User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: INTP parents

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Most people on here seem to have at least one SJ parent. ISTJ seems pretty common. ISTJ parents are decidedly evil and impossible to get along with.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My youngest son feels your pain. I make him go to school, do his homework, limit his consumption of sweets, encourage the consumption of some healthy foods, you get the idea.

It is hard not to spoil him because he is so cute and sweet, but I try not to over do it because I don't want to still be supporting him when he's thirty, or worse, have him believing he's the center of the universe and treating people like crap.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    intp

or worse, have him believing he's the center of the universe and treating people like crap
    My parents were tough on me. But It doesn't matter how harsh u raise your kid, if he's INTP he's going to believe he's the center of the universe no matter what. Still to this day, they always tell me to stop thinking your better than everyone eles.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by refreshe123d View Post
    My parents were tough on me. But It doesn't matter how harsh u raise your kid, if he's INTP he's going to believe he's the center of the universe no matter what. Still to this day, they always tell me to stop thinking your better than everyone eles.
    Not necessarily. They think they are smarter than everyone else. Often they are right and I can live with that as long as it's not obnoxious. But nobody, no matter how smart, how rich, how talented, or how beautiful has a right to treat other people badly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    intp

I don't think INTP would never treat someone badly for no reason. I for example only treat someone bad if they don't have manners or disrespected someone.

I do put myself first though cause i'm more "important" than most people but it doesn't mean i treat them badly.

My parents are
    ISTP
    INFT

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by refreshe123d View Post
    I don't think INTP would never treat someone badly for no reason. I for example only treat someone bad if they don't have manners or disrespected someone.

I do put myself first though cause i'm more "important" than most people but it doesn't mean i treat them badly.
    I'm not sure a very spoiled person realizes when they are treating someone badly. They always think they have a good reason if they are being obnoxious.
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Not necessarily. They think they are smarter than everyone else. Often they are right and I can live with that as long as it's not obnoxious. But nobody, no matter how smart, how rich, how talented, or how beautiful has a right to treat other people badly.
    I like you. You have inspired me to be good from now on. Not that I will actually achieve that...

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Risen View Post
    Most people on here seem to have at least one SJ parent. ISTJ seems pretty common. ISTJ parents are decidedly evil and impossible to get along with.
    ISTJ? Nonsense. I was raised by an ISFJ mother and a father whose type I'm unsure about. (but I'm thinking ISTP) On second thought, I might be raised by an ISFJ-ISTJ couple.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    My youngest son feels your pain. I make him go to school, do his homework, limit his consumption of sweets, encourage the consumption of some healthy foods, you get the idea.

Yeah, but seriously, a lot of SJ parents and the like who tend to rub INTP children the wrong way are just trying to apply their own methods of guidance for the kid. Once the INTP is older and can fall out of the "child" role in the parent-child relationship, this will become much clearer and you will find that they had good intentions. They were just rather naive and blind to how INTPs would like to be understood, which shouldn't be news to the INTP
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP

INTPs are a tiny part of the population, and it's unlikely that your parents will also be INTP. You're not the only INTP "suffering", don't be so full of yourself.

I had an ESxJ dad, and we didn't exactly have the best of relationships, to put it mildly. He did his best to bring me up, and I appreciate him for that - I can't realistically ask for more empathy and the like, because he already has tried his best to empathize with me. (not that he tried particularly hard, but it was still a good effort...)