User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    intp

Default How are INTP and INTJ different

When I first took the personality test I couldn't tell if i was INTJ or INTP since they are very similar. what are the big difference between each other?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    :run

hah no way. INTJ is the furthest from INTP, among ISTP ENTP INFP and INTJ. Meet one. I can't explain it, but no way. They judge results. INTPs are about ideas. They're scientists, we're philosophers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Eh.
    wails from the crypt.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

INTPs are smarter, less certain of themselves, and easier to get along with in groups.

INTJs have a better sense of humor, are decisive and determined, and easier to get along with one-on-one.

At least, in my experience. ENTPs are funnier than BOTH types, though, for the record, so the NTPs actually win that one.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    INTPs are smarter, less certain of themselves, and easier to get along with in groups.

INTJs have a better sense of humor, are decisive and determined, and easier to get along with one-on-one.
    Why are you contrasting being smarter with having a better sense of humor?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Because INTPs usually seem too focused on logical correctness (despite their openness/randomness) to have a good sense of humor. They're like watered-down ENTPs that don't pack the same punch in that department, honestly. INTJs, on the other hand, are only focused on external logic/structure as it relates to a goal, so they seem to have more room in their heads to paint a situation in a humorous light.

On the other hand, it could just be a matter of me tending to "get" INTJ humor and miss INTP humor. The "smarter" thing could also be me tending to "get" INTP logic and miss INTJ logic to the point that I fail to recognize it as logic.

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Because INTPs usually seem too focused on logical correctness (despite their openness/randomness) to have a good sense of humor. They're like watered-down ENTPs that don't pack the same punch in that department, honestly. INTJs, on the other hand, are only focused on external logic/structure as it relates to a goal, so they seem to have more room in their heads to paint a situation in a humorous light.

On the other hand, it could just be a matter of me tending to "get" INTJ humor and miss INTP humor. The smarter thing could also be me tending to "get" INTP logic and miss INTJ logic to the point that I fail to recognize it as logic.
    So then your note is that INTPs appear to have a higher devotion to logic than INTJ, a focus that diminishes their humor?
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    So then your note is that INTPs appear to have a higher devotion to logic than INTJ, a focus that diminishes their humor?
    Yes. I do have a certain admiration for that devotion, though.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

In technical terms (that is, as "technical" as MBTI gets) they have a very different way of functioning...the primary function of the INTP is introverted thinking (Ti) which is highly precise, scientific, and values truth. Their secondary function is extroverted intuition (Ne), which is all about external connections (and I believe is the source of their bizarre sense of humor). Being Ti dominant does seem (to me) to make them tend to be more literal, and like Athenian said, they are more interested in logic (on the other hand, INTJs will throw hyperbole around pretty casually--they expect you to fill in the gaps yourself).

The primary function of the INTJ is introverted intuition (Ni), which is a generator of ideas and patterns, and it's backed by extroverted thinking (Te) which is about external organization and decision making.

So yes, INTPs are more like philosophers, driven by truth and the examination of ideas (and not results...the lazy bastards ), whereas INTJs are driven by results, efficiency, and their internal vision.

As far as surface indicators go...in conversation, INTJs tend to be very terse and brief, whereas INTPs are more likely to ramble on a bit, picking out words with care and trying to make their ideas known.

Anyone can, of course, correct me on any points if I'm off. I just wrote what came to mind.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    intp

I just read both INTP and INTJ. Both seem to fit me.... Should i take the personality test again?
    http://www.personalitypage.com/INTP.html
    http://www.personalitypage.com/INTJ.html
    and easier to get along with one-on-one.
    i dunno about humor part but I can only work with one on one. Groups doesn't work for me even I know everyone well in the group. oh and epic avatar(profile pic?) BTW!