• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
When I first took the personality test I couldn't tell if i was INTJ or INTP since they are very similar. what are the big difference between each other?

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
hah no way. INTJ is the furthest from INTP, among ISTP ENTP INFP and INTJ. Meet one. I can't explain it, but no way. They judge results. INTPs are about ideas. They're scientists, we're philosophers.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
INTPs are smarter, less certain of themselves, and easier to get along with in groups.

INTJs have a better sense of humor, are decisive and determined, and easier to get along with one-on-one.

At least, in my experience. ENTPs are funnier than BOTH types, though, for the record, so the NTPs actually win that one.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
INTPs are smarter, less certain of themselves, and easier to get along with in groups.

INTJs have a better sense of humor, are decisive and determined, and easier to get along with one-on-one.

Why are you contrasting being smarter with having a better sense of humor?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Because INTPs usually seem too focused on logical correctness (despite their openness/randomness) to have a good sense of humor. They're like watered-down ENTPs that don't pack the same punch in that department, honestly. INTJs, on the other hand, are only focused on external logic/structure as it relates to a goal, so they seem to have more room in their heads to paint a situation in a humorous light.

On the other hand, it could just be a matter of me tending to "get" INTJ humor and miss INTP humor. The "smarter" thing could also be me tending to "get" INTP logic and miss INTJ logic to the point that I fail to recognize it as logic.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Because INTPs usually seem too focused on logical correctness (despite their openness/randomness) to have a good sense of humor. They're like watered-down ENTPs that don't pack the same punch in that department, honestly. INTJs, on the other hand, are only focused on external logic/structure as it relates to a goal, so they seem to have more room in their heads to paint a situation in a humorous light.

On the other hand, it could just be a matter of me tending to "get" INTJ humor and miss INTP humor. The smarter thing could also be me tending to "get" INTP logic and miss INTJ logic to the point that I fail to recognize it as logic.
So then your note is that INTPs appear to have a higher devotion to logic than INTJ, a focus that diminishes their humor?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
So then your note is that INTPs appear to have a higher devotion to logic than INTJ, a focus that diminishes their humor?

Yes. I do have a certain admiration for that devotion, though.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
In technical terms (that is, as "technical" as MBTI gets) they have a very different way of functioning...the primary function of the INTP is introverted thinking (Ti) which is highly precise, scientific, and values truth. Their secondary function is extroverted intuition (Ne), which is all about external connections (and I believe is the source of their bizarre sense of humor). Being Ti dominant does seem (to me) to make them tend to be more literal, and like Athenian said, they are more interested in logic (on the other hand, INTJs will throw hyperbole around pretty casually--they expect you to fill in the gaps yourself).

The primary function of the INTJ is introverted intuition (Ni), which is a generator of ideas and patterns, and it's backed by extroverted thinking (Te) which is about external organization and decision making.

So yes, INTPs are more like philosophers, driven by truth and the examination of ideas (and not results...the lazy bastards ;)), whereas INTJs are driven by results, efficiency, and their internal vision.

As far as surface indicators go...in conversation, INTJs tend to be very terse and brief, whereas INTPs are more likely to ramble on a bit, picking out words with care and trying to make their ideas known.

Anyone can, of course, correct me on any points if I'm off. I just wrote what came to mind.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

At least, in my experience. ENTPs are funnier than BOTH types, though, for the record, so the NTPs actually win that one.

It's probably best to leave personal opinions such as "smarter" and "funnier," out of this. You don't want others running to be INTP because they want to be considered "teh smartie." I suspect all of the bias in favor of INTPs on this forum is the reason why many are mistyping themselves as INTP.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's probably best to leave personal opinions such as "smarter" and "funnier," out of this. You don't want others running to be INTP because they want to considered "teh smartie." I suspect all of the bias in favor of INTPs on this forum is the reason why many are mistyping themselves as INTP.

Well, I think it's better that people mistype themselves as INTP. At least that way most of the mistypes are all in the same pile rather than spread around.

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Oh? If you want me to take it back, tell me a joke that I find amusing. :)

id rather be called less funny than every entp then find out what creepy things you infjs find amusing. :horor:

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Te vs Ti
Ne vs Ni

Not just that, but the Perception and Judgement have reversed priorities.
Ni-Te compared to Ti-Ne. Yes, the two types are actually quite different.

I say, to find your answer, read Lenore Thomson's stuff.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
It's probably best to leave personal opinions such as "smarter" and "funnier," out of this. You don't want others running to be INTP because they want to be considered "teh smartie." I suspect all of the bias in favor of INTPs on this forum is the reason why many are mistyping themselves as INTP.

But... I really am INTP.

Two Point Two

MBTI Type
INTJ
One thing you could try would be joining INTJ forum and INTP central, and seeing where you feel more in sync with the style of interaction. I used to think I was an INTP, but INTPc sets my nerves on edge. I've since seen people say that, for INTPs, it's all lighthearted joking there and they take it all in stride, but I found it very daunting.

Looking at cognitive processes is a good idea, too - But don't jump to identify with a group of them too quickly. I found it of limited help, because I relate to all four of the Ns and Ts; I underestimated the extent to which I used Te (perhaps because as an auxiliary it's like second nature and not overly enjoyable) and Ni (because it's so natural and the default that you don't even question its presence), and I overestimated the extent to which I use Ti and Ne (maybe because, as less natural processes for me, their use was more noticeable when it occurred).

I think that, if you're looking at cognitive processes, it's a good idea to look not just at the amount you use the different processes, but also at the way in which you use them; the role they play in your mental life.

Unique

But... I really am INTP.

Noted, ISTJ to INTP, ESTP to INTP what's it matter? This forum is about self discovery and I don't think people are lame enough to mistype themselves as another time just to seem smart

On the contrary I'd rather be a different type, INTPs don't fit into society well, at the same time though I wouldn't want to be any other type, though I do wish there were more INTPs

Also type personality type doesn't = skill or intelligence

Otherwise all INTPs would be like einstein, obviously not the case