I compared MBTI to astrology. My message would perhaps get some of those who didn't like MBTI that much, but others would just wonder about what I said.

Perhaps I'm expecting others to share my opinions when there's no actual agreement on anything.

Or, perhaps I'm relying too much on my actual opinions being known. I expect that my unusual opinion will be recognized as such; if I express an opinion W, the observant ones will recognize I've been advocating the opinion H all along, so my expressed opinion W must be a joke.

I am of course wrong to expect such things. I guess I'd have to speak to every member of the audience individually to avoid such shortcomings. That would be a chore, wouldn't it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]