• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] How are INTP and INTJ different

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Not sure if sad and offering support.

Or a penis.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not sure if sad and offering support.

Or a penis.
Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
Fe = 0
:sartre:

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perfect tandem of posts, above.

Lately, I am losing relatable concept of what an INTP is like. Haven't met one in person in a long while.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We are reliant and trustworthy to the few that understand us. How unfortunate, for the many that do not.

It all comes down to expectancy. ;)

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
Based on personal experience...

Both types are nerds/geeks. INTJs are stiff nerds, sorta embarrassed that they're as such and tries to compensate by appearing too stoic, but can't hide it anyway. INTPs are loose geeks. Not as ENTP kind of loose, but still apparent.

Both types need a social life, only that INTJ don't like to do anything with that aspect of their life. INTPs will do something, but will fail at the onset. They'd probably be more obnoxious for a long time before they actually realize how Fe works when they reach maturity.

Both types are confrontational with their conviction. Only that, INTJs only argue when provoked, and this doesn't happen that often. INTPs will troll on a message board, argue that their favorite artist/musician is the best on the planet, even if in the grander sense of things, their infatuation with them is hardly important. In this sense, the INTJ is less annoying, because this type hardly imposes his online presence. He argues, sure, but not habitually.

Compared to INTJs, INTPs have a true sense of humor (sorry, INTJs).
Though one major flaw in INTP humor...
Let's say an ESTP said a sarcastic shallow remark to an INTP. The INTP will feel offended and will say something more sarcastic and deeper to the point that it will pound the other person deeply. Most INTP humor are so politically incorrect, and personal. Their desire to say something more sarcastic to win in an argument actually makes them lose friends in the process.

This is different than let's say, INTJ humor. Even if an INTJ say something bitchy, it always feel like he's just being generally bitchy. It doesn't feel personal, and thus, the effect is short term.

mujigay

Intergalactic Badass
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
My INTP best friend is smarter than me. And more attractive.

On a more serious note, humor-wise, INTPs I have interacted with tend to have a Monty Python's Flying Circus sort of sense of humor, you know? Very off-the-wall. Whereas me and the one other INTJ that I have met tend to come off as bitches. It's not intentional, it just happens. The INTP relies on zaniness or unexpected observations to make people laugh, I like wordplay and juxtaposition.

Furthermore, the INTPs I know have less obsessive tendencies. They don't seem to tend to gnaw on particular concepts or problems the way I do. They flit from one subject to another, and master it all.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In my experience, the INTP strives for objectivity while the INTJ only puts on a show of objectivity. But to be truly objective can be socially detrimental, whereas the INTJ not only has the ability to ACT objective (thus appearing intelligent, which they are anyway) but to also be socially successful. The INTP loathes the entire social arena and often shows this fact; the INTJ also loathes the social arena, but hides this fact in an effort to manipulate it and achieve certain goals (be they career goals or whatever). The supposed objectivity of the INTJ reduces to vaguely concealed rationalizations which go over the heads of the intellectually naive. The INTP pays a social price for pursuing pure objectivity in all things; the INTJ gains socially by appearing objective while in actuality merely "playing the game."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
intpbadge_attr.png

intjbadge_attr.png

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Exactly. I was thinking of Prometheus, the new Ridley Scott movie, and how it reminds me so much of his other movie Alien. And then I suddenly realized that Kane, the android scientist, behaved precisely like a cunning INTJ Mastermind throughout the movie. I watched this movie when it first came out and he had me COMPLETELY fooled. Kane was not a powerful or daunting figure in the movie, just a sly, behind-the-scenes manipulator of events. He was always giving "logical" reasons why the crew should do this or that, such as landing on the planet with the aliens. But his logic was based on only those facts he chose to present. And the results were spectacularly successful, although I'm not sure to this day whether or not the Earth government really knew what it was getting itself into.

Spock in some Star Trek episodes had a similar INTJ Mastermind methodology. The best example of this was the TOS 2-part episode The Menagerie, in which Spock finds a way to logically save his old Captain Pike from a fate worse than death, while at the same time walking a fine line between life and death himself, having violated the Star Fleet order to avoid Talos IV on penalty of death.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Exactly. I was thinking of Prometheus, the new Ridley Scott movie, and how it reminds me so much of his other movie Alien. And then I suddenly realized that Kane, the android scientist, behaved precisely like a cunning INTJ Mastermind throughout the movie. I watched this movie when it first came out and he had me COMPLETELY fooled. Kane was not a powerful or daunting figure in the movie, just a sly, behind-the-scenes manipulator of events. He was always giving "logical" reasons why the crew should do this or that, such as landing on the planet with the aliens. But his logic was based on only those facts he chose to present. And the results were spectacularly successful, although I'm not sure to this day whether or not the Earth government really knew what it was getting itself into.

Spock in some Star Trek episodes had a similar INTJ Mastermind methodology. The best example of this was the TOS 2-part episode The Menagerie, in which Spock finds a way to logically save his old Captain Pike from a fate worse than death, while at the same time walking a fine line between life and death himself, having violated the Star Fleet order to avoid Talos IV on penalty of death.

Here is an interesting evil INTJ Mastermind, although the guy in real life could be an INTP Architect or an ENTP Inventor.
Real_Vampires__Nikola_Tesla__by_calceil.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my experience, the INTP strives for objectivity while the INTJ only puts on a show of objectivity. But to be truly objective can be socially detrimental, whereas the INTJ not only has the ability to ACT objective (thus appearing intelligent, which they are anyway) but to also be socially successful. The INTP loathes the entire social arena and often shows this fact; the INTJ also loathes the social arena, but hides this fact in an effort to manipulate it and achieve certain goals (be they career goals or whatever). The supposed objectivity of the INTJ reduces to vaguely concealed rationalizations which go over the heads of the intellectually naive. The INTP pays a social price for pursuing pure objectivity in all things; the INTJ gains socially by appearing objective while in actuality merely "playing the game."
Interesting. My SO is INTP, and is much more willing to socialize than I, just jumps in without premeditation and is usually well-received. I socialize much more reluctantly, and when I do, it is usually with some specific agenda or goal in mind. We are older than lots of folks here, though, so perhaps all this just comes from being more mature.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. My SO is INTP, and is much more willing to socialize than I, just jumps in without premeditation and is usually well-received. I socialize much more reluctantly, and when I do, it is usually with some specific agenda or goal in mind. We are older than lots of folks here, though, so perhaps all this just comes from being more mature.

There is that coldly rational aspect of the INTJ. They often feel more comfortable hanging with "their own kind" (family, close friends, people from their church). Apart from that, their methodology in the social realm is to "pretend to be human," or to put it better, closer to the average. And so I get a strong impression that I'm being talked down to from someone who is trying to think on my level. But I think that is the effect of a mind that moves so rapidly that the real world can't keep up with it, so they have to slow their minds down in an effort simply to communicate.

I am reminded again of Kane who saved someone's life solely because that person was crucial to the mission, although he had to pretend to truly care about saving that person's life in order to maintain his cover.

As for your wife, I fully expect a female INTP to be more generally sociable than the males due to societal gender distiinctions.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
As for your wife, I fully expect a female INTP to be more generally sociable than the males due to societal gender distiinctions.

i have noticed the same thing with me and my INTJ friend(who has said that he wouldnt mind living in some city where he wouldnt know anyone, as long as he had his computer..), so its not just older female INTP thing.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you believe this in general, that gender is a stronger influence on observed behavior than type? Would you expect the balance to be different for different types?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Do you believe this in general, that gender is a stronger influence on observed behavior than type? Would you expect the balance to be different for different types?

I think INT males have an easier time developping in todays society (finding their 'place') than INT females. I haven't given much thought about gender distinctions between the other types.

For INTP's for example, females tend to be forced to mature their Fe more, becoming much more social creatures, if only to become 'socially accepted' in their environment, but also put more stress on their dominate function as opposed to INTP males. INTP males don't have the same amount of pressure on them that wants to force them out of their shells.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I generally believe it because I've seen others express the same thought around these parts. And it meshes with my people-watching experiences well enough. The social pressure on females is greater than it is on males. My observations indicate that females are forced to socially conform more than males are. But, I don't think that males and females have different social needs, only that females are more encouraged to develop their social ability. Those abilities don't necessarily have to do with becoming popular, it could be that or these abiliities (such as empathy) could be limited to a small circle of friends.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
INTP I would think is the quickest type to shoot their own theories down, and INTJ would be the type most self assured in the validity of their own theories. Also INTP is very lazy, whereas INTJ is the highest achiever potentially of all the types. INTJs I would also imagine are more domineering and overall not as nice if they are at a low level, although a high level INTJ could be far more well principled than INTP.