• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP career

nucleaReligion

MBTI Type
ENTP
So I thought about this lately, but I think a career that is perfect for an ENTP is a professor, but I was wanting to hear what others thought.

The reason I state this is because I've considered becoming a professor, in essence, you are free to research what interests you (as long as the university finds it suitable) and in exchange you teach the topic you are an "expert" in. I find that this career is never really mentioned when discussing about ENTP's, but I'm not sure why.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's great if you can get through all the necessary bullshit in terms of schooling.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I found my career in automation and building robots. Of course I can become a professor with that, but I can also go into building an army of 50 feet tall war robots and conquer the world. Gonna see about that xD

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I think nowadays becoming a professor is complicated by the sheer amount of schooling you have to go through. If sitting down on books is your thing, then it's a great career.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The two ENTPs that I know from school are getting into engineering, one female and one male. I guess maybe because that can hold their interest for long enough?

...Assuming they can tolerate the school.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I can't talk about all ENTPs but I definitely couldn't survive as a professor. I know because I tried for a year. I luuuuurved the teaching part, giving lectures etc but I was dying when I had to do the "science" part, researching. I just couldn't do the reading and articles etc, it was boring as hell. hard science means going into details. into more and more details. think about that, my fellow ENTP.

I ran from the university. they still want me back to lecture but alas, at least in our university system I'd actually have to do "science" too, so no way jose.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The two ENTPs that I know from school are getting into engineering, one female and one male. I guess maybe because that can hold their interest for long enough?

...Assuming they can tolerate the school.

If you sit at the round table in R&D and your project manager steps in saying that your company got a new customer who wants a service robot that can clean the combustion chamber of a power plant from the inside, able to climb difficult geometries + not leaving any residue behind in the process that's like heaven for the ENTP mind that then starts combining and thinking about how to realize that thing. Maybe not the best heaven, the best heaven would be an isle filled with naked woman, but its a start. :D

I do understand the issue about minute detail work in university. Sometimes, when writing a scriptum for a lecture, you are only concerning with finding the excat phrases describing a thing and such work can become very frustrating.

What I dont think so is that ENTPs really loose intrest in things. They can switch intrests more frequently and unexpected and start to get exhilarated about one thing, leaving the original thing be. But I dont really forget things and I tend to finish my work, you just never know when :)

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Careers! I can't choose theres to many options. It like playing an RPG. I start a new character (career) then suddenly think of a new better one. Its fustrating.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I don't really think so... careers for ENTP's would best have a rapidly changing environment and constant stream of new challanges, without really any mundane, repetitive tasks in the mix.

While a professor at a university does provide very nice interaction with students, the ability to teach them how to do new stuffs, and so on... it's kinda... bleh. The rest of the job sucks; the research parts, the heavy detail laden work, the things like getting referances and going over people's papers to ensure that they really DID give 'real' referances, the dealing with the fact that the professor MUST teach certain things according to the government, even if it's total crap, and so on.

In short, it looks good on the surface until yeu actually get into the real stuff. If yeu just want to teach and lecture people all day about yeur ideas, traditional schooling is *NOT* the best option for an ENTP at all because it fails hardcore on so many levels.

The best careers for long term choices, would be ones which are in the IT field in one way or another usually, technology is rapidly growing, and changes constantly. There's always a new problem, a new program, something new to be applied, new to be learned, and rather than the whole "read through mountains of useless crap" kinda dealie, it's more often a topic of interest to the ENTP, meaning they'd generally enjoy the learning process most of the time.

Everything from network security, to digital art design, to robotics, these are great things as they require constantly shifting one's information to match the criteria at hand.

Personally I'm going into 3D digital art design with an emphasis on video games; as the average user's computer gains in processing capacity, especially on the graphics card side, the stuff that one can do goes up massively. There's everything from character animation, to character design, level design, pre-rendered graphics, to the neat part of trying to be sneaky in making things 'look' better than they really are, using tricks of the eye or processor to imply information which really isn't there. Take a look at WoW sometime; even if yeu hate the game, yeu have to admit, that they've managed to provide incredably pretty graphics despite that it can be run on a piece of crap for a computer... how? Because they use very low polygon count, use textures to fake details, that kinda thing, this sort of stuff is really rather interesting because of how much knowledge and puzzle solving it requires.

And better yet, my ending goal for my career, is to actually be on the lead design team for blizzard <3 So there'd be constant evaluation of game mechanics, code, graphics, balance issues, hardware compatibility, and so on. Trying to fit everything together in the end so that it makes sense would be tricky but so great too; for example, ENTP's will generally get bored easily on the whole 'details' part... so they LOVES the fun part of figuring out problems, or designing something new... once they have that down though, having to repeat the process ad nausia is just bleh.

So let's take the animation position; figuring out how to make something look better by lighting and texture effects is challanging, and innovative. Creating a unique level design based on both fun AND neat archetecture styles, especially if they're not found in history (skytown in metroid prime 3 is a great example of this), can be very great. Until... yeu get into the repetitive task of "design this entire level... by yeurself" then it's like oh joy this'll be... 'fun'.

Rather, the preferable spot would be the lead art designer then, able to sketch out a concept they have, or make one or two models to give an idea of whot they're looking for, then provide that to their team to do the little detail work of making the thousands of models actually required beyond that point. The idea of being able to encourage people with new ideas, go around helping them out where stuck, providing another point of view, but still getting last say on how it looks is nice. Problem is... paperwork, yay, but every job has it's downside or it wouldn't be work now would it?

The biggest thing to consider is whether it's worth the 'work' part and whether there's enough of the 'fun' part to go with it.

Being able to CREATE something is also pretty important, osmething that can be shown off or given to others, but maybe that's just me, not sure if it's a typical entp preferance for work.

Rajah

Reigning Bologna Princess
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I'm in school to be a prof right now.

I love the teaching, and I love the research. But I'm finding it difficult to deal with the tedium of getting from research to final product. I just need to buckle down and do it... I'm just VERY procrastinaty by nature.

nucleaReligion

MBTI Type
ENTP
I've been going back and forth on careers for a long time.
Originally I wanted to be a lawyer, but everyone wants to be one (at least all the history majors I run into).

I love photography, but I don't want to do it for a living (poverty stricken)

I debated about starting my own business, but to what end and what function?

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
i still cant decide what I want to do and I'm in the midst of another mid life crisis right now. I have gone through the sales, military, accounting and not one could hold me for more than a few years. Professor would be cool if I didn't actually have to do all the schooling to get there.

Every career test i take ends up photography at the top of the list. if I could merge a few things with photography, i think it would last a while. like traveling, but having kids doesn't work well with that.

I do think I've hit a wall where I know now that I should stop and really think out what I'm going to do that I can last a while at. I have the opportunity to go back to school for free, but my biggest fear is that I will do it and when I'm done I will already be bored with the subject.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I don't know about you guys, but the best career for me involves making a lot of $$$ which is why I'm sticking to pharmacy.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I don't know about you guys, but the best career for me involves making a lot of $$$ which is why I'm sticking to pharmacy.

exactly.. the perfect career for me is anything legal that pays lots of my $$$ for my other interests AND that doesn't get in the way(time wise) of my living my life pursuing my interests. at one point I thought about doing the professor thing but the academic community is SO small and tends to be tedious and doesn't pay that well.

I'm a project manager/localization engineer in the translation industry and I like. My days are different, the pay is great, I get to travel, and I have time for a work/life balance :smile:

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
exactly.. the perfect career for me is anything legal that pays lots of my $$$ for my other interests AND that doesn't get in the way(time wise) of my living my life pursuing my interests. at one point I thought about doing the professor thing but the academic community is SO small and tends to be tedious and doesn't pay that well.

I'm a project manager/localization engineer in the translation industry and I like. My days are different, the pay is great, I get to travel, and I have time for a work/life balance :smile:

You're living the dream :D!

This may sound insane, but I would hate to have a job that involved doing something that I like. For instance... say I love photography and music, but I would hate to be a musician or photographer. I like to keep my hobbies/interest separate from work and school. And I am a lot happier that way.

Also, I'm very materialistic anyway so I need a job that pays a lot. I want to travel and buy ridiculous things that I don't need :devil:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This may sound insane, but I would hate to have a job that involved doing something that I like. For instance... say I love photography and music, but I would hate to be a musician or photographer. I like to keep my hobbies/interest separate from work and school. And I am a lot happier that way.

This is exactly the way I feel about it, as well. I don't want the few things that interest me to become tedious.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I havent come that far in my life yet to actually understand the logic behind a thing that I like possibly be able to become tedious.

I nevertheless do feel the same urge tho to keep my real intrests out of the job. That's a thing many people I met do not understand and I do not understand it myself.

The only reasonable explanation I got, draws the meaning of freedom into the equation.

Bay

Rather, the preferable spot would be the lead art designer then, able to sketch out a concept they have, or make one or two models to give an idea of whot they're looking for, then provide that to their team to do the little detail work of making the thousands of models actually required beyond that point. The idea of being able to encourage people with new ideas, go around helping them out where stuck, providing another point of view, but still getting last say on how it looks is nice. Problem is... paperwork, yay, but every job has it's downside or it wouldn't be work now would it?

The biggest thing to consider is whether it's worth the 'work' part and whether there's enough of the 'fun' part to go with it.

Being able to CREATE something is also pretty important, osmething that can be shown off or given to others, but maybe that's just me, not sure if it's a typical entp preferance for work.

That is why I'm going for architecture :smoke: