• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] When an INTP never gets to learn MBTI...

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
...will he s*ck so badly later in life?
Or better yet, is there a difference in the development of those INTPs who learned MBTI to those who don't?

This is something I'm contemplating lately.

I know around 3 INTPs.

One is charming. Two of them s*cks big time. They suck so badly, it made me feel so bad about my archetype. Only the charming one knows MBTI to a certain extent, but not to the point where I think he understands fully what the body of theory means.

I was thinking about it. INTPs eventually realize sometime later in their lives (usually at their quarter-life crisis) that something's wrong with their status quo, and without a body of framework to explain their situation (MBTI), I don't think they have a lot of things going for them.

For example, one of those two sucky INTPs I know have a ruthless sarcasm. So just for the fun of things, I started talking to her in her own sarcastic language (I'm practicing political correctness over the past few years, after realizing how offending Ti can be to some people). It took less than a minute for her to get so pissed off.

I mean, it's just simple logic for me. Don't talk in a language that can offend you if someone used to you it in return.

MBTI taught me a lot in adapting to various archetypes. Not that I take it as a perfect theory, but as a primary framework for understanding people, it boosted my transformation, and actually, for the first time, I'm actually comfortable with added extroversion that I've developed.

Those two that I know that sinks in their introversion, it's making them more miserble. Not that I want to present MBTI so that they have a stepping stone in understanding people. Not that it's easy to understand to begin with.

It's like a part of the INTP psyche where clinging to one's intellect is so important because there are no other things to cling to. At least there are others who learn to gain versatility by significantly developing their auxiliary processes. Sort of flexing one's character. But is this attainable without a working idea, such as MBTI, as a reference point?

wank

MBTI Type
free
Enneagram
nope
It's like you're using mbti as a crutch(imo)

it is my opinion that INTPs are likely to already have something of a theory of people going on for themselves with or with out external aid.

Additionally it sounds like there's an issue with not integrating(in a matter of being so propper?) with society(introversion is not bad)...

Yes, I think people can grow in character without a reference point like mbti.
Also, they are less likely to be hung up on peoples differences and stereotypes.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ Actually people tend to look for an identity which mbti does quite well. Because they've found an identity they start to believe that they have power and thus can change what's in their lives for the better. But your right in that it shouldn't be used like a crutch.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Self awareness and self development =/= MBTI

If someone sucks badly in life MBTI isn't going to help them suck less.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Self awareness and self development =/= MBTI

If someone sucks badly in life MBTI isn't going to help them suck less.

This. Although it does help in realising that you're not some weirdo with a personality disorder; "Oh, there are others kinda like me". MBTI helped in that way for me, but as far as personal growth is concerned? No. I'm not interested in that. MBTI can't provide that; that would be self-prophesizing.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
So all the other INTPS all over the world in non-Western societies who have never heard of MBTI can't develop properly as human beings and can't be self aware? Come on now. People can do just find without knowing which label their supposed to stickon their foreheads.

kathara

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
MBTI causes more harm than good.

And I don't think I am odd, just others do, and their opinions hold no importance, so ...

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
MBII was helpful to me more in learning how other types saw the world. Think any minority MBII type who can appreciate MBII gets an extra advantage. By understanding other people processed information was a helpful tool/map for me to communicate my ideas better to the different factions. The fact that others are not aware of these distinctions and for the most part assumed or presupposed everyone thought like they did, I feel also gives me an advantage. It is also reassuring to know that although I don’t see them much there are actually other people out there who think like me.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Like everyone is saying. MBTI as a crutch or as a foundation for your personality is a bad thing. As a supplement used for self reflection it can be a great thing.

I think getting an understanding and patient girlfriend is what made me realize my potential.:D MBTI is just something I use to supplement my learning experiences.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
mbti is a model based on observation.

i remember when i didnt know about the jung theory, i was still fairly perceptive of people and their intentions. i just didnt give their personalities a label like 'intp' etc

proof: being able to correctly identify your friends