User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

In my experience, the biggest difference is that INTJs think there is a universal best way to do everything, and INTPs like to do what works for them...they prize independence over efficiency. I suppose you could extrapolate from that that INTJs are more theoretical and INTPs are more interested in real-life application.

Of course that could just be a function of the INTPs I am acquainted with.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx
    Socionics
    IEI

how to spot the difference, visually:

INTPs look affected in some way, or somewhat mischevious.
    INTJs appear more sober, neutral and contained.

INTPs tend to slouch.
    INTJs tend to have a more rigid posture.

INTPs have a more unkempt appearance.
    INTJs typically look quite neat by comparison.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.."
    -Oscar Wilde

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    So yes, INTPs are more like philosophers, driven by truth and the examination of ideas (and not results...the lazy bastards ), whereas INTJs are driven by results, efficiency, and their internal vision.
    I've met an INTP and an INTJ physicists and boy, do they inhabit different worlds.

The INTP guy does some really hard-core maths, coupled with a very philosophical approach to his science. He's interested in fundamental physics, why we are here, how did we get here, building coherent mega theory-of-everything logical structures. He is a very nice guy, charming in a goofy mysterious way. Once he worked on a single publication for a whole year, which he claims no one reads because it turned out embarrassingly impenetrable (unless you are another INTP). He's a pretty big guy in his field, but he has like. . . no students and no post-docs, only collaborators. He encourages a lot of reading (i.e. taking in information), and he himself reads A LOT.

The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
    But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
    He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.

Quote Originally Posted by phthalocyanine View Post
    how to spot the difference, visually:

INTPs tend to slouch.

Yeah these 2 guys are EXACTLY like that!

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Otherwise all INTPs would be like einstein, obviously not the case
    Einstein is sooo ISTP. He is more Se-Ni than Ne-Si. His defence of determinism against the probabilistic picture of reality smacks a lot of Ti that uses Ni for support, rather than Ti that uses defensive Si.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tetsuwanatom View Post
    I've met an INTP and an INTJ physicists and boy, do they inhabit different worlds.

The INTP guy does some really hard-core maths, coupled with a very philosophical approach to his science. He's interested in fundamental physics, why we are here, how did we get here, building coherent mega theory-of-everything logical structures. He is a very nice guy, charming in a goofy mysterious way. Once he worked on a single publication for a whole year, which he claims no one reads because it turned out embarrassingly impenetrable (unless you are another INTP). He's a pretty big guy in his field, but he has like. . . no students and no post-docs, only collaborators. He encourages a lot of reading (i.e. taking in information), and he himself reads A LOT.

The INTJ guy is very results-oriented. He likes to say learning is important but you need to get some results *insert terrifying war commando aura*. He's almost a publishing house, and he has this somewhat... aggressive feel to him. Like... even when he's nice and stuff, there's a bite to it and Ps like me feel a bit like we've got to watch out. He thinks theory-of-everything/interpretations of quantum mechanics/etc. stuff is "interesting" but ultimately useless. He has these quirky ideas that go against the grain but he can argue for them till he turns red and blue and ultimately the other person caves in from either agreeing with him or from sheer terror+fatigue.
    But usually these quirky ideas end up being pretty much on the ball.
    He is also very very precise, and he hates when people waffle. Unlike the somewhat impenetrable publications of the INTP, he writes tersely, to the point, precisely and confidently. When you read his stuff, there's none of the philosophical ramblings and complicated wordings of the INTP, but more of a: THIS IS IT FOOLS, YOU KNOW IT'S TRUE. Usually there will also be an I AM RIGHT YOU ARE WRONG, AND THIS IS WHY.

I giggled maintained the INTJ stoney-faced expression the entire way through this description
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    intp

In my experience, the biggest difference is that INTJs think there is a universal best way to do everything, and INTPs like to do what works for them...they prize independence over efficiency. I suppose you could extrapolate from that that INTJs are more theoretical and INTPs are more interested in real-life application.
    So I am INTP.

INTPs tend to slouch.

This quote really makes it sound like I'm INTJ.

Is it possible to have both features??? More I read about INTP and INTJ they both fit me perfectly. I guess i'm kinda stuck in between

It makes me wonder, we can't just have "one type" of personality since our ancestors all had different personality type over generations. If you look at the 16 personality type I can at least find couple features that fit me, not many but some. my dad for example is ISTP and i have a lot of similarity.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Try these:
    INTP Profile
    INTJ Profile

There are some superficial similarities, so yes, some characteristics overlap. But you're one or the other.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think when I tried to make suggestions to make the INFP's forum more efficient, I knew I was an INTJ.

No seriously. Last time I was there organization was a disaster. Repetitive boards everywhere. So hard to find what you wanted. And then when the INFPs found me there they went "aww so kyooot an INTJ" and ignored my suggestions. :steam:

What I mean is, you'll figure it out. In a flash of insight.

Then again I guess that's more of an INTJ thing. If you're an INTP it may take more analysis.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp

But you're one or the other
    why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.

EDIT: I just read those and they both seem to describe me. Except about the part where "often correct others". I wouldn't care less if you are doing it wrong long as it's not bothering me.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by refreshe123d View Post
    why is it one or the other? There are mixed race and it doesn't mean they have to pick which race they belong to.
    INFP.

Done.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge